Will my CPU bottleneck a 7970.

mottledleek

Hi, i have a Phenom II X6 1055T OCd to 3.5ghz. Currently using a GTX460.

Planning to upgrade to a 7970. Will my cpu bottleneck a 7970?

If you're playing Happy Wheels or Minecraft then yes.

No your 1055T will not a become detrimental to your gaming. You can use a 7970, but you might want to lower your sights and get a 7870. Put some of that saved money into your CPU upgrade jar.

All up to you.

I'm with Wats, your CPU will most likely start to bottleneck the 7970 in higher end games, I would just either wait until you have you have enough to do a full upgrade or just get a GPU more within your sights. The 460 is still a decently fast card and I'm sure it could tide you over until you fully upgrade your system.

You might lose 10-20 FPS at the absolute most stressful parts of Metro 2033, but you will see a much better improvement from upgrading your graphics card than your CPU. Don't worry about the CPU; it'll be fine for a few more years.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for answering guys.

I have upgraded to a 7970 and the fps increase are very noticeable. I do agree with art vandelay, my FPS are 10-25 fps short of the fastest CPU (3770k) with the games that i play.

With the GTX460, when i max GTA 4 it struggles to spit out 18-22fps. Now it has climbed to 49-61 fps. A huge and very very notice able improvement.

Along with Crysis 3, the GTX460 can run it at medium-low settings with no AA and barely keeping it at 30-33 fps. Now its holding up to 40-50 fps all maxed out.

Click link to see the difference between your CPU and a top of the line FX-8350. It would be a sizeable upgrade. But having said that if you are not noticing a CPU bottleneck then don't bother, just wait for steamroller.

The best way to tell if your cpu is bottlenecking is simple, lower graphics settings on your game of preference, if the framerate doesnt increase, your cpu is bottlenecking :)

The best way to tell if your cpu is bottlenecking is simple' date=' lower graphics settings on your game of preference, if the framerate doesnt increase, your cpu is bottlenecking :)[/quote']

Yes, that would do it.....but most of us game @1080P/1200P where framerate sort of even out between higher end CPU's and OP's since at higher res, some level of GPU bottlenecking or stress occurs. Sure, higher end CPU's would still net higher framerate, but as long as the 1055T can manage playable framerate, OP should not bother with a CPU upgrade till his CPU actually struggles maintaining playable framerates in games.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2