Favorite camera that you have used?

Favorite camera that I own is my t5 with its two kit lenses (I know they're shit, but they're good enough for me) but I used a Canon 6D for like 30 seconds in Slovenia and that was pretty sick. 

ASU

Used a Leica M-240 for about two weeks - so much fun. As much as I think it's really overpriced, the feel of the camera is just so nice. (still not going to buy one though).

System: Corsair 500R | i7 4770k | Coolermaster 212 Evo | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Windforce R9 290 | Evo 840 250GB | Barracuda 2TB | Barracuda 3TB | Dell U2410 LG 23EA63V 

On 11/1/2016 at 3:55 PM, ShadowCaptain said:

Does it count if i came in my pants

Most definitely it counts.

If I could get an FS5 for like 3,500 I'd buy one in a second. But, for now its too much to buy. :( 

5 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

Most definitely it counts.

If I could get an FS5 for like 3,500 I'd buy one in a second. But, for now its too much to buy. :( 

Even at $5000-6000, the FS5 is still a great camera.  It's more ideal for run and gun than the FS7 due to its smaller size, but I prefer the menu system of the 7.  The 5's menu system looks more like the menu system of the cheaper Sony Pro camcorders like the X70.

Right now I'm waiting for my supplier to get their hands on the new Canon C700 and Red Weapon Helium 8K.  Because they're also the regional representative for both Canon and Red, they'll be stocking up on at least one of each.  I'm thinking of renting them for a weekend or so and see how they fare.  There's also a rumor about Sony announcing a FS7 mark II next week, waiting to see what changes Sony will implement.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Nikon D750 with an Atomos Ninja 2. Best setup I have ever used. Great picture quality, great low light performance. Apple ProRes or DNxHD for more control in post. 

14 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Even at $5000-6000, the FS5 is still a great camera.  It's more ideal for run and gun than the FS7 due to its smaller size, but I prefer the menu system of the 7.  The 5's menu system looks more like the menu system of the cheaper Sony Pro camcorders like the X70.

Right now I'm waiting for my supplier to get their hands on the new Canon C700 and Red Weapon Helium 8K.  Because they're also the regional representative for both Canon and Red, they'll be stocking up on at least one of each.  I'm thinking of renting them for a weekend or so and see how they fare.  There's also a rumor about Sony announcing a FS7 mark II next week, waiting to see what changes Sony will implement.

I have used the fs7's young brother the fs700 a lot, great camera.

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

17 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I agree that it is a great choice. I have rented it several times and it will be my next camera purchase. But, I'm just waiting for a job with a good enough excuse to spend the money on it.

Theres something about 35mm slr's with nifty fifties on them that I just love

I used a Leica II once which was probably my favourite purely on the cool factor though

2 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

I agree that it is a great choice. I have rented it several times and it will be my next camera purchase. But, I'm just waiting for a job with a good enough excuse to spend the money on it.

I agree, the investment is only worth it if it will be used enough to get a good return.

5 hours ago, Miller1218 said:

I have used the fs7's young brother the fs700 a lot, great camera.

I own the 7, it's the most commonly requested and most popular camera here so was worth making the investment.  I thought about the 700, but didn't like the boxy shape, hard to use it shoulder mount without investing in extra accessories.  Never could figure out what Sony was thinking with the design.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Sony A65 because it's my DSLR so I can caress it all I want ;) (plus it takes decent pictures so...), the 'budget' Tamron 18-200mm lens that I paired it with (bought it new for 140 pounds) isn't the best but it's 'good enough' so...I'm happy :) 

I have also used an Sony A6000 (My mother's) which has a shitty EVF (compared to my A65 at least as it has a higher res EVF) so I don't like using it :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 11/4/2016 at 3:45 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

I agree, the investment is only worth it if it will be used enough to get a good return.

I own the 7, it's the most commonly requested and most popular camera here so was worth making the investment.  I thought about the 700, but didn't like the boxy shape, hard to use it shoulder mount without investing in extra accessories.  Never could figure out what Sony was thinking with the design.

