How to apply my cpu cooler? (not fitting issue?)

unseenblade

heres my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MzPsvV

basically when i place the cpu cooler on the cpu, then you have to screw the cpu cooler on those little things u put around the cpu to lock the cpu cooler in place.
the cpu coolers screws are legit 1cm off of the wholes and does not fit. i cant screw it in. my cpu cooler is touching my cpu, everythin was placed correctly it just cant reach the screws hole.

what do i do now? do i return my cooler and get a smaller one? why didnt pc part picker tell me my ssd AND my cpu cooler wasnt compatible?

That cooler should fit on that board. Either you are doing something wrong or you got a wrong one? A used / returned one with missing stuff?

PC Partpicker doesn't really check if your SSD is compatible, it does check if your cooler is though. Maybe you got screwed? Make some pictures so we can see for ourselfs, front and backplate please :-)

Neither are incompatible.  Not sure what you are talking about.  I used that cooler before and it is very easy to install.  Sounds like you may have installed the 775 socket pad on the back on the mobo.  Socket 1151 does not need it.  Just install the back plate by itself and make sure you have the holes lined up right and it is all the way through.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

That cooler should fit on that board. Either you are doing something wrong or you got a wrong one? A used / returned one with missing stuff?

PC Partpicker doesn't really check if your SSD is compatible, it does check if your cooler is though. Maybe you got screwed? Make some pictures so we can see for ourselfs, front and backplate please :-)

We tried many different methods to put it on. we tried puttinmg the plates flipped, opposite, tryied putting the plates on the cpu cooler then on the motherboard (that didnt work)

i dont have pics the cooler is already in the box spent over 3 hours figuring a way to place it into the screws but it just could not reach.

1 minute ago, unseenblade said:

We tried many different methods to put it on. we tried puttinmg the plates flipped, opposite, tryied putting the plates on the cpu cooler then on the motherboard (that didnt work)

i dont have pics the cooler is already in the box spent over 3 hours figuring a way to place it into the screws but it just could not reach.

so you are returning it? did I get that right?

Have a look here, don't need to change as the cooler is compatible with most mobo and socket :D

http://www.cryorig.com/h5-universal_us.php#mguide 

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

this might help.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

There is only one method to put it on, and it is very easy to install.  All you have to do is watch a youtube vid showing the install.  There are plenty.

There is an extra padding that comes with the back plate that is used for socket 775 motherboards.  If you used that, that could explain why the brackets were too low for the screws to make contact.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

so you are returning it? did I get that right?

well im planning to since i cant get the ssd or cpu cooler to fit

@26 seconds my screw does not fit in the whole thjat its suppose to screw to. its 1cm off.

3 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

this might help.

@26 seconds my screw does not fit in the whole thjat its suppose to screw to. its 1cm off.

Did you put the two brackets on correctly? Or is one of them backwards or something?

They both should be facing in towards the cpu.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Turn the brackets in the other direction so they face up....not down.

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Did you put the two brackets on correctly? Or is one of them backwards or something?

They are on correctly. we tried to flip them, switch them etc.. we tried every possible ocmbo. it just doesnt fit.

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

They both should be facing in towards the cpu.

Yes, it is obvious it seems that he turned them facing down and not up.  The screw holes are supposed to face up as the directions clearly show.

As far as a 2280 SSD NVMe...of course that fits as well.  All he has to do is move the screw mounts more than likely.

They are on correctly. we tried to flip them, switch them etc.. we tried every possible ocmbo. it just doesnt fit.

well then return it, seems like you got some wrong parts delivered.

heres a little screenshot of what im talking about if im shit as explaining: http://prntscr.com/dw76s6

the things i circled. the cpu coolers screws were 1cm off of those holes when the cpucooler was touching the cpu. it wouldnt go in

9 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

I don't think you are telling the truth.  I've said repeatedly I had that cooler myself and you keep ignoring me.

Did you install the pad for the 775 socket to the back on the mobo with the back plate by accident?  There is only one way to put those brackets on.

39 minutes ago, Ensho said:

I don't think you are telling the truth.  I've said repeatedly I had that cooler myself and you keep ignoring me.

Did you install the pad for the 775 socket to the back on the mobo with the back plate by accident?  There is only one way to put those brackets on.

pad for 775 socket? what is that the brackets were placed in many different ways and none of them worked.

2 hours ago, unseenblade said:

pad for 775 socket? what is that the brackets were placed in many different ways and none of them worked.

Are you referring to the installation manual?

Can you post photos of the issue you're having?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, unseenblade said:

heres a little screenshot of what im talking about if im shit as explaining: http://prntscr.com/dw76s6

the things i circled. the cpu coolers screws were 1cm off of those holes when the cpucooler was touching the cpu. it wouldnt go in

PCMR is failing you bad. Can you upload pic directly on forums? Its hard to give any further help (other than telling you to follow manual) if we can't know what the exact issue is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, unseenblade said:

PCMR is failing you bad. Can you upload pic directly on forums? Its hard to give any further help (other than telling you to follow manual) if we can't know what the exact issue is.

E: Slow site, but got it loaded. But I still prefer pic from YOUR issue. For me, after installing 2 Noctua coolers and 212 Evo, the process doesn't seem hard at all. Only reason for having issues is that you are using wrong bracket or have something wrong side up. 1cm is pretty big cap since cooler should be right touching mounting hardware before you tighten it down.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

E: Slow site, but got it loaded. But I still prefer pic from YOUR issue. For me, after installing 2 Noctua coolers and 212 Evo, the process doesn't seem hard at all. Only reason for having issues is that you are using wrong bracket or have something wrong side up. 1cm is pretty big cap since cooler should be right touching mounting hardware before you tighten it down.

Let me try to explain it better.

So my CPU cooler is resting on the CPU how it's suppose to. When you do that, you're suppose to screw the CPU COOLER onto the screws to lock the CPU COOLER in place. My issue is, my screws are legit 1 CM off of the holes that it's suppose to screw into. If I tilt my CPU COOLER to fit in 1hole then it can not fit in the other. The screw can also not go lower or higher.

The brackets are placed CORRECTLY!! I even tried to place them incorrectly and flipped them switched them etc and none of that worked. We followed videos and instructions correctly

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you referring to the installation manual?

Can you post photos of the issue you're having?

I already put my cpu cooler back in its package and closed up my pc, it would be a pain just to set it all up again.

Let me try to explain it better.

So my CPU cooler is resting on the CPU how it's suppose to. When you do that, you're suppose to screw the CPU COOLER onto the screws to lock the CPU COOLER in place. My issue is, my screws are legit 1 CM off of the holes that it's suppose to screw into. If I tilt my CPU COOLER to fit in 1hole then it can not fit in the other. The screw can also not go lower or higher.

The brackets are placed CORRECTLY!! I even tried to place them incorrectly and flipped them switched them etc and none of that worked. We followed videos and instructions correctly

Use some mild pressure. Tighten 1 screw first lightly, then tilt cooler towards other screw. Note that this recuires some force and nerves to do it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv