Dual Link DVI Question

Kevintosh

Hey folks,

I recently bought a S27A850DS from Amazon. I also bought a DVI to Mini Display-port Adapter from Apple. 

After watching some episodes of LTT I noticed that a Dual Link DVI to Mini Display-port Adapter is required. Now I spend 30 bucks for the wrong product.

What is going to happen, if I use the Dual Link DVI cable of the Monitor with the DVI to Mini Display-port Adapter (the monitor has a resolution of 2650 x 1440 p - 27")?

you need dual link dvi tu ran higher than 1200 resolution...also you could use display port to mini display port. I think that your monitor will down scale to the 1080 p res or something or it won't work at all....

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Oh yes! Sorry. Mini Displayport to DVI is what I meant.

you need dual link dvi tu ran higher than 1200 resolution...also you could use display port to mini display port. I think that your monitor will down scale to the 1080 p res or something or it won't work at all....

Okay, thank you for answering my question quickly. That sounds bad. I'm going to try to get apple taking the adapter back as it is unused.. 

one more question: does your mac have a thunderbolt port? or just the older mini display port? Also do test it before you send it back, who knows maybe it is a DVI-D port...

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

one more question: does your mac have a thunderbolt port? or just the older mini display port? Also do test it before you send it back, who knows maybe it is a DVI-D port...

It's a mid 2011 iMac (27") and has two thunderbolt ports. I think testing would be bad, because at the moment the adapter is unused but if I would test, they would see that it was used an I don't think that they would take it back.

OK. You have thunderbolt then so you can run resolutions that high with no problem. If your monitor has a display port you could also get a DP to mini DP cable.

Apple change it to an dual link DVI.. now everything is perfect :)