Stereo, surround sound, vitrual surround sound headphones. Whats the deal?

Lethalmonk

Hey,

so i am really confused about these headphones things. Some people say virtual is good or bad, some people say real surround sound headphones headphones are cheap and a gimmic, other say they are great. Other say a sound card is good enough. 

i have no clue what to, i just need a $100 (give or take) headphones that will be good for gaming, especially in pinpointing peoples location.

Get a desk mic and a good pair of closed headphones OR HyperX Cloud 2s or SteelSeries SIberia 350s.

Virtual surround is a tech that uses 2 channel headphones and a lot of stupid crap to make them seem like 7.1 speakers.

It's a total waste of time and it makes good headphones sound like crap. 

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Get a desk mic and a good pair of closed headphones OR HyperX Cloud 2s or SteelSeries SIberia 350s.

Virtual surround is a tech that uses 2 channel headphones and a lot of stupid crap to make them seem like 7.1 speakers.

It's a total waste of time and it makes good headphones sound like crap. 

normal closed headphones dont offer precision accuracy do they?

i was hoping to get opened back (i would like to hear outside noise.)

3 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

normal headphones dont offer precision accuracy do they?

What is 'precision accuracy'? Sound accuracy? I've got no idea.

I can personally say as a CS player that turning the surround off on my Siberia 650s made them a lot better when it came to hearing players around me. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

What is 'precision accuracy'? Sound accuracy? I've got no idea.

I can personally say as a CS player that turning the surround off on my Siberia 650s made them a lot better when it came to hearing players around me. 

idenetify player location lol 

Virtual is a way to emulate 7.1/5.1 channel whereas your headphone only have 2 channel or 2 speakers and is mostly software which you can download for free.

Real 7.1/5.1 is when you have 7/5 speakers on each side which is ridiculous but there are people who make it, Razer, Gskill etc. They tried implementing it but when using the headset, the transition between speakers when you're moving in game is not smooth and feels lacking in some of the drivers.

Using surround sound feels like using a tin can, soundstage expands but feels hollow and weird for me.

A good headphone is the way to go. Open back headphones is like surround sound feeling more or less but no tin can hollowness or all of those stuff. ATH AD500x/700x are great below $100 for open back with great sound stage & positioning especially in FPS games. This headphone will destroy most gaming headsets and surround sound gimmick they come with.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

3 hours ago, Lethalmonk said:

Hey,

so i am really confused about these headphones things. Some people say virtual is good or bad, some people say real surround sound headphones headphones are cheap and a gimmic, other say they are great. Other say a sound card is good enough. 

i have no clue what to, i just need a $100 (give or take) headphones that will be good for gaming, especially in pinpointing peoples location.

Stereo Sound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precedence_effect
Virtual surround
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_field_synthesis
Surround Sound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound