Temp Questions 5820K

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
Just now, wolfboytech said:

I would be very grateful, senpai, please teach me the ways of not cooking my computer

Why don't we start by having you clear your CMOS so we can start with fresh settings?

Hello everyone, your daily silicon lottery loser here.

I have a new mobo and Asrock has the pre-set dials for dialing in the voltage and OC's. I have the 4.2GHz preset selected and I had some issues with Heaven crashing and going black for a long while, then coming back so I upped the voltage to 1.68 and now it's stable. The only problem I have is that I don't know if I can push it harder. I monitored the results in HWMonitor Pro from CPUID while running the stress test in Aida64 Extreme Trial. I concluded that on the hottest core I was seeing around 61-63°C, however the Package temp was around 70-73°C. Which should I pay attention to? Do you think I can make the jump to 4.4GHz?

I have my CPU cooled with the DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX liquid cooler.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

4 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Hello everyone, your daily silicon lottery loser here.

I have a new mobo and Asrock has the pre-set dials for dialing in the voltage and OC's. I have the 4.2GHz preset selected and I had some issues with Heaven crashing and going black for a long while, then coming back so I upped the voltage to 1.68 and now it's stable. The only problem I have is that I don't know if I can push it harder. I monitored the results in HWMonitor Pro from CPUID while running the stress test in Aida64 Extreme Trial. I concluded that on the hottest core I was seeing around 61-63°C, however the Package temp was around 70-73°C. Which should I pay attention to? Do you think I can make the jump to 4.4GHz?

I have my CPU cooled with the DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX liquid cooler.

1.68V?! thats too high afaik.... o.O 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

2 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

so I upped the voltage to 1.68 and now it's stable.

SAY WHAT??

Seriously though, those temps and that voltage don't match up unless those were temps with little to no load on the CPU.  Especially considering that your using an AIO.

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

1.68V?! thats too high afaik.... o.O 

What would you recommend?

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

2 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

If you are just starting out, use 1.3 as the standard to determine what kind of chip you're working with.

4.4 @ 1.3 = below average

4.5 @ 1.3 = average

4.6 @ 1.3 = above average and so on.

Once you've determined that, start increasing as you'd like based on your cooling systems capabilities.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

SAY WHAT??

Seriously though, those temps and that voltage don't match up unless those were temps with little to no load on the CPU.  Especially considering that your using an AIO.

What do you mean? Gimme a sec and I'll post pictures.

no more than 1.35v

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

no more than 1.35v

but it crashes at anything under 1.5, I think.

but it crashes at anything under 1.5, I think.

Something's wrong then.  If that chip will not boot at stock speeds with anything less then 1.5v, you need to request a RMA from Intel immediately.

1.6V?? You're crazy, I hope for your sake you didn't fry the CPU. The MAX you should go with conventional cooling is 1.35V which should get you to at the very least 4.4 Ghz

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

5 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

1.6V?? You're crazy, I hope for your sake you didn't fry the CPU. The MAX you should go with conventional cooling is 1.35V which should get you to at the very least 4.4 Ghz

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Something's wrong then.  If that chip will not boot at stock speeds with anything less then 1.5v, you need to request a RMA from Intel immediately.

10 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

no more than 1.35v

As an update, it actually is 1.86v. See the pictures below. Maybe you can help me get it right because i'm not good at just digging in and the interface is god awful. I'm grateful for any help offered.

20161130_092335.jpg

20161130_092404.jpg

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Oh, by the way.  If you do call Intel to request a RMA, do not mention the voltage required to get the chip working or they will know that you overvolted the chip which is not covered until warranty.  Just tell them that it doesn't boot with stock settings.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Oh, by the way.  If you do call Intel to request a RMA, do not mention the voltage required to get the chip working or they will know that you overvolted the chip which is not covered until warranty.  Just tell them that it doesn't boot with stock settings.

It does boot with stock, I just used the "one click OC" from AsRock and it got up to 1.7v, it wasn't stable so I bumped it up.

3 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

As an update, it actually is 1.86v. See the pictures below. Maybe you can help me get it right because i'm not good at just digging in and the interface is god awful. I'm grateful for any help offered.

Haha.  Bud, you are looking at the wrong thing.  That is CPU input voltage which is entirely different than CPU VCore!

CPU input voltage is what you are running through the FIVR, not the CPU cores directly.

If its running at 1.8 volts, turn it off, now.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, done12many2 said:

Haha.  Bud, you are looking at the wrong thing.  That is CPU input voltage which is entirely different than CPU VCore!

Okay.. What is VCore? I was talking about the voltage?

This is why you shouldn't attempt overclocking and especially not overvolting without doing a ton of reading first, as well as doing the necessary preparations (proper cooling, Intel Tuning Plan, etc)

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

CPU input voltage is what you are running through the FIVR, not the CPU cores directly.

Okay.. So can I go higher, or should I just bury my head in the sand and call it quits? Also, what is FIVR?

1 minute ago, steffeeh said:

This is why you shouldn't attempt overclocking and especially not overvolting without doing a ton of reading first, as well as doing the necessary preparations (proper cooling, Intel Tuning Plan, etc)

But nothing is on fire and they have it built-into the mobo so why shouldn't I? 

3 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Okay.. So can I go higher, or should I just bury my head in the sand and call it quits? Also, what is FIVR?

Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator.  On HWE and BWE chips, the FIVR is on the chip itself unlike Skylake and other chips where the regulation occurs on the board.  Having the FIVR on the chip allows for better voltage regulation, but increases CPU temps just a bit.  It's a give and take, but more important to have it the way it is with these higher core count chips.

2 minutes ago, steffeeh said:

I think the point he was trying to make is that you shouldn't mess around with settings if your not sure what they actually do.  You need to read your manual, or go online to find a guide to make sure your tweaking the ritght settings.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator.  On HWE and BWE chips, the FIVR is on the chip itself unlike Skylake and other chips where the regulation occurs on the board.  Having the FIVR on the chip allows for better voltage regulation, but increases CPU temps just a bit.  It's a give and take, but more important to have it the way it is with these higher core count chips.

Do I even have that? I am so sorry, and you must think me a complete idiot.. But I really.. Really.. am lost. I just clicked a few buttons and wondered if I could go further or should stay? up until 4.6 it's blue (which means that it's OK to do with the detected hardware, according to ASrock). So I apparently can keep pushing it until 4.4?

Don't sweat it bud.  I'll walk you through it.

We may be able to change the opening sentence in your original post after it's all said and done.  :D

Do I even have that? I am so sorry, and you must think me a complete idiot.. But I really.. Really.. am lost. I just clicked a few buttons and wondered if I could go further or should stay? up until 4.6 it's blue (which means that it's OK to do with the detected hardware, according to ASrock). So I apparently can keep pushing it until 4.4?

You should probably slow down so we can cover a few things before you go any further.

Precisely. Especially when messing with the settings you don't know about can fry the internal electronics of the chip giving you no other option than to buy a new one for hundreds of dollars (unless you're insurance covers some of it), because warranty don't cover these things unless you buy an extension.

EDIT: I would advice reseting the settings of the overclock to the standard ones and wait a few days until attempting it. Meanwhile you can do your homework on it and next time you'll know precisely what to do :)

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU