Just some rants about BF1 running on i5 rigs

Raccatography

I've got an i5 4670k (overclocked to 4.1GHz) and a GTX 980 Ti (mildly overclocked) and the game runs terribly on my 1080p 144hz monitor. Oddly enough, my frames stay above 60fps more when I'm on my 1600p monitor. What the heck. This game is thirsty for CPU power. It's ridiculous that an i5 6600k is the bare minimum for this game. 

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

Ive been saying for a year now that people should be looking at i7's for gaming builds as newer games are going to start wanting more threads and cores

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Increase the resolution scale a bit, so it slows down the gpu and the cpu can catch up.
I get about 90fps at 1440p with my 1080, which isn't much better than a 980ti.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

2 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Increase the resolution scale a bit, so it slows down the gpu and the cpu can catch up.
I get about 90fps at 1440p with my 1080, which isn't much better than a 980ti.

1080 is quite a bit better than a 980ti like 25 - 30%

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/palit-gtx-1080-gamerock-premium-edition-review/19/

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Well then.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

7 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

Well then.

Increasing the resolution scale doesn't lessen the stress on the CPU, it just increases the stress on the GPU, people should stop believing that increasing the resolution scale would lessen the stress on the CPU when it does not.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

6600k isnt the  bare minimum. I saw enough benchs with weaker cpu's that managed the game. But you need more RAM. 8 doesnt cut it in BF1.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 2016-12-02 at 4:22 PM, Raccatography said:

I've got an i5 4670k (overclocked to 4.1GHz) and a GTX 980 Ti (mildly overclocked) and the game runs terribly on my 1080p 144hz monitor. Oddly enough, my frames stay above 60fps more when I'm on my 1600p monitor. What the heck. This game is thirsty for CPU power. It's ridiculous that an i5 6600k is the bare minimum for this game. 

I dunno what to say I'm not having any problems with my 4670k and 780 ti.  I do have 24gb of ram though.

10 hours ago, Praesi said:

6600k isnt the  bare minimum. I saw enough benchs with weaker cpu's that managed the game. But you need more RAM. 8 doesnt cut it in BF1.

agreed especially when they say that an AMD FX 6XXX series is it's equal for amd min requirements =P

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

If it's a bottleneck it's because the gpu is pumping out more frames than the cpu can handle.
Give the gpu more stress, balance it out.
And that's clearly working for him if he gets more frames at 1600p.

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

8 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

If it's a bottleneck it's because the gpu is pumping out more frames than the cpu can handle.

Lol. The GPU can't render more frames than what the CPU tells it to. Increasing the resolution will just seemingly reduce or get rid of the CPU bottleneck by creating a GPU bottleneck. It doesn't solve anything.

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

24 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Lol. The GPU can't render more frames than what the CPU tells it to. Increasing the resolution will just seemingly reduce or get rid of the CPU bottleneck by creating a GPU bottleneck. It doesn't solve anything.

I was under the impression that a cpu bottleneck was cause by a more powerful gpu, thus the gpu performing faster than the cpu.
I was also under the impression that this happens at lower resolution and thus increasing the resolution will give the gpu more work to do, slowing it down and removing the bottleneck.

If that's not what a bottleneck is then I think you should explain it to me.

Just now, leelaa14 said:

I was under the impression that a cpu bottleneck was cause by a more powerful gpu, thus the gpu performing faster than the cpu.
I was also under the impression that this happens at lower resolution and thus increasing the resolution will give the gpu more work to do, slowing it down and removing the bottleneck.

If that's not what a bottleneck is then I think you should explain it to me.

A CPU bottleneck occurs when the CPU is maxed out and can't push any more frames, while the GPU is capable of rendering more frames, but can't due to the CPU being unable to feed it. So the GPU has the ability to perform better, but is being limited by the CPU, and so whenever the CPU doesn't feed it it's idle.

The reason why CPU bottlenecks usually occur at lower resolutions is the GPU isn't being stressed too much with pushing too many pixels, so it has the potential to render more frames. And that's what we all want: frames. When you increase the resolution, you create a GPU bottleneck so that it doesn't have the ability to render more frames anymore. But this doesn't solve the issue. Most people want more fps. And it's the CPU that is stopping you from getting more fps.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

3 minutes ago, Monarch said:

A CPU bottleneck occurs when the CPU is maxed out and can't push any more frames, while the GPU is capable of rendering more frames, but can't due to the CPU being unable to feed it. So the GPU has the ability to perform better, but is being limited by the CPU, and so whenever the CPU doesn't feed it it's idle.

The reason why CPU bottlenecks usually occur at lower resolutions is the GPU isn't being stressed too much with pushing too many pixels, so it has the potential to render more frames. And that's what we all want: frames. When you increase the resolution, you create a GPU bottleneck so that it doesn't have the ability to render more frames anymore. But this doesn't solve the issue. Most people want more fps. And it's the CPU that is stopping you from getting more fps.

What you said kinda sounds like what I said, I was exactly spot on but I'm not really far off.
Cpu not being able to keep up with the gpu is what I said, which is what you're saying.
Can you explain why he is getting more frames at a higher resolution then?

17 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

What you said kinda sounds like what I said, I was exactly spot on but I'm not really far off.
Cpu not being able to keep up with the gpu is what I said, which is what you're saying.

Yes but what you said is false.

1 hour ago, leelaa14 said:

When did you correct me?
I didn't say increasing the resolution scale will speed up the cpu, I said it will slow down the gpu
Meaning the cpu can catch up, thus balancing it out.
And I only replied in the same manor you did.

Increasing the resolution doesn't slow down the gpu, it just gives it more to do so it's fully busy. The CPU won't really catch up, it's just the GPU simply won't have the potential to render more frames. The GPU isn't pumping out more frames than the CPU can handle, that's impossible as the CPU is the brain of a computer that processes everything and feeds that data to the GPU. And increasing resolution can't result in higher performance. He probably played another map, or was in a situations where the GPU didn't have as much to render.

15 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Increasing the resolution doesn't slow down the gpu, it just gives it more to do so it's fully busy. The CPU won't really catch up, it's just the GPU simply won't have the potential to render more frames. The GPU isn't pumping out more frames than the CPU can handle, that's impossible as the CPU is the brain of a computer that processes everything and feeds that data to the GPU. And increasing resolution can't result in higher performance. He probably played another map, or was in a situations where the GPU didn't have as much to render.

Ok, maybe I should of put a key word in there. Wanting. The gpu is wanting to pump out more frames than the cpu can handle.
Is that better?

Also is this post false then 

" A CPU bottleneck is when a CPU is incapable of keeping up with other hardware, generally the graphics card, in a certain task. You will experience subpar FPS, slowdowns, or in worst case scenarios a stuttery near unplayable gaming experience. Unlike with a GPU where you can increase the FPS by lowering the in game settings or resolution, for the most part there isn't a way to reduce a CPU bottleneck (some in game settings like shadows, lighting, view distance, or other game specific options can help reduce CPU strain but only to an extent). This is why it is important that you pick the right CPU for the games you wish to play"

Taken from this reddit post here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2gzkzq/discussion_cpu_bottlenecks_explained/

And if it is false, why should I believe you over that?

38 minutes ago, Monarch said:

53 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

You're both right, just saying it in SLIGHTLY different ways .....

@leelaa14 just means that increasing the res allows the GPU to be utilised more, the CPU will still be maxed aka more of a balance will be achieved in terms of utilisation

1080P works the CPU harder than the GPU in some games

1440P allows the GPU to be worked harder

4k well, GPU is at the Olympics, but the CPU still needs to work it's arse off to feed the GPU

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 hour ago, leelaa14 said:

Ok, maybe I should of put a key word in there. Wanting. The gpu is wanting to pump out more frames than the cpu can handle.
Is that better?

Also is this post false then 

" A CPU bottleneck is when a CPU is incapable of keeping up with other hardware, generally the graphics card, in a certain task. You will experience subpar FPS, slowdowns, or in worst case scenarios a stuttery near unplayable gaming experience. Unlike with a GPU where you can increase the FPS by lowering the in game settings or resolution, for the most part there isn't a way to reduce a CPU bottleneck (some in game settings like shadows, lighting, view distance, or other game specific options can help reduce CPU strain but only to an extent). This is why it is important that you pick the right CPU for the games you wish to play"

Taken from this reddit post here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2gzkzq/discussion_cpu_bottlenecks_explained/

And if it is false, why should I believe you over that?

No, that post isn't false. But what you said is. It seems to me like you kind of do know what a bottleneck is, you just don't fully understand it.

58 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

No, he said the gpu is pumping out more frames than the cpu can handle, which is impossible. He also said that increasing the resolution gets rid of the bottleneck and implied it increases performance. Which is also false. Creating a bottleneck to get rid of another one is not a solution.

I'm getting over 100fps with my 1070 oced to 1650 on the core and running max settings (anti-aliasing off) with my i5 6600k @ 4.6ghz on BF1 in 1440p on my 144hz monitor.

1 hour ago, stealth80 said:

@leelaa14 just means that increasing the res allows the GPU to be utilised more, the CPU will still be maxed aka more of a balance will be achieved in terms of utilisation

1080P works the CPU harder than the GPU in some games

1440P allows the GPU to be worked harder

4k well, GPU is at the Olympics, but the CPU still needs to work it's arse off to feed the GPU

It was about 4am when I posted it, tiredness was getting the best of me.
I get that I've worded it wrong.

Thread cleaned to remove the useless bickering.

Please keep the thread clean from now on and keep the Community Standards in mind;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Everyone is talking about bottlenecks again... Am I the only one that sees an issue with low RAM when BF1 wants about 10GB?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Everyone is talking about bottlenecks again... Am I the only one that sees an issue with low RAM when BF1 wants about 10GB?

Nope. 8GB is not enough. Should be known by now.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO