To Predator X34 or not to Predator X34??

KSP
Go to solution Solved by tohico,

All 3 of them are very good, but since you have the budget for it, I'd exclude the PG278Q for one simple reason - why would you get TN panel, if you don't have to.

Also don't worry about the response time that much, the 1 ms isn't real anyway. The PG278Q's response time is 3 ms with overdrive set to normal, PG279Q is 5 ms at 144 Hz which is very good for IPS, and the X34 is 9 ms or 7.5 ms if ran overclocked at 100 Hz. I compare it with overdrive set to medium, because that's what you're going to most likely use - no OD is significantly slower and maxed out OD has noticeable overshoots. Also, since we're talking about milliseconds. If you want it for competitive play too, don't forget about input lags which are always more problematic on larger resolutions. The PG279Q is the winner here, 3.25 ms, then PG278Q 4 ms, and the X34 9.2 ms, which is still very good for such large resolution these days.

Regarding the quality, all these are gaming monitors - so the quality won't be the best on any of them (in 90% cases, gaming oriented = bad quality) compared to their price tags. But that doesn't change the fact that they're amazing monitors, I just recommend you to do your research first to know what to expect and don't be afraid to send it back if you're not happy with the QC of the piece you get. But all the issues aren't usually associated with gaming / media use, rather than with the quality any human being would expect for those price tags. You know, like uniformity, color shifts, blb / glow, not derping out, etc...

You probably already know this, but solid research materials: (not regarding QC though)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

Hello guys,

So I'm building a new rig in the next month ish with the o-so-popular 6700K and EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING. Since the GTX 1080 can't necessarily play 4K 60FPS, I've decided to go for 1440p higher(ish) refresh rate gaming. Ive narrowed it down to the following monitors:

Acer Predator X34 - $1300 USD

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q - $636 USD

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q - $735 USD

Now, I've heard that the X34 is probably the best monitor for gaming, but at $1300, it would be really tough to swallow. Also, I've heard Acer has some minor quality issues, but from what I've seen its quite uncommon.

Next are the PG278Q and PG279Q. These things look great on charts, I mean sure, their don't have the fancy ultra wide experience, but they are also half the price of the X34. However, I have heard that ASUS has some quality issues with their monitors. Also, within these 2 ASUS monitors, I don't know which one to choose. The PG279Q has a 165Hz refresh rate, but also has a 4ms response time. The PG278Q has a 144Hz refresh rate, but a 1ms response time. I don't know which one would be better overall, higher refresh rate or a lower response time.

Personally, I am leaning towards the Predator over the ASUS monitors, however, the $1300 price tag is really gonna leave a hole in my wallet. But.... but... the ultra wide....oh man the ultra wide 100Hz IPS....oh man.... wait... uhh right, where were we. Ah yes, so... to Predator X34 or not to Predator X34?

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

I vote for PG279Q. IPS display, 165HZ refresh rate, Gsync, and of course, 1440p.

unless you want a 21:9 setup, go for either the 279/278. the difference between the two is only refresh rate and display base. 279Q is IPS 278Q is TN

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

All 3 of them are very good, but since you have the budget for it, I'd exclude the PG278Q for one simple reason - why would you get TN panel, if you don't have to.

Also don't worry about the response time that much, the 1 ms isn't real anyway. The PG278Q's response time is 3 ms with overdrive set to normal, PG279Q is 5 ms at 144 Hz which is very good for IPS, and the X34 is 9 ms or 7.5 ms if ran overclocked at 100 Hz. I compare it with overdrive set to medium, because that's what you're going to most likely use - no OD is significantly slower and maxed out OD has noticeable overshoots. Also, since we're talking about milliseconds. If you want it for competitive play too, don't forget about input lags which are always more problematic on larger resolutions. The PG279Q is the winner here, 3.25 ms, then PG278Q 4 ms, and the X34 9.2 ms, which is still very good for such large resolution these days.

Regarding the quality, all these are gaming monitors - so the quality won't be the best on any of them (in 90% cases, gaming oriented = bad quality) compared to their price tags. But that doesn't change the fact that they're amazing monitors, I just recommend you to do your research first to know what to expect and don't be afraid to send it back if you're not happy with the QC of the piece you get. But all the issues aren't usually associated with gaming / media use, rather than with the quality any human being would expect for those price tags. You know, like uniformity, color shifts, blb / glow, not derping out, etc...

You probably already know this, but solid research materials: (not regarding QC though)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

I was waiting for the x34p to come out, but when it got delayed I thought about it some more and decided to get the ASUS pg279q. I'm not sure if I just "won the monitor lotto" or if ASUS has really stepped up their QA, but the monitor I received has almost 0 backlight bleed and no other issues to report. One of the reasons I didn't get the x34 is because it's too expensive for a flawed monitor (scanlines, coil whine, blue bands, bleed, not OC to 100hz, etc.). I mostly play FPS games so the fps and refresh rate are really important. 1440p is still probably the sweet spot for gaming for another couple of years until gfx cards can more easily run 4k at 120hz or more on a single card.

I've already decided on the x34, it's just a matter of time. Anyone think there will be any good black friday/cyber monday deals on this monitor?

4 hours ago, greaves1111 said:

I've already decided on the x34, it's just a matter of time. Anyone think there will be any good black friday/cyber monday deals on this monitor?

don't hijack a thread, make your own. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

If any of you are still looking for a deal, you can can grab it from Acer Factory direct refurbished here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262526601449

I've had really good luck with their refurbished monitors, and you can always send it back if you're not happy. I just ordered one of these, perhaps I'll post when I get it. 

Edit: sorry, it's the acer official recertified store