3DTV is now deader, Sony & LG follow Samsung and stop manufacturing them

Master Disaster

Hmm. I have a 3d Projector, and I do occasionally watch some 3d content on it, but this is on a massive screen where I can feel fully immersed, and I can imagine a small screen is certainly less immersive, meaning its less impressive and something people quickly got bored of.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

By far I prefer watching movies at home.

Yep totally agree, but no matter how good my home sound and projector is it's nothing on a very good cinema with Atmos. I watched Force Awakens at the Embassy Theatre (Wellington) then got the blu-ray, it was an epic disappointment at how bad the audio mix was compared to the theater mix.

And to be clear it was the sound mix that was the problem not my equipment, every other movie at home sounds great just not this one.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep totally agree, but no matter how good my home sound and projector is it's nothing on a very good cinema with Atmos. I watched Force Awakens at the Embassy then got the blu-ray, it was an epic disappointment at how bad the audio mix was compared to the theater mix.

And to be clear it was the sound mix that was the problem not my equipment, every other movie at home sounds great just not this one.

I haven't watched The Force Awakens in theaters. I only have the Blu-ray version.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I haven't watched The Force Awakens in theaters. I only have the Blu-ray version.

To be fair it still sounds fine, issue is if you have heard it before but it was much much better. Sometimes not knowing is better.

19 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...I work in 3D stereo conversion for feature films. :P

Well make sure you do a good job or I'll come hunt you down ;)

It took them years to finally realize that 3D is shit and no one really wants it.

3D had it coming. Having to wear clunky glasses to view images that give you eyestrain or even migraines (for me) after 15-20 minutes was not the way to go.

I feel that VR is a fad just like 3D, for much of the same reasons. You have to wear a big clunky HMD which is very expensive, especially for a new technology that still hasn't seen mass adoption yet by the market, and for what? Playing tech demos and arcade-style shallow sideshows?

Not to mention the grid style of movement in VR games (bring up cursor and point to where you want to move) is absolutely unintuitive and annoying. A friend of mine has the VIVE, and playing his VR games on that was beyond annoying for that reason.

Augmented Reality however is the way to go. Google Glass is more akin to that than Pokemon Go, even though these two applications are the most well-known that use AR, up to this point.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

This is kind of sad.  Kind of not. I actually like 3D movies occasionally but I hate setting it up, wearing the glasses. Getting a 3D blu ray.

I was one of the first people to buy into 3d when it started getting kind of big. In fact, my first 3dtv wasn't even LED :P I will miss it.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yea plenty people like it and plenty don't. It does however make much more sense in current form at cinemas than it does at home, which shows by the fact manufactures are discontinuing the feature and the only reason to do that is if it's not being used (in the collective sense).

The cost of the glasses doomed it from the start. If tv's had been able to use polarized glasses then I think it would have stuck around do to adding little to the cost and a neat feature.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Never liked 3D TV. Yeah it was cool in IMAX but THATS WHAT IMAX WAS ABOUT!! Everything they did was 3D and most of the time they did it well! Best one I was at was one of the undersea exploration ones and that was amazing.

Almost no content that worked well or was made specifically for/in 3D came out for home use. TVs as far as i'm concerned were never good enough for it. The whole point of 3D is how immersive it is. 99% of home users could never get that. You'd have to be spending thousands on sound and a tv big enough to fill your entire view + extra as well as better seats to compliment to ever get a good enough experience to make it worth while. THEN you'd need a massive DVD collection made for it (And made well. Things like space and ocean Exploration done excellently. Good and proper filmed in 3D not remastered afterwards into it) 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I love seeing a good 3D flick and I wonder if the lack of options at home will MAKE people spend the money at the theater instead. So I look at this as a way for BOX office numbers to stay as high as possible. If the home option goes away...what other choice do you have if you like/love 3D. Some movies were SO good in 3D... like GOTG. Man... I'll never see it like that again, makes me sad. I was always hoping to get a 3D TV eventually...it just never seemed to be the right time.