I hate the fs700's shape. I've always used a big cage with mounting points to make the shape actually usful.

17 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

I hate the fs700's shape. I've always used a big cage with mounting points to make the shape actually usful.

It's one of the reasons I skipped buying the 700.  I didn't want to make the camera any bulkier than necessary just to rig it the way I need to use it.

OK moving on, Sony released the FS7 mark II just a day or so ago.  Here are my thoughts.

A couple of months ago, due to currency exchange rates perhaps, Sony increased the price of the FS7 mark I by roughly $500 or so (the price increase will vary a bit between regions and countries but I'm mainly talking about the US).

Now they released a FS7 mark II which has the following changes:

• New lens attaching system, still the same E-mount, but more robust locking mechanism.  Which I believe is a good design.  But not really a significant upgrade for owners of the FS7 mark 1, at least in my opinion.
  • Added REC.2020/BT.2020 support, this is one of the features I hope they will add to the FS7 mark I via firmware update.
  • Replaced the rotating ND filter system with the electronic ND filter system they introduced in the FS5.  Good job, though again I don't think owners of the FS7 mark I will find it a significant update.
  • Added 4 more customizable buttons, the mark I had 6, the mark II now has 10.  Again, not really a big concern for mark I owners.
  • Changed the viewfinder/LCD monitor arm from round to more squarish.
  • Changed the removable viewfinder loupe mounting mechanism, I say this is a good improvement because the previous one easily falls off with slight bumps.  Don't know how much more solid the new design is.  Mark 1 owners can probably buy the new loupe easily, though I think some if not a lot of mark I owners already have their own third party viewfinder or field monitor they prefer over the included LCD monitor.
  • Includes a collapsible sunhood to mount on the LCD.  Mark I owners an probably buy that as an accessory.
  • Added a thumb screw to the grip's extension arm, the mark I's arm required using a coin or screwdriver to adjust the length.
  • Slightly modified the memory card slots so that the cards are easier to get a nice grip with your fingers for removing.

Hope I've covered every change, or perhaps missed a few minor details.

Other then that, still the same FS7 camera as the mark I.  Same sensor, same codec, same frame rates, same bit rates.  Except the mark II body alone costs $1500 more than the mark I.

Out of all these updates, the only thing I want in the mark I from the mark II is for REC.2020/BT.2020 added by a firmware update... I hope.

My Contax G2, shown here with the Biogon 2.8/28 and lens hood:

DP3M1020web.jpg

In the digital realm, I have and have used "better" (or at least vastly more versatile and less finicky) cameras, but I really like my Sigma DP3 Merrill. On the A7r that I have to use above 100 iso, I really like the lenses (the 55/1.8 above all others) and the technical image quality, but the shooting experience / ergonomics  aren't stellar.

21 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

It's one of the reasons I skipped buying the 700.  I didn't want to make the camera any bulkier than necessary just to rig it the way I need to use it.

OK moving on, Sony released the FS7 mark II just a day or so ago.  Here are my thoughts.

A couple of months ago, due to currency exchange rates perhaps, Sony increased the price of the FS7 mark I by roughly $500 or so (the price increase will vary a bit between regions and countries but I'm mainly talking about the US).

Now they released a FS7 mark II which has the following changes:

• New lens attaching system, still the same E-mount, but more robust locking mechanism.  Which I believe is a good design.  But not really a significant upgrade for owners of the FS7 mark 1, at least in my opinion.
  • Added REC.2020/BT.2020 support, this is one of the features I hope they will add to the FS7 mark I via firmware update.
  • Replaced the rotating ND filter system with the electronic ND filter system they introduced in the FS5.  Good job, though again I don't think owners of the FS7 mark I will find it a significant update.
  • Added 4 more customizable buttons, the mark I had 6, the mark II now has 10.  Again, not really a big concern for mark I owners.
  • Changed the viewfinder/LCD monitor arm from round to more squarish.
  • Changed the removable viewfinder loupe mounting mechanism, I say this is a good improvement because the previous one easily falls off with slight bumps.  Don't know how much more solid the new design is.  Mark 1 owners can probably buy the new loupe easily, though I think some if not a lot of mark I owners already have their own third party viewfinder or field monitor they prefer over the included LCD monitor.
  • Includes a collapsible sunhood to mount on the LCD.  Mark I owners an probably buy that as an accessory.
  • Added a thumb screw to the grip's extension arm, the mark I's arm required using a coin or screwdriver to adjust the length.
  • Slightly modified the memory card slots so that the cards are easier to get a nice grip with your fingers for removing.

