GTX 980 Ti or GTX 1070 - Help me decide!

Hi LTT community! I'm hoping you'll be able to help me decide on a GPU to get! I'm torn deciding, and think you guys should be the ones to advise from your personal experience! It's my first fully-fledged build, so could do with some guidance.

The rig this is going into contains the following already:

• MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MoBo
  • Intel i7-4790K processor
  • 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair HX620W
  • NVMe SSD and SATA 3 HDD

General uses of the machine will be:

• Gaming on High-FPS games (regularly)
  • Very occasional Video Editing
  • My day to day machine

So far, I know that the pro of the 980 ti is that it (seems to) outperform the 1070 when it comes to Gaming Graphics, but the 1070 has the fact that it's newer and the extra 2GB of VRAM. I can't see much more between them really.

In regards to cost, they're almost identical (at £370 for the 980 ti and £390 for the 1070), so there isn't really much difference there. Unless anyone can recommend anything else card-wise they think would be good around the same kind of price range! 

Thanks!

1070. High clocked 980ti (1500+) can beat a high clocked 1070 but the extra 2GB of vram will help and Pascal seems to be better with Async Compute.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

The 1070 is better supported when it comes to drivers and it runs much cooler since it has quite a bit lower TDP.

On top of the VRAM advantage is a no brainer: 1070. The performance difference is so tiny you probably wont notice anways.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I currently have a 1070 with a 4690k and I love it. I would get 1070 because it is newer so the "future-proofing" (I know it's a bad word.) of your rig will be better. 

1070 without a doubt. Extra vram, probably cheaper, lower TDP

I've been seriously impressed with my GTX 1070. I guess this makes my comment biased :D

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Get a fury x cheaper and on par

And has half the vRAM and double the power consumption and performs 5-10% slower. That would be a no thank you, as the cheapest 1070 costs just $50 more...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Get a fury x cheaper and on par

AMD cards aren't for gamers or anybody who really uses their computer. I don't give a **** what benchmarks say. Loud, annoying cards... fans never stop... temps never come down. And the fury x is older and has less vram... not a great idea. Even RotTR uses more than 6 GB of vram at 1080p when everything is cranked up.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

And has half the vRAM and double the power consumption and performs 5-10% slower. That would be a no thank you, as the cheapest 1070 costs just $50 more...

The fury x can be gotten for 230 pounds where as the 1070 is aroound 400

My life

The fury x can be gotten for 230 pounds where as the 1070 is aroound 400

The Fury non X. And I didn't say 50 british pounds more, in the US, the cheapest 1070 is around $50 more...

But still, 4GBs just aren't enough....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

AMD cards aren't for gamers or anybody who really uses their computer. I don't give a **** what benchmarks say. Loud, annoying cards... fans never stop... temps never come down. And the fury x is older and has less vram... not a great idea. Even RotTR uses more than 6 GB of vram at 1080p when everything is cranked up.

This was a very bad idea posting this.

What are you going to say about the fury x temps eh

They use 6gb of vram on nvidia cards

My life

Dude, you do know that AMD's memory compression is worse than Nvidia's, right?

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I looked at this

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CDx9TW/xfx-video-card-r9fury4qfa

But now that I looked at the Amazon sellers,I realized it is probably a scam.But since it's amazon I would still give it a try

My life

I looked at this

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CDx9TW/xfx-video-card-r9fury4qfa

But now that I looked at the Amazon sellers,I realized it is probably a scam.But since it's amazon I would still give it a try

Take a look at the stores that are selling this card:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0106IJXX0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Both are just launched and have no reviews... I think that this is a scam...

Yeah that's what I was saying

Why would you even order something if you are suspecting that it is a scam. You are basically asking for trouble!

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

The 4GBs are just faster, but still, that doesn't change that those are only 4GBs, which will limit you...

Why would you even order something if you are suspecting that it is a scam. You are basically asking for trouble!

It's worth a try.Amazon has great customer support it's fast and all that

My life

It's worth a try.Amazon has great customer support it's fast and all that

Yes, but if you have the money to buy something that is better and faster (and safer) why not do it?

Yes, but if you have the money to buy something that is better and faster (and safer) why not do it?

money

My life

money

You are risking around $270! IMO, it isn't worth it, but anyway...

You are risking around $270! IMO, it isn't worth it, but anyway...

Not risking it's Amazon.If your in a rush get a 1070 but you can still get a card that's 5-10% slower for 50% of the cost

My life

33 minutes ago, Himommies said:

This was a very bad idea posting this.

What are you going to say about the fury x temps eh

I wish it was a bad idea! Nvidia and Intel BOTH need competition. And let's get real... AMD hasn't been able to provide that competition. I've been rooting for ATI/AMD since 2004. Athlon64 for life... but no more. I went Intel and had a taste of the green kool-aid. I'm never going back to red under current circumstances nor can I recommend team red to people who want to spend good money.