OCZ PSus trustable?

ViruZ_HUN

HI!

IS OCZ PSUs trustable?

do they ahve good quality and wont broke so fast?

i am thinking about OCZ ZX series 1250 watts for dual 290xes!

is it trustable?

its gold rated!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

ive used ocz fatality modular psu's in 3 builds with no failures. and i do remember linus saying in one of his livestreams that when he worked at ncix the rma rate on ocz psu's was real low.

hope this helps

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

Make sure it's only single 12v rail

Corsair 350D - ASUS Maximus V Gene - Intel 3770K @ 4.6Ghz - Corsair H100i - G-skill Trident X 2666Mhz 4x4Gb - 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4Gb @ 1250Mhz - Corsair 860i - 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 240GB (Raid 0)

what do u mean?

-------------------------------------

so it worth to get that one? it have cheap price for a 1250 watts

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

well the 2 ones which would have good price for watts would be

corsair Ax1200 or OCZ ZX series 1250 watts..?

the ZT and ZX lines are awesome little units :) They get alot of hate but I've never had a failure with any of their gear

why do they get hate?

It's a good unit. Considering the price is a bit higher than $200 though in the US, the EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 would be a better deal though.

Provided that the OCP implementation of the multi-rail unit is setup properly like many of modern PSUs, he does not need to limit himself to just a single rail unit.

so shoud i go with that OCZ one or ax1200??

what manufacturers do good PSUs btw?

the ZT and ZX lines are awesome little units :) They get alot of hate but I've never had a failure with any of their gear

love their ram and psu's

but had 4 dead vertex 2's thus far lol

also, i had a ssd knocked back by pccasegear for warranty and OCZ taiwan honored it and sent me a replacement. big ups to them for that ,+1 ocz for that one

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

my ocz psu is working fine and it cinda old 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

It's a good unit. Considering the price is a bit higher than $200 though in the US, the EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 would be a better deal though.

Provided that the OCP implementation of the multi-rail unit is setup properly like many of modern PSUs, he does not need to limit himself to just a single rail unit.

What he said^

Multi-rails aren't as bad as they were in the past.

what do u mean?

-------------------------------------

so it worth to get that one? it have cheap price for a 1250 watts

It's probably overkill anyway. Wait for power consumption benchmarks.

why do they get hate?

They have had hit and miss psu's. I'm talking about hit and miss series and not individual units.

so shoud i go with that OCZ one or ax1200??

what manufacturers do good PSUs btw?

Generally?

Antec, Be Quiet, Corsair, Fractal Design, NZXT, OCZ, Seasonic, Silversotne, XFX and others...

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

think i go witht he OCZ one. i saw a linus unboxing, he said MANY MANY good things of it.+ if linus unbox it i must means that its good

It's probably overkill anyway. Wait for power consumption benchmarks.

Hi thx for answering!

So i saw Hardwareccunacks unbox the R9 290x and saw that it drive on full load 473 watts and if i will get 2 of them 2x 473= 946 watts!! HOLY SHIT!.they said that it eats so much when its Max loaded or something kind of that so i hope i wont get it load max

So i think i choose the OCZ one becuze everyone says it fine and so. Also 

Hi thx for answering!

So i saw Hardwareccunacks unbox the R9 290x and saw that it drive on full load 473 watts and if i will get 2 of them 2x 473= 946 watts!! HOLY SHIT!.they said that it eats so much when its Max loaded or something kind of that so i hope i wont get it load max

It's probably 473w for the system as a whole--not just the gpu.  Even the Titan only peaks at 265w. 473w for a single gpu at this time would be absurd.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The AX1200 is build better and perform better, so if it's in the same price range, I would go with that. If it's not, well, assuming that the AX cost more, try to look at other PSUs you are able to buy.

Hi thx for answering!

I have not seen the HWC unboxing / review; however, AFAIK, they don't have the equipment to actually measure the DC Power consumption by itself. They are measuring it from the wall, where the entire system as well as efficiency comes into play, so the power figure they had shown is higher.

I'll probably be picking up a ZT 750 if I go crossfire, if it's any help.

They have a 5 year warranty so they should be good. Also for the love of god, why 1200W? 850W will be more than enough with a lot of headroom.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I have been using my ocz psu for lets say 2-3 years now i have had no problems with it yet. So yeah they don't seem to bad...

Case: Corsair white 600T | Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | CPU: intel i5-357OK oc to 4.3 | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Graphics Card: Evga 660 Ti FTW signature 2 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GBPower supply: ModXstream-pro 600W | SSD: Samsung 840 Series | Keyboard: Corsair K70Mouse: Corsair M65 | MonitorAsus VS228H-P 22-inch | 2nd Monitor:  Viewsonic 22 inch-LED 3rd Monitor: LG 32 inch tv | Mic: audio-technica AT2020 USB | Headset 1:  Audio technica ATH-M50s | Headset 2: Corsair Vengeance 2000.

Their company is in shambles, just go with another name brand at this point.

Hi thx for answering!

*face desk*

Quote from Hardware Canucks:

"For this test we hooked up our power supply to a UPM power meter that will log the power consumption of the whole system twice every second. In order to stress the GPU as much as possible we used 15 minutes of Unigine Valley running on a loop while letting the card sit at a stable Windows desktop for 15 minutes to determine the peak idle power consumption."

This is measured from the wall socket; power supplies are not 100% efficient. They were using a Corsair AX 1200 for the test system...which is 80PLUS Gold. 476W / 1200W is about 40% load. At 40% load, the AX1200 is about 90% efficiency (with 115V(AC) source). So...taking efficiency into account, the entire system is actually only using approximately 428W from the power supply.

Something like a Corsair HX850 or AX860 would be plenty for Crossfire R9-290X plus overclocking.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>