Hope I've covered every change, or perhaps missed a few minor details.

Other then that, still the same FS7 camera as the mark I.  Same sensor, same codec, same frame rates, same bit rates.  Except the mark II body alone costs $1500 more than the mark I.

Out of all these updates, the only thing I want in the mark I from the mark II is for REC.2020/BT.2020 added by a firmware update... I hope.

For me the most exciting parts are the electronic ND (which is amazing), rec 2020, and the mount.

Every camera should adopt the electric nd from Sony, you can set your iris and shutter and let the nd expose it exactly where it needs to be. No more dropping from f1.8 to f2.8 to fit your 4 stop nd.

While none of these make this a monumental upgrade, it does make to be an amazing camera for the price.

4 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

For me the most exciting parts are the electronic ND (which is amazing), rec 2020, and the mount.

Every camera should adopt the electric nd from Sony, you can set your iris and shutter and let the nd expose it exactly where it needs to be. No more dropping from f1.8 to f2.8 to fit your 4 stop nd.

While none of these make this a monumental upgrade, it does make to be an amazing camera for the price.

I was mainly speaking from the POV of a mark I owner.  For those who are considering the FS7 (mark I or mark II) for the first time, the mark II definitely has better features that may make it worth the extra price.  I just don't see anything significant in the mark II that would make me replace my year old mark I.

I agree, the electronic vari ND should be a feature that every cinematic or video camera (with sufficient internal volume) should have.  I wonder of Sony has a patent on it that would prevent other brands like Canon from implementing it, though I know there's like a third party lens mount adapter that has a similar electronic ND (I don't remember the model at the moment).  I also don't think mirrorless cameras and DSLRs will have this electronic ND as a built in feature without increasing their bulk a bit.  Even if the ND filter is only a few millimeters thick, the control mechanism will take up some space.  Though actually DSLRs (at least with my Nikons) there's already two glass filters in front of the sensor and behind the shutter mechanism.  One glass filter is the ultrasonic dust removal filter (with some IR/UV blocking capability) and the other is a glass IR blocking filter that's stuck right on top of the sensor.  I wonder if other DSLRs (Sony, Canon) have the same number of filters like these and perhaps one of them can be replaced with an electronic ND filter plate in a future model so that we don't need space for a filter slide up and down mechanism inside the camera.

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I wonder of Sony has a patent on it that would prevent other brands like Canon from implementing it

Canon took years to add zebras and focus peaking. They still won't even do 4k unless you buy a c300. Can't wait to see Electronic-ND on the c300 mark V. ;) 

That said I'd love to see it on a A7s mark III or GH6.

8 hours ago, mama_fluxus said:

Canon took years to add zebras and focus peaking. They still won't even do 4k unless you buy a c300. Can't wait to see Electronic-ND on the c300 mark V. ;) 

That said I'd love to see it on a A7s mark III or GH6.

Canon will never make their DSLRs into proper video cameras.  They never had, they never will.

5 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Canon will never make their DSLRs into proper video cameras.  They never had, they never will.

Do you remember the 5d mark ii

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

1 hour ago, Miller1218 said:

Do you remember the 5d mark ii

I owned one.  But I will say it again, Canon never intended it to be a video camera, it was pure coincidence that the way they implemented video hit it off with the cinematography crowd.

It's split between two cameras... 

Leica M3 -  butter smooth and a pleasure to use. 

Olympus Om1 - my first camera that originally belonged yo my dad. I still have it. 

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers