Man names Wi-Fi network “Daesh 21,” prosecuted under French anti-terror law

15 hours ago, Energycore said:

You don't think someone should be punished for broadcasting the name of an organization that has cause all kinds of harm to the public, and I disagree.

That's all there is to it.

That isn't "all". your opinion in this matter is wrong. I am an advocate of the freedom to be an idiot so I stand with that guy 100% we can't be selective on our freedoms or they cease to be freedoms. France is going down a dark path and it is high time they left it. Daesh has won if they continue like that. Sure the neighbour was scared and the police has to intervene to look it up like in any case of domestic violence or suspicion of burglary. But pressing charges is completely idiotic and wrong.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

9 hours ago, Grinners said:

So this is how free speech dies... With thunderous applause...

Hey! Well we can't just have everyone using this freedom of speech thing now can we? That would get awfully complicated. It's reserved just for us majority people!

its really sad when you think about it. if isis hears about this they would be laughing their heads off because the french authority is enforcing one of their rules that you can't use the world daesh 

isis cuts the tongues of people who use daesh and we threaten them with jail. this highlights how much we let them get to us and compromise our own values so isis in terms of territory is losing big time but in terms of ideals and principles they are winning

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

its really sad when you think about it. if isis hears about this they would be laughing their heads off because the french authority is enforcing one of their rules that you can't use the world daesh 

isis cuts the tongues of people who use daesh and we threaten them with jail. this highlights how much we let them get to us and compromise our own values so isis in terms of territory is losing big time but in terms of ideals and principles they are winning

I think France already "lost" in regards to compromising on values when they decided the principles of the republic could be reduced to prohibitions and prescriptions on swimwear... :/

9 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

That isn't "all". your opinion in this matter is wrong. I am an advocate of the freedom to be an idiot so I stand with that guy 100% we can't be selective on our freedoms or they cease to be freedoms. France is going down a dark path and it is high time they left it. Daesh has won if they continue like that. Sure the neighbour was scared and the police has to intervene to look it up like in any case of domestic violence or suspicion of burglary. But pressing charges is completely idiotic and wrong.

"You're wrong" and "I disagree" are very different things. My opinion that even though no charges should be pressed, people should not be recklessly pulling jokes like that off, is my own and I stand by it. I also feel that you're treading dangerous paths by advocating freedom to be an idiot. Idiocy will often times interfere with the freedoms of others.

But it would seem that neither of us is willing to reason, so I'll see myself out.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 hours ago, Nademagnet said:

SSID.png

There's one in my neighbourhood called "XXX".

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

"You're wrong" and "I disagree" are very different things. My opinion that even though no charges should be pressed, people should not be recklessly pulling jokes like that off, is my own and I stand by it. I also feel that you're treading dangerous paths by advocating freedom to be an idiot. Idiocy will often times interfere with the freedoms of others.

But it would seem that neither of us is willing to reason, so I'll see myself out.

I agree peoe shouldn't recklessly pull shit like this off. But charges were pressed.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

1 minute ago, Miguel Batista said:

I agree peoe shouldn't recklessly pull shit like this off. But charges were pressed.

I can see that being an overreaction. It's kind of the attitude of i'll sue you that we make fun of when americans do it.

But at least inform the police in case it's something real

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I can see that being an overreaction. It's kind of the attitude of i'll sue you that we make fun of when americans do it.

But at least inform the police in case it's something real

Yes. As I said, the police should investigate and give him a stern word because his actions can spread panic. But not prosecute him. That is cray cray.

On 05/11/2016 at 2:54 PM, zMeul said:

law??!

last time I checked, Martial Law is still in effect in France

Not martial law. Martial law in France hasn't been used since the revolution of 1789. We are currently under a state of emergency due to the recent terrorist events.

2 hours ago, Jovidah said:

I think France already "lost" in regards to compromising on values when they decided the principles of the republic could be reduced to prohibitions and prescriptions on swimwear... :/

This position of prohibiting the "burkini" you are mentionning has been adopted by a few French cities, whose decrees on the matter were overturned by the "Conseil d'Etat" which is the highest jurisdiction regarding public law. So there isn't any "reducing to prohibitions and prescriptions on swimwear" anymore. It just was the case for a few days.

Terror has won in France. Sad.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3 hours ago, Thiback said:

This position of prohibiting the "burkini" you are mentionning has been adopted by a few French cities, whose decrees on the matter were overturned by the "Conseil d'Etat" which is the highest jurisdiction regarding public law. So there isn't any "reducing to prohibitions and prescriptions on swimwear" anymore. It just was the case for a few days.

I know the supreme court recalled it, but the fact that it had to get that far is still depressing and a major disaster in terms of counter-narrative. The fact that even some high-profile politicians supported it only made things worse - even when it was just a political move to capitalize on anti-Muslim sentiments. It made a mockery of their own founding principles...

5 hours ago, Thiback said:

Not martial law. Martial law in France hasn't been used since the revolution of 1789. We are currently under a state of emergency due to the recent terrorist events.

you mean "under siege" Article 36 declared Nov 2015

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

you mean "under siege" Article 36 declared Nov 2015

No, i mean "state of emergency", which exists through a 1955 act. This allows the executive and police to have special powers, like the restriction of certain public or individual liberties to persons deemed dangerous, among other things. The etat d'urgence stems from a statute law from 1955 (and it is about to be written in the constitution). It can only be used on the whole territory of part of it, in case of an attack on public order, in case of grave troubles or in case of a national calamity. It's been used several times during the last half of the XXth century during various crisis, including the recent terrorists events in Paris. France is currently in a state of emergency regarding the latter, until january 26, 2017.

"Etat de siège" is a step higher, and transferts the police powers to the army to ensure security and the extension of these powers, creates military jurisdictions,  among a lot of other things. it may only be put in effect on a part of the territory (not the whole country). It is written in article 36 of Constitution of 1958 (that you mentionned) from the start, and its use is very grave resulting only from an imminent peril from an armed insurrection or a war .Latest application of the "state of siege" was during the second World War, and if France was currently in a etat de siège, you would definitly know. 

Comparing the state of emergency with the "etat de siège" (state of siege) in terms of security enforcement and in terms of deprivation of liberties equates to comparing a gtx 960 with a 1080 in terms of performances. One is for moderate attacks, the other is for utter threats to the existence of France as a country.

Also, trust me I'm a French law student.

11 hours ago, Jovidah said:

I know the supreme court recalled it, but the fact that it had to get that far is still depressing and a major disaster in terms of counter-narrative. The fact that even some high-profile politicians supported it only made things worse - even when it was just a political move to capitalize on anti-Muslim sentiments. It made a mockery of their own founding principles...

Put this way, I must agree with you.

Reminds me of what I did at work. 

We have a video running 24/7 in the cantina where a guy hacks into a company using a Network called "HsV Hacking Network". The whole thing is just to remind everyone to not fuck up their security measurements. 

But a friend and I sometimes share a phone WiFi Hotspot when our dataplans cap and we named it the same. I wonder when/if someone from IT notices lol. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List