Haswell vs Kaby Lake

I currently have an i5 4690k, and some extra cash, once kaby lake comes out, should i upgrade? I understand that the performance upgrade isnt going to be amazing, but it sounds like kaby lake is going to be good 

Kaby Lake is skylake with very minor clock speed increases. It's not worth the money. The money would be better spent on a GPU or case or something

That's an F in the profile pic

no. save your money for next year's GPU

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, Sexyonir said:

I currently have an i5 4690k, and some extra cash, once kaby lake comes out, should i upgrade? I understand that the performance upgrade isnt going to be amazing, but it sounds like kaby lake is going to be good 

I wouldn't bother. the upgrades would be marginal. buy a better graphics card or some steam games. i'm avoiding kaby lake due to no Windows 7 support

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

It is hard to say. It is not only the CPU. 

We have to look up to the new features of the Kabylake Motherboards too. Like usb3.1, Thunderbolt 3.0, 2xm.2 Pcie Gen3  x4

If you don't need them, I don't recommend to upgrade.

THe CPU Performance will be max. 10-15%. 

They will release the Intel Coffee Lake Platform with 6-cores in 2018 which will support the next Cannonlake Platform too. Then it will worth it.

Didn't I read something saying that Kaby Lake was looking like a 1% IPC increase over Skylake? If this is true then it would need to have a very high stock clockspeed (as well as overclocking headroom) to have any noticeable improvement over Skylake.

It's going to give a marginal performance boost at best. If you're looking for a CPU upgrade, go for the i7 4790K.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

17 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Kaby Lake is skylake with very minor clock speed increases. It's not worth the money. The money would be better spent on a GPU or case or something

Kaby Lake is skylake with a slight IPC boost, onboard Thunderbolt 3 controller, significantly better iGPU if Intel is to be believed, and better support for the newest revisions of certain features, such as USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Kaby Lake is skylake with a slight IPC boost, onboard Thunderbolt 3 controller, significantly better iGPU if Intel is to be believed, and better support for the newest revisions of certain features, such as USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Slight-meaning 1-5%. Thunderbolt doesn't really matter. I would assume OP has a dedicated graphics card. And very few devices need the full bandwidth of even 3.0. To someone this will matter, and it may to OP. I'm just saying that for most people Skylake and Kaby Lake will perform basically the same 

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

Slight-meaning 1-5%. Thunderbolt doesn't really matter. I would assume OP has a dedicated graphics card. And very few devices need the full bandwidth of even 3.0. To someone this will matter, and it may to OP. I'm just saying that for most people Skylake and Kaby Lake will perform basically the same 

Thunderbolt is mattering more and more, and we shouldn't assume anything about the OP. If they don't have info pertaining to their problems/questions on their profile, or they don't say it in the thread, then we could potentially mislead them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.