I'm gonna make a game....

R8ge

I have debated on an engine... and I have chosen unreal.  I have plans to make and open world vr game with a cartoonish look to keep the demand for resources down.  As a game that looks like ark wouldn't work well on a 970 in vr. I don't know if this is certain.  It's just what I think.  Let's say I wanted to make the world full of living things.  For the map size I was thinking 25sq miles of island.  With a high tech city  and towns surrounding it.  This would include npcs and a crafting system with different tiers of items and an economey with quests. 

1.) How long would this take me to finish just the moving mechanic Variable graphics settings and the world.  

2.) How much of this project would I have to complete on this go get early access on steam. 

3.) what would be a valid price point for this game. 10-15-20$

1) Forever

2)basically nill

3)20+

How much experience do you have with unreal?

7 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

I have debated on an engine... and I have chosen unreal.  I have plans to make and open world vr game with a cartoonish look to keep the demand for resources down.  As a game that looks like ark wouldn't work well on a 970 in vr. I don't know if this is certain.  It's just what I think.  Let's say I wanted to make the world full of living things.  For the map size I was thinking 25sq miles of island.  With a high tech city  and towns surrounding it.  This would include npcs and a crafting system with different tiers of items and an economey with quests. 

1.) How long would this take me to finish just the moving mechanic Variable graphics settings and the world.  

2.) How much of this project would I have to complete on this go get early access on steam. 

Ok consider Arma 3. And island of roughly the same size with NPCs everyone with physics running for all those areas. That game took millions of dollars to make. Theres almost no way you could complete that in your lifetime, even if you are extremely experienced

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

12 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

If you work with others then your project would be made significantly faster.

You would take way too long to make this. Your ambitions are too large to make in a realistic timescale. Try making a simpler game and see if that works.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Ok consider Arma 3. And island of roughly the same size with NPCs everyone with physics running for all those areas. That game took millions of dollars to make. Theres almost no way you could complete that in your lifetime, even if you are extremely experienced

Let's take the island size down to my first idea which was 5 sq miles now I would only render 400-400feet. Of the area around you in high quality.  This setting would be on a slider.  And originally the game would wouldn't have any npcs in it.

14 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

I have debated on an engine... and I have chosen unreal.  I have plans to make and open world vr game with a cartoonish look to keep the demand for

Also, I didn't see this initially. VR games don't sell well. If you want ANYBODY to buy any game you make, just make a normal PC game. Don't bother with VR.

resources down.  As a game that looks like ark wouldn't work well on a 970 in vr. I don't know if this is certain.  It's just what I think.  Let's say I wanted to make the world full of living things.  For the map size I was thinking 25sq miles of island.  With a high tech city  and towns surrounding it.  This would include npcs and a crafting system with different tiers of items and an economey with quests. 

Enough to show that you care and that you're working on releasing it in a timely fashion.

Early Access is just meant to release games which are ALMOST complete and need feedback or user input. You shouldn't release an entirely incomplete game on early access.

If it was a high quality Indie Dev team then I might pay $20. But that seems a little steep for what you're proposing. There would have to be a great story and lots of lore.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You would take way too long to make this. Your ambitions are too large to make in a realistic timescale. Try making a simpler game and see if that works.

With unreals procedural  generation I could make the whole island in litttle time...

Its not the size that's the problem, its the mechanics. VR games are insanely hard to make start by making the basic player interactions before you get into the map/world.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also I will work with others... 

1 minute ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

With unrealsvprocedural generation I could make the whole island in litttle time...

But you'd need to get all the assets, voice acting (if needed), 3D models etc.

I don't think you understand the complexity of a game.

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

Its not the size that's the problem, its the mechanics. VR games are insanely hard to make start by making the basic player interactions before you get into the map/world.

+1 . Normal PC games are hard enough to make. VR games are infinitely harder since VR game devs need to do the grunt brute force research to figure out what works and what doesn't.

1 minute ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Also I will work with others... 

How many? and of what skills? and subject expertise?

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

"Almost"

DayZ is still in the early access, 3 years so far.

DayZ isn't a good example to give. I'm trying to show what you would do ideally.

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

Eh, pretty sure it made a decent amount of money and nowadays it seems like that's almost all the developers care about. Kinda like No Man's Sky, it's a best seller of 2016. being in the platinum category, according to steam.

Ok no mans sky is a joke... also I wouldn't add npcs and such until I could.  As a start make the world and crafting system.  

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

At least your not using Cryengine...

Ok my computers below vr spec but runs it all fine.  It's an amd quad core so you know it's bad but it runs it fine.  Once reason I wouldn't use cry engine is cause I'm assuming I can't run it .

Also given the fact that your bio places you in highschool, believe me (I tried to make a skyrim-esc game in sophomore year) YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR EXPERIENCE TO DO THIS!!!! I'm currently working on a small pac-man type game and that is proving difficult.

Try making a cod zombies style of game, it has a healthy does of level design/ art work/ coding, even networking once you get the hang of things, but is much more manageable.

Also a word of advice make something functional not pretty, the nicest looking level is pointless if your mechanics are shite.

Just now, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Ok my computers below vr spec but runs it all fine.  It's an amd quad core so you know it's bad but it runs it fine.  Once reason I wouldn't use cry engine is cause I'm assuming I can't run it .

Cryengine is a pain in the ass to work with.Your computer should be fine if you can run Unreal.

My life

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

Also given the fact that your bio places you in highschool, believe me (I tried to make a skyrim-esc game in sophomore year) YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR EXPERIENCE TO DO THIS!!!! I'm currently working on a small pac-man type game and that is proving difficult.

Try making a cod zombies style of game, it has a healthy does of level design/ art work/ coding, even networking once you get the hang of things, but is much more manageable.

Also a word of advice make something functional not pretty, the nicest looking level is pointless if your mechanics are shite.

I don't want pretty I said I want cartoonish style... graphics isn't really the main concern for vr games as I have seen on my vive.

Another Oneman Project that never gets finished and stay in EA for 298347827382 Years. No thanks.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just judging by the questions you're asking, you're in way over your head and have no real idea what you're doing.

Don't even bother wasting the time. It can be better spent on other things.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 hours ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

I don't want pretty I said I want cartoonish style... graphics isn't really the main concern for vr games as I have seen on my vive.

Again graphics is the easy part of the game (its still very hard, but easier to contract out). Also when I say preaty I mean not using place holder art.

This, which is actually nicer than where you should start...

tmp_30894-images1778185299.jpg

And this...

tmp_30894-images(2)-915971528.jpg

Before jumping into making a game, let alone thinking about publishing, answer: how many projects have I completed? Not like, I started and gave up, but actually saw through to the end. If the answer is one or less, you should be working on individual mechanics, say shooting or a turn system, and building your game when you have made that functional. And no, vr is not a mechanic it is a very complex perspective.

How are you planning on getting the player to move in VR? Moving in VR makes people nauseous. There is a reason most VR games have "teleport" functions instead of "walk" functions. 

5 hours ago, corrado33 said:

How are you planning on getting the player to move in VR? Moving in VR makes people nauseous. There is a reason most VR games have "teleport" functions instead of "walk" functions. 

teleporting around is what I plan on as the main sorce of movement but moving doesnt make you nauseous.  I have a vive and I would know.

Depends on:

How much pre-existing knowledge of the tools you have

How quickly you learn

How much detail you want to put into the world

How much interactive functionality you want to create for the world

To create a simple island filled with basic textured models, that a player can move around in, while do simple things like jumping and looking at moving creatures wouldn't necessarily take a lot of time, providing you already know how to do modelling, animating, texturing, programming.

The more complex your goal is to make things, the exponentially more work it will take to get things to that level. But if you know what you're doing, are making something functionally simple, and you make your game using Unreal Engine and use existing code and models that you modify as the basis for your game, then you can probably move pretty quickly with stuff.

If you plan to put a lot of specific functionality into the game, then it's going to require a lot of work. You can watch some of Wolfire Games' dev videos, and look at their posting dates, for an example of what kind of time it takes to implement various types of engine and gameplay features:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfireGames/videos

I think there's only a couple, or maybe a few devs working on Overgrowth (edit: it looks like they now have 5 programmers), but the Wolfire coders are probably very skilled and experienced at what they do. That said, if you use an existing engine, and stick to pre-existing features, then you don't have to do any of the coding work that they've spent years working on.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

snip

Overgrowth ?!

Are you sure this Game isnt dead?

I have stoped follow it Years ago.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

11 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Overgrowth ?!

Are you sure this Game isnt dead?

I have stoped follow it Years ago.

They're still releasing developer diaries, so it's still going. It's been in production for many years, but it was originally just a single person making it, just like the OP here is thinking of doing. It was more recently that they hired some people to help them.

Recently, they've recreated Lugaro (the prequel to Overgrowth) in the Overgrowth engine, so there's now that to play through. The public mod tools have been refined a lot, and they keep adding cool technical capabilities to the engine. I think they're hired someone to work on the campaign, though I'm uncertain. I know they've been talking about getting to work on the campaign in the more recent videos (like, from the past year).

Overgrowth is an example of how long it takes a single person to make an extremely technically-detailed engine, from scratch. But, I think that a lot of what's in Overgrowth isn't stuff that most developers consider important for their games - even though it's really cool stuff. I think the Overgrowth lead dev is really passionate and curious about making sophisticated solutions for things.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987