G.SKILL Releases New Trident Z RGB Memory Kits

mayhems91
On 12/20/2016 at 11:55 PM, Wix said:

I was gonna make a sarcastic comment on how RGB SSDs will be next, but it seems they've already debuted:

ZADAK511 Shield RGB SSD

RGB condoms??

I would never get it but RGB ram, if done right, actually sounds pretty cool. The trick would be getting the right amount of light on it so it isn't tacky looking.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 hours ago, Scitesh said:

RGB condoms??

For those late night LAN rave parties.

Hell, you can even host your own rave party beside your PC if you deck it out with all the RGB products coming out.

3 hours ago, Wix said:

For those late night LAN rave parties.

Hell, you can even host your own rave party beside your PC if you deck it out with all the RGB products coming out.

Tbh my friend has a pc with the foll specs

I7 6800k

Asus Strix X99 (with cable mod extension AURA rgbs)

2x strix1080s

Corsair 460X(Rgb) with extra fans (Rgb)

Corsair K95 RGB

G502 spectrum

NXZT X52 (the 240mm one)

Corsair Doms with Leds(white)

And Rgb every where else

On 20/12/2016 at 9:38 PM, tlink said:

im wondering how they will get the RGB integration with other manufacturers, how would you implement something like that without it getting very clutterred with cables.

Maybe different xmp profiles? 

Magical Pineapples

Mmmmmm thats nice! Gimme!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

18 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Maybe different xmp profiles?

that would work i guess, and then some silly buggy piece of software to control it from the desktop. i just wish we got an rgb/fanpwm standard already so everything can just talk with each other no matter where in the computer it is or what brand it is, hell even the keyboard and mouse.

44 minutes ago, tlink said:

that would work i guess, and then some silly buggy piece of software to control it from the desktop. i just wish we got an rgb/fanpwm standard already so everything can just talk with each other no matter where in the computer it is or what brand it is, hell even the keyboard and mouse.

That would mean more cables ... 

Magical Pineapples

27 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

That would mean more cables ... 

i don't see how it would, add some more pins to pwm headers and some rgb led strip headers to the motherboard and everything else can just talk over their interfaces they use anyways.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

i don't see how it would, add some more pins to pwm headers and some rgb led strip headers to the motherboard and everything else can just talk over their interfaces they use anyways.

arent all of them a bit too cluttered/ Those are too far away from the slots

Also i need all the fan headers/controllers to maintain Low RPMs although an extension like asus AURA headers would be cool (next to Dimm Slots)

28 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

arent all of them a bit too cluttered/ Those are too far away from the slots

Also i need all the fan headers/controllers to maintain Low RPMs although an extension like asus AURA headers would be cool (next to Dimm Slots)

they could reserve a special zone in memory for the lighting to which the motherboard talks to the rgb controller of the ram, or maybe put a small contact in the dimm lock over which they talk. i dunno rgb feels always so half arsed when none of the components can talk to eachother properly. even asus aura has problems with it which is supposed to be like an ecosystem. their pro gaming aura mobo doesn't have rgb led strip headers but does have aura rgb ligthing on the board while the normal pro gaming does have rgb led strip headers but only has red lights on the board, like what???? and the 1070 strix cant talk to one of the ROG aura boards for some reason? its just annoying that every manufacturer is trying to push their own ecosystem instead of standardizing. its a silly complaint but its just so horribly inefficient.

14 minutes ago, tlink said:

they could reserve a special zone in memory for the lighting to which the motherboard talks to the rgb controller of the ram, or maybe put a small contact in the dimm lock over which they talk. i dunno rgb feels always so half arsed when none of the components can talk to eachother properly. even asus aura has problems with it which is supposed to be like an ecosystem. their pro gaming aura mobo doesn't have rgb led strip headers but does have aura rgb ligthing on the board while the normal pro gaming does have rgb led strip headers but only has red lights on the board, like what???? and the 1070 strix cant talk to one of the ROG aura boards for some reason? its just annoying that every manufacturer is trying to push their own ecosystem instead of standardizing. its a silly complaint but its just so horribly inefficient.

I can see that once a lot more peole start buying this also radical(ly stupid) idea how about portioning a part of Ram to control the colors

13 hours ago, tlink said:

Well not all motherboard have RGB header even than, different manufacturers will have different RGB headers by using different r/g/b/5v or 12v channels. Plus the software side... More clutter in OS. XMP would have most minimal effects, it may be may be a pain in the ass to change colours but most of us just set a mode or color and leave it.

Magical Pineapples

9 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Well not all motherboard have RGB header even than, different manufacturers will have different RGB headers by using different r/g/b/5v or 12v channels. Plus the software side... More clutter in OS. XMP would have most minimal effects, it may be may be a pain in the ass to change colours but most of us just set a mode or color and leave it.

thats my point they should all use the same rgb system instead of working against eachother so they are cross compatable.

20 hours ago, tlink said:

thats my point they should all use the same rgb system instead of working against eachother so they are cross compatable.

It hard to implement ... that legit alot of manufacturer/company working together or somebody is going make one and charge other company to use it so in end pretty unlikely. 

Magical Pineapples

Aww man, now I have 3 kits of memory to consider getting for my PC. Hopefully these won't be super expensive like a set of Plats.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

12 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It hard to implement ... that legit alot of manufacturer/company working together or somebody is going make one and charge other company to use it so in end pretty unlikely. 

well no it isn't that hard to implement, the hard part is to get company's to work together. this is why they often create influence groups or non profit groups to create standards such as pci  and the usb.

2 hours ago, tlink said:

well no it isn't that hard to implement, the hard part is to get company's to work together. this is why they often create influence groups or non profit groups to create standards such as pci  and the usb.

That what i was implying. 

Magical Pineapples

These will probably cost alot. No thanks, I'll go with geil's RGB kits.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

• 2 months later...

Adding to the discussion here, I got this RAM kit for my AMD Ryzen build and it's great.  The software is based on ASUS Aura, though it's a rebranded Aura app with the G.Skill logo.  I believe there is a way to use it with the ASUS Aura app as well, but unfortunately I had to return my ASUS motherboard (bricked itself) so I can't test that.  The LED controller does not affect RAM speed at all, as it does not use the DDR memory interface at all.  All DDR RAM modules since DDR1, possibly even earlier, have a small EEPROM nonvolatile memory chip on them called the SPD EEPROM (serial presence detect), this chip stores the timings, XMP profiles, model number, etc. data so that the PC can identify the RAM and autoconfigure the correct settings for it.  This EEPROM chip is connected over a secondary communication interface called SMBUS, which itself is a slightly restricted version of I2C.  Your chipset/southbridge contains at least one SMBUS host controller, and that's how the PC hardware communicates with the SPD EEPROM.  G.Skill uses this SMBUS interface for their LED controller, not the main memory bus.  I'm working on reverse engineering this protocol so I can write a Linux driver for the RGB controller and integrate it into my RGB music visualizer application.  I managed to send a command set using i2cset on Linux that changes the color of the RAM, so I should be able to reimplement it properly soon.