Buy New Card or Buy Another 280x?

Orangeator

Okay so I have a Powercolor turbo duo r9 280x. I bought well over a year ago. I have it paired with a fx-8320 (fx-8350 with it's overclock). I can buy another one on eBay right now for under $100 (possibly in the $80 range). Would that be an okay investment? Or should I wait and save my money to purchase a single better GPU. Honestly, I want the best bang for the buck, so how would these two cards preform in a well optimized game for dual GPU setups? 

Edit: I have a 750 watt power supply, hopefully that isn't an issue.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

They would perform quite well, but then again the games that are capable of using both properly makes it imo not worth it.

I wouldn't bother with crossfire tbh. I had it for a year and it was fine but tbh i don't miss it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

They would perform quite well, but then again the games that are capable of using both properly makes it imo not worth it.

I wouldn't bother with crossfire tbh. I had it for a year and it was fine but tbh i don't miss it.

What does "quite well" mean? Like in a perfectly optimized game what other card on the market would they be comparable to?

Sell your 280x for $80 and put that toward a 480.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

What does "quite well" mean? Like in a perfectly optimized game what other card on the market would they be comparable to?

Add 80% fps to whatever you get right now.

If you get 50fps in a game, expect 90 fps in crossfire when it's optimized properly.

edit: no idea what single-gpu you can compare it to tho.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Sell your 280x for $80 and put that toward a 480.

That is what I am thinking. Honestly I really want to crossfire two 8gb rx 480's. That is a goal of mine. I know it isn't the best cost to performance ratio, or power for that matter, but I love it for the looks.

4 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

A 280x is a little better than a 380, so two would be around 980 performance. Maybe Fury performance. But like other people said, I'd rather not do crossfire for a card as powerful as a 380.

I used to be quite active here.

I'm moving away from crossfire, it's frustrating when a game does not use the second card.

Your power supply might be ok, depending on if you OC and your other system components and their total power draw, and if it has the needed extra connectors.  (google a system power usage calculator and plug in your components to work it out.)  Also confirm you MB supports Crossfire.

I think you'll have a better experience upgrading your existing video card  rather than going to crossfire. (warranty, can choose a dealer, no power concerns, end of support life further away...)