i7-3930K outdated yet?

Luckris

So I'm re-doing my PC. last time I was into this stuff was around 2014, so I'm way out of date. And I can't really do anything without a blue screen crash. 

I want a 6 core since I render 3D and do photo and video work, but i don't know if the 3930k is outdated by now. I'll be getting it for a little under 200$ for the cpu, I'm also buying a new copy of windows 10, and an ssd to put it on, plus a WD black for my games. My plan this should be a solid working build that I can run 2-3 1080p monitors on, or a 2k curved. I'm running on a 780, and I'm going to buy better ram but i got like 14gb of bestbuy ram somehow... I thought I had way more but everything is getting old and broken in my PC. 

Not looking to spend too much, I'd rather put more money into my cars, thanks. 

The 3930k is 2 generations old, but should still will be within 10-15% of today's comparable chips in terms of performance. I am not sure about prices on it, but that seems like a reasonable amount for it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Don't upgrade the CPU. It's not worth re buying RAM and mobo. Get an SSD for sure. Monitors are good. Maybe upgrade your graphics card.

well so far I still have my 3930k all good. If you think the extra bit of performance would help your dollar/sec ratio or something similar then go for the upgrade but the 3930k is still pretty good.

pretty much just grab more ssd/hdd and a better gpu would be a better choice or if you can hold on to your cash and just upgrade the entire system next year or something and buy a beer and pizza for left overs :D

Live your life like a dream.

Short answer no

Longer answer, you can indeed get better but the price to upgrade isn't worth the minimal performance gained as that chip's performance seems to have held up well, if I were you I'd get a SSD for the boot drive as that is a large improvement for much less cost

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Short answer no

Longer answer, you can indeed get better but the price to upgrade isn't worth the minimal performance gained as that chip's performance seems to have held up well, if I were you I'd get a SSD for the boot drive as that is a large improvement for much less cost

Sounds good to me. 250gb ssd for windows 10. I plan on getting a WD black, or if I can find a 1TB ssd for cheap, for my games and editing softwares. I hate damn loading screens. 

13 minutes ago, Joshua Ondangan said:

well so far I still have my 3930k all good. If you think the extra bit of performance would help your dollar/sec ratio or something similar then go for the upgrade but the 3930k is still pretty good.

pretty much just grab more ssd/hdd and a better gpu would be a better choice or if you can hold on to your cash and just upgrade the entire system next year or something and buy a beer and pizza for left overs :D

Liquor + Pizza would be nice. But I been leaving work with 6hrs before I have to go back in this past week. 
3930k it is. GPU.... Any recommendations on that? To me it looks like their just playing around a lot with peoples money.

The 3930K is a beast!

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

An upgrade will set you back a pretty penny and probably won't give you as much of a bang as you want, once zen comes out if it is as good as AMD has claimed it will be an upgrade to ~current intel performance without having to shell out as much

2 minutes ago, Luckris said:

if I can find a 1TB ssd for cheap

Does this exist? lol

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

3 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

An upgrade will set you back a pretty penny and probably won't give you as much of a bang as you want, once zen comes out if it is as good as AMD has claimed it will be an upgrade to ~current intel performance without having to shell out as much

Does this exist? lol

Found a few for 190$. Not bad considering I'm used to prices from 3 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Luckris said:

Found a few for 190$

misread, But iirc I've heard we should get an 8 core 16 thread cpu for ~$250, don't got a source for you, just from the tech guys of youtube and I'm not searching through weeks of videos to try to find it

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

14 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

misread, But iirc I've heard we should get an 8 core 16 thread cpu for ~$250, don't got a source for you, just from the tech guys of youtube and I'm not searching through weeks of videos to try to find it

That's for the new 2011 socket though? If so i'd have to upgrade everything. 

zen will be am4, but you're right you'd have to upgrade your mobo too, but since you said you're looking at getting new ram anyway and ddr4 is the same price as ddr3. You said everything was breaking in your pc, and if your mobo dies you'll have to replace it anyway, so you'd get all the comfort of reliable hardware and high performance. Just my opinion though

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

55 minutes ago, Luckris said:

Found a few for 190$. Not bad considering I'm used to prices from 3 years ago. 

If that is USD that is almost double what they are worth, you can find them as low as $100USD used.

Also lga 2011 boards aren't cheap, expect to pay $200-$250USD for a decent one used.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

we have run a 3930K on our video editing machine for the past 4 1/2 years and its still running strong. There's nothing wrong with it, but the graphics card and a bunch of other things in that machine died, so we are replacing the entire system with a i7-6850K. 3930K is a boss processor. End of story !

48 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

If that is USD that is almost double what they are worth, you can find them as low as $100USD used.

Also lga 2011 boards aren't cheap, expect to pay $200-$250USD for a decent one used.

I have an old MSI Big Bang XPower 2, but both bios got corrupt on it. so I'm on a basic gigabyte one atm. 
If you can find a nice 1TB SSD for 100$ link me lol. 

46 minutes ago, BenoitWW said:

we have run a 3930K on our video editing machine for the past 4 1/2 years and its still running strong. There's nothing wrong with it, but the graphics card and a bunch of other things in that machine died, so we are replacing the entire system with a i7-6850K. 3930K is a boss processor. End of story !

That's what I'm hearing. Intel 6 core line-up is not really a bang for buck type of deal. But hell, I'm getting a 6 core for under 200$. 

Alright I'm going to get the Win 10 usb, 250Gb SSD, and a 4TB WD Black. Just to get my PC running again. I'll save GPU & CPU for Christmas sale or wait for price to drop on GPUs since I want a 1080 now. By that time I'll be ready to rebuild another custom loop. 

And hopefully a new installation of windows and all new storage fixes everything. I'll probably keep my old hard drives around for if I need something off them. I don't want to risk spreading a virus in the hard drives I had since December 2013. 

23 minutes ago, Luckris said:

I have an old MSI Big Bang XPower 2, but both bios got corrupt on it. so I'm on a basic gigabyte one atm. 
If you can find a nice 1TB SSD for 100$ link me lol. 

That's what I'm hearing. Intel 6 core line-up is not really a bang for buck type of deal. But hell, I'm getting a 6 core for under 200$. 

I meant the cpu not the ssd, $200USD is a lot for an used 3930k, if you go on ebay there are some going for about $100-$140USD.

If you already have a 2011 board then it has great price to performance, if you oc it it should be able to match, or perform better then a 5820k/6800k.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •