I7 920 -> LGA 1155 Socket CPU

OK so my friend is starting to do some video editing. He currently has a GTX 950,  an Intel I7 920, and 4 GB of DDR2 memory. Im wondering is it more worth for him to buy a new CPU (I have a mobo,ram,psu,etc.). To cut costs I have a Motherboard with an LGA 1155 socket for him to use. What CPU should he use and should he even consider making a new system. Thanks LLT forum people and yeah =P 

i7-2600(K) would be your best bet. intels 3000 series CPUs also fit 1155 but its FCLGA 1155. I'm not too familiar with older Intel sockets so I don't know if it would work or not

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

i7-2600(K) would be your best bet. intels 3000 series CPUs also fit 1155 but its FCLGA 1155. I'm not too familiar with older Intel sockets so I don't know if it would work or not

lga is the same as fclga, just shortened. usually people also drop the lga part and just call it 1155. the 3770k would be best if you can find it at a decent price (also make sure the mobo runs an up to date bios that supports ivy bridge.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

5 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

LGA 1155 is FCLGA1155. It simply stands for "flip chip", which all LGA1155 sockets are. FCLGA is just the full name. 

I belive the CPU has very good overclocking potential. Have (you) tried that? unless you can get full price for that Mobo & CPU combo its not really worth it once overclocked. 

I mean what is going to happen with the old parts?

13 minutes ago, AceHelosis said:

OK so my friend is starting to do some video editing. He currently has a GTX 950,  an Intel I7 920, and 4 GB of DDR2 memory. Im wondering is it more worth for him to buy a new CPU (I have a mobo,ram,psu,etc.). To cut costs I have a Motherboard with an LGA 1155 socket for him to use. What CPU should he use and should he even consider making a new system. Thanks LLT forum people and yeah =P 

i7 920 should be LGA 1366.... and that would be DDR3 and also mean you could spend $80 and buy a X5650 instead of upgrading the computer and have something better for only $80.

1 minute ago, Redicat said:

I belive the CPU has very good overclocking potential. Have you tried that? unless you can get full price for that Mobo & CPU combo its not really worth it once overclocked.

i already have the mobo
im wondering if its worth to update his CPU, Mobo and ram

1 minute ago, AceHelosis said:

i already have the mobo
im wondering if its worth to update his CPU, Mobo and ram

Its not worth it, he can spend $80 and have something comparable to a stock 5820k (a $400 cpu) for only $80 if he has a good LGA 1366 motherboard.

2 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

i7 920 should be LGA 1366.... and that would be DDR3 and also mean you could spend $80 and buy a X5650 instead of upgrading the computer and have something better for only $80.

So I have 8Gb of RAM can I just use that memory and get a new CPU and call it done?

1 minute ago, AceHelosis said:

So I have 8Gb of RAM can I just use that memory and get a new CPU and call it done?

Please look and see what motherboard he has but the i7 920 is an LGA 1366 cpu. If you have some spare ram it would be better for him to have at least 8GB if not 16GB but you can get an X5650 for about $80, maybe pick up a good $30 air cooler (Hyper 212 EVO, or a Cryochill H7) and he will have an amazing machine that is capable of handling any graphics card he wants to pair with it or any program he throws at it.

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

Please look and see what motherboard he has but the i7 920 is an LGA 1366 cpu. If you have some spare ram it would be better for him to have at least 8GB if not 16GB but you can get an X5650 for about $80, maybe pick up a good $30 air cooler (Hyper 212 EVO, or a Cryochill H7) and he will have an amazing machine that is capable of handling any graphics card he wants to pair with it or any program he throws at it.

His Mobo has to be able to handle the 6 cores right?

5 minutes ago, AceHelosis said:

His Mobo has to be able to handle the 6 cores right?

Yeah, check and see what he has and I can probably verify if it will work. Most of them can with a simple BIOS update. The Xeons came out in Feb of 2011 so usually any BIOS around that time or afterwards has support for the Xeons. To copy and a paste from wikipedia.....

"As of 2015, Xeon 3600 and 5600 series Westmere-EP processors have become somewhat sought after as an upgrade route for older X58 motherboards.[8] In many cases, proper BIOS support has allowed users to fit these 6-core processors onto boards originally designed for 2 or 4-core processors. In fully threaded workloads, total system performance will increase by a value equal to the number of cores added (i.e. moving from a 4-core 2.6 GHz to a 6-core 2.6 GHz system would enable 50% more total processing power). With proper BIOS support and the correct supporting components, many users have reported substantial overclocking potential, often as high as 4.4 GHz while staying within Intel's maximum allowed voltages (no higher than 1.35v for the core or the uncore). For gaming, such a system is proving remarkably competitive against much newer, and usually more expensive processors; the supply of second-hand chips from decommissioned servers is finite, however."

Just now, DunePilot said:

Yeah, check and see what he has and I can probably verify if it will work. Most of them can with a simple BIOS update. The Xeons came out in Feb of 2011 so usually any BIOS around that time or afterwards has support for the Xeons.

hahah ok 
he got the entire system at a garage sale then added the GPU after so he doesnt have a parts list xD

thanks tho

5 minutes ago, AceHelosis said:

hahah ok 
he got the entire system at a garage sale then added the GPU after so he doesnt have a parts list xD

thanks tho

Motherboard will have it written on it somewhere. Like on this one, in between the 2nd and 3rd PCI-E slot. You can also see what it is with CPU-z program.

4331_big.jpg

Just now, DunePilot said:

Motherboard will have it written on it somewhere. Like on this one, in between the 2nd and 3rd PCI-E slot.

4331_big.jpg

heh it only had 1 pcie expansion slot >.>

thats why I wanted to give him a new MOBO

Just now, AceHelosis said:

heh it only had 1 pcie expansion slot >.>

thats why I wanted to give him a new MOBO

Yeah, take pics or download CPU-z and lets see what it is, if its a turd motherboard he might have to upgrade. If folks are lucky enough to have an old 1366 motherboard that is a good one though then often a simple CPU swap is all you need to be able to handle a newer top tier GPU.

Even if the board is a turd he still has a glimmer of hope by reading up on injecting the CPU micro code into his bios manually. The micro code list can be downloaded from Intel, using "CPU Linux" in the search field" locate the resulting download for the chip set desired "the resulting download" can be dissected and the updated microcode list for his boards chip set can be injected into his bios using a hex editor and "viola enhanced processor support."

Is it a hassle yes: is it rewarding as hell when done correctly  "Yes".

23 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Yeah, take pics or download CPU-z and lets see what it is, if its a turd motherboard he might have to upgrade. If folks are lucky enough to have an old 1366 motherboard that is a good one though then often a simple CPU swap is all you need to be able to handle a newer top tier GPU.

OK this is the computer specs stuff =P 

14793913_1214087718654500_1569709443_n.png

14798970_1214087715321167_1765148722_n.png

14798949_1214087711987834_187840944_n.png

14797277_1214087725321166_1273317720_n.png

20 hours ago, Jinx67 said:

Even if the board is a turd he still has a glimmer of hope by reading up on injecting the CPU micro code into his bios manually. The micro code list can be downloaded from Intel, using "CPU Linux" in the search field" locate the resulting download for the chip set desired "the resulting download" can be dissected and the updated microcode list for his boards chip set can be injected into his bios using a hex editor and "viola enhanced processor support."

Is it a hassle yes: is it rewarding as hell when done correctly  "Yes".

wait you can do that ????? 

woah >.> theres alot of stuff I can learn 

So it kind of sounds like its a generic Dell PC, you will have to look in the BIOS to see how well its set up for overclocking. You can test it on the i7 920 you have already.

Increase Vcore to 1.35-1.375v increase QPI/Vtt to 1.3-1.335v and then put multi on 196-205 X 20 with turbo off and see if it boots.

You will have to use a correct divider to lower the ram speed back down, increasing your bus speed will increase ram clock speed as well so you will have to put it on a lower divider so it's not overclocked by much.

He could overclock that 920 and not even have to buy anything as long as temps are good... putting some new paste on and taking an air compressor or a can of air to the heatsink to clean it off wouldn't be a bad idea. If the motherboard supports a normal 1366 heatsink he should be able to get something for about $30 that would be able to handle some good overclocks. He is only using a GTX 950 so that chip can handle that all day long if he overclocks it to 4.0-4.3GHz, that would be a 40-50% performance increase from current turbo clock.

17 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

He could overclock that 920 and not even have to buy anything as long as temps are good... putting some new paste on and taking an air compressor or a can of air to the heatsink to clean it off wouldn't be a bad idea. If the motherboard supports a normal 1366 heatsink he should be able to get something for about $30 that would be able to handle some good overclocks. He is only using a GTX 950 so that chip can handle that all day long if he overclocks it to 4.0-4.3GHz, that would be a 40-50% performance increase from current turbo clock.

mhm ok cool 

On 10/23/2016 at 10:26 PM, DunePilot said:

So it kind of sounds like its a generic Dell PC, you will have to look in the BIOS to see how well its set up for overclocking. You can test it on the i7 920 you have already.

Increase Vcore to 1.35-1.375v increase QPI/Vtt to 1.3-1.335v and then put multi on 196-205 X 20 with turbo off and see if it boots.

You will have to use a correct divider to lower the ram speed back down, increasing your bus speed will increase ram clock speed as well so you will have to put it on a lower divider so it's not overclocked by much.

Ok ill try it xD Thanks