Samsung Galaxy S8 Announced?

Flobberknock

A video has been uploaded to the Samsung Display YouTube channel which shows what appears to be the Galaxy S8.

It will be interesting to see how soon after this that Samsung officially unveil something, I'd be amazed if the render in the video doesn't end up being the S8

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

I disagree. Since S6, Samsung has been putting the Edge model first if not only in all their ads. Now all of the sudden they'd open with a non-curved one? And Super AMOLED is such an old tech, it would be more newsworthy if Galaxy S didn't have it. This is at best, a new Galaxy J but I don't actually believe that either. Honestly I'm thinking they just want to push Super AMOLED over whatever LG and other Koreans are selling.

10 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

I disagree. Since S6, Samsung has been putting the Edge model first if not only in all their ads. Now all of the sudden they'd open with a non-curved one? And Super AMOLED is such an old tech, it would be more newsworthy if Galaxy S didn't have it. This is at best, a new Galaxy J but I don't actually believe that either. Honestly I'm thinking they just want to push Super AMOLED over whatever LG and other Koreans are selling.

Old tech? How so?

It's just a Samsung brand name for their OLED displays.

LG is pretty much the only other Korean manufacturer of note.

Since phones are pretty much either OLED or LCD I'm not quite sure what you're expecting?

It just looks like an example device to market their screens. It makes 0 sense to tease their upcoming flagship in this way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Its just a way of saying theyr displays are better :L, which is a good thing. This should not be taken as a flat S8 prototype.

Groomlake Authority

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Old tech? How so?

It's just a Samsung brand name for their OLED displays.

LG is pretty much the only other Korean manufacturer of note.

Since phones are pretty much either OLED or LCD I'm not quite sure what you're expecting?

Old, as in introduced generations upon generations ago. I don't know exactly if it was the first one but the original Galaxy Note had an AMOLED display. It was released in 2011. 5+ years is old as sky in the tech world. 

BTW, AMOLED is not a Samsung-only thing. It's about the only sensible way of making a densely-packed panel these days. Super AMOLED is a Samsung branded thing but it's not about the display, it's about the digitizer.

That isn't even the s8.  

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, Fooshi said:

Most likely this. False alarm, guys.

It is. They were advertising their screen, genius. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

If nothing else, it is not announced as the title implies, until the company says so. And didn't we get a few pics of it already with the curved screen? And all imply (finally) the removal of physical button. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If you just translated the description you would've realized this is a video about how great Samsung AMOLED displays are. Seriously. This is a direct translation from Google Translate:

Samsung Display AMOLED is not only excellent image quality because of its high color reproduction rate, but also because it has thin thickness, light weight and low power consumption thanks to its self-luminous structure.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

If nothing else, it is not announced as the title implies, until the company says so. And didn't we get a few pics of it already with the curved screen? And all imply (finally) the removal of physical button. 

I'll rejoice the loss of physical buttons when we get 16:10 screens to compensate for it, thank you very much.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Naeaes said:

Old, as in introduced generations upon generations ago. I don't know exactly if it was the first one but the original Galaxy Note had an AMOLED display. It was released in 2011. 5+ years is old as sky in the tech world. 

BTW, AMOLED is not a Samsung-only thing. It's about the only sensible way of making a densely-packed panel these days. Super AMOLED is a Samsung branded thing but it's not about the display, it's about the digitizer.

So what would you have them do instead of OLED or LCD? 

Clearly AMOLED is not a Samsung-only thing but Super AMOLED is a Samsung trademark (https://tmdb.eu/trademark/010562701/eu) and therefore a brand name. It's merely a brand name for a display with integrated digitizer produced by Samsung. Samsung has used AMOLED displays since the first Samsung Galaxy S at least, so make that 2010.

Even if that is a version of the S8, this isn't at all an announcement ;) It'd more properly be described as a leak.

Also, it takes but a quick Google search and you'd find a lot more information on the S8 than what you've given here.

A proper unveiling would be something done by Samsung themselves, giving the full story on the device.

Also, you forgot to format it correctly for the news section. You didn't provide a source link.

Thanks for trying though!

These were released today, and were apparently given to GSMArena by a case manufacturer.

gsmarena_007.jpg

gsmarena_006.jpg

A little more interesting ;)

Hopefully it turns out to be true! Gives me great hope for the Note8.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

It just looks like an example device to market their screens. It makes 0 sense to tease their upcoming flagship in this way.

It does look pretty close to what it's apparently going to look like though ;)

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

I'm going to miss the home button in away, unless they have a way to wake the phone without having to press the power button.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm going to miss the home button in away, unless they have a way to wake the phone without having to press the power button.

Fingerprint scanner, double tap to wake or both. The first one is a given actually.

36 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'll rejoice the loss of physical buttons when we get 16:10 screens to compensate for it, thank you very much.

I don't see an issue with 16:9 on phones. Considering we can get fingerprint readers w/o having a physical button, and that it's width that could increase and not height, I don't see 16:10 happening anytime soon.  

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I don't see an issue with 16:9 on phones. Considering we can get fingerprint readers w/o having a physical button, and that it's width that could increase and not height, I don't see 16:10 happening anytime soon.  

If you get rid of physical buttons you'll need something on screen to compensate the functionality. That something will get in the way of 16:9 content if the screen isn't a little wider. The nexus 7 had it right in 2012, it can't be that hard to do the same.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you get rid of physical buttons you'll need something on screen to compensate the functionality. That something will get in the way of 16:9 content if the screen isn't a little wider. The nexus 7 had it right in 2012, it can't be that hard to do the same.

Most of the content where you want to get rid of the on-screen buttons, you'll be in full screen mode anyway.

As mentioned: 16:10 will make the phone wider, not taller. LG is making a 18:9 display which will give you the extra height you seek. Remember that phones are mostly in portrait mode, so the horizontal and vertical resolution are inversed.

I'm glad that Samsung gets rid of the physical buttons. Why? Their layout is an abomination. This change will fix it once and for all (or give you the option).

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Double tap or fingerprint sensor that LG demoed? The one below the glass?

27 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Fingerprint scanner, double tap to wake or both. The first one is a given actually.

Depending on how it works, sure. If it needs the display to be partially on it's a drain on the battery.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

49 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Even if that is a version of the S8, this isn't at all an announcement ;) It'd more properly be described as a leak.

Also, it takes but a quick Google search and you'd find a lot more information on the S8 than what you've given here.

A proper unveiling would be something done by Samsung themselves, giving the full story on the device.

Also, you forgot to format it correctly for the news section. You didn't provide a source link.

Thanks for trying though!

These were released today, and were apparently given to GSMArena by a case manufacturer.

gsmarena_006.jpg

A little more interesting ;)

Hopefully it turns out to be true! Gives me great hope for the Note8.

It does look pretty close to what it's apparently going to look like though ;)

That looks like a micro usb port? Long live that horrible port. 

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Double tap or fingerprint sensor that LG demoed? The one below the glass?

What about volume, home, back, switch task buttons?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

What about volume, home, back, switch task buttons?

On screen buttons? Just to be clear, I'm annoyed by physical front button, not volume buttons. 

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Depending on how it works, sure. If it needs the display to be partially on it's a drain on the battery.

The fingerprint scanner is pretty much always active on all devices that have one. Both that and double tap relies on the DSP to function. That means very little battery drain (not sure about the figures but definitely below 1% per hour, probably more like 0.2%). If the DSP wasn't used, it'd be a constant wakelock on the CPU meaning very poor battery life as it could not go into deep sleep.

37 minutes ago, Repost said:

That looks like a micro usb port? Long live that horrible port. 

That'd be unfortunate, I'm hoping that's just an oversight. I wouldn't buy it if it's not USB Type C.

55 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What content? I have yet to see a phone where the on screen buttons stay present when content is being viewed.

21 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The fingerprint scanner is pretty much always active on all devices that have one. Both that and double tap relies on the DSP to function. That means very little battery drain (not sure about the figures but definitely below 1% per hour, probably more like 0.2%). If the DSP wasn't used, it'd be a constant wakelock on the CPU meaning very poor battery life as it could not go into deep sleep.

Even the ones located under the display panel?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

On screen buttons

exactly, they'll take up screen space and get in the way of 16:9 content unless the screen is 16:10.

AndroidM-preview-N7-2012-port.jpg

Of course you can make them hide but I've tried that, it gets annoying on a touch screen.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*