X99 Strix VS MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON

Dackzy

I have done a LOT of research for the last 4-5 hours and those are the two motherboards I have left.

I have looked at user reviews and pro reviews of them both and they seem to trade blows.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The only thing you need to be worried about with motherboards are features. That being said I spend a lot of time in the BIOS and Asus' looks great and is easy to use. Can't speak for MSI though. The Asus also has built in wifi should you need it

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Cereal5 said:

The only thing you need to be worried about with motherboards are features. That being said I spend a lot of time in the BIOS and Asus' looks great and is easy to use. Can't speak for MSI though. The Asus also has built in wifi should you need it

Oh I am worried about build quality, I do not need the build in wifi, if I needed wifi I would get a mimo wifi card.

I will run SLI or CF and have a m.2 NVMe SSD. Not sure of how many features I would use. I OC my things and then I basically let my motherboard be.

My nr.1 is stability and then OC.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Oh I am worried about build quality, I do not need the build in wifi, if I needed wifi I would get a mimo wifi card.

I will run SLI or CF and have a m.2 NVMe SSD. Not sure of how many features I would use. I OC my things and then I basically let my motherboard be.

My nr.1 is stability and then OC.

I wouldn't worry about that with any X99 motherboard over about $130. I have the Asus X99-A and it's great. I used to run SLI (before I bought a 1080) and it ran with no complications what so ever, I run my CPU overclocked by 1GHz and no problems there either. I actually Have room to go higher, but that's more due to my cooler than motherboard. I mean with motherboards these days there's really not much to be worried about. You're either shipped a board that is DOA, or it's fine

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Go with the Asus. Trust me on this.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

24 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I have done a LOT of research for the last 4-5 hours and those are the two motherboards I have left.

I have looked at user reviews and pro reviews of them both and they seem to trade blows.

Get the Strix It is sexy and a great value for the money. 

14641933_1110255985717035_684706508827018021_n.jpg?oh=41272f570bc12a45d79df88ddbdb332d&oe=58AC551D

I would go with the Asus X99 strix.

Based on the vrm implementation on both boards in compairisson.

I personaly prefer the Asus board simply because they offer 8 true phases fully digital vrm implementation controlled by the IR3580 pwm for the main cpu vrm.

And powered by IR3535 60A powerstages.

Msi is using a a hybrid vrm implementation from ISL on all their X99 boards.

The ISL6388 is a 6+1 true phase hybrid pwm controller.

On the Msi X99 gaming pro carbon, they took 4 true phases of the pwm and

doubled them to 8 pwm phases using ISL6617 phase doublers.

And i´m very sorry to say, but at an enthusiast X99 platform that is realy cheapo.

I´m totaly not a fan of Msi X99 boards in particular personaly.

They put too much bling on their boards that makes no sense.

And they cheap out on the important part of their boards which is the vrm.

And thats just a bad thing imo.

They also ask top dolar for their board, and there is totaly no logic on it.

7 hours ago, Sintezza said:

I would go with the Asus X99 strix.

Based on the vrm implementation on both boards in compairisson.

I personaly prefer the Asus board simply because they offer 8 true phases fully digital vrm implementation controlled by the IR3580 pwm for the main cpu vrm.

And powered by IR3535 60A powerstages.

Msi is using a a hybrid vrm implementation from ISL on all their X99 boards.

The ISL6388 is a 6+1 true phase hybrid pwm controller.

On the Msi X99 gaming pro carbon, they took 4 true phases of the pwm and

doubled them to 8 pwm phases using ISL6617 phase doublers.

And i´m very sorry to say, but at an enthusiast X99 platform that is realy cheapo.

I´m totaly not a fan of Msi X99 boards in particular personaly.

They put too much bling on their boards that makes no sense.

And they cheap out on the important part of their boards which is the vrm.

And thats just a bad thing imo.

They also ask top dolar for their board, and there is totaly no logic on it.

what do you think about the Asrock fatal1ty x99 professional?

11 hours ago, Dackzy said:

what do you think about the Asrock fatal1ty x99 professional?

Basicly a good board.

But it does not support the Broadwell-E cpu´s out of the box.

It needs a bios update, and since Asrock does not offer a feuture to flash the bios without supported cpu installed.

You will need to ask the shop if they could flash the bios for you.

All Asrock X99 boards feuture an ISL implementation for the vrm aswell.

They use an ISL6379 6+1 true phase hybrid pwm for the cpu main power delivery.

6 phases being doubled to 12 for the main Vcore using ISL6611A doublers, and powered by Fairchild dual-N mostfet powerpacks.

60A inductors and 12K nichcon capacitors.

But if you are looking for an Asrock X99 board for a Broadwell-E cpu.

Then i would recommend to look at either the Asrock X99 Tachi, or X99 Fatal1ty pro gaming.

Because those 2 boards will support Broadwell-E out of the box.

However since your goal is to populate 3 graphics cards and eventualy a wifi card or what ever.

I dont think that the pci-e lane layout of the Taichi, or the X99 Fatal1ty pro gaming would suite you.

The Gigabyte X99 Ultra gaming or Phoenix Sli might suite you better.

9 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Basicly a good board.

But it does not support the Broadwell-E cpu´s out of the box.

It needs a bios update, and since Asrock does not offer a feuture to flash the bios without supported cpu installed.

You will need to ask the shop if they could flash the bios for you.

All Asrock X99 boards feuture an ISL implementation for the vrm aswell.

They use an ISL6379 6+1 true phase hybrid pwm for the cpu main power delivery.

6 phases being doubled to 12 for the main Vcore using ISL6611A doublers, and powered by Fairchild dual-N mostfet powerpacks.

60A inductors and 12K nichcon capacitors.

But if you are looking for an Asrock X99 board for a Broadwell-E cpu.

Then i would recommend to look at either the Asrock X99 Tachi, or X99 Fatal1ty pro gaming.

Because those 2 boards will support Broadwell-E out of the box.

However since your goal is to populate 3 graphics cards and eventualy a wifi card or what ever.

I dont think that the pci-e lane layout of the Taichi, or the X99 Fatal1ty pro gaming would suite you.

The Gigabyte X99 Ultra gaming or Phoenix Sli might suite you better.

I am just looking for the best board I can get. Stability is nr.1 for me

On 23/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, Sintezza said:

SHIP

Thank you for all the help I have one last question.

A guy I have talked to says that he would suggest the ASRock X99 OC Formula/3.1 and the EVGA X99 CF, because I focus more on stability than anything else, both have been updated for Broadwell-e.

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Thank you for all the help I have one last question.

A guy I have talked to says that he would suggest the ASRock X99 OC Formula/3.1 and the EVGA X99 CF, because I focus more on stability than anything else, both have been updated for Broadwell-e.

Basicly both of those boards dont come with a bios update out of the box.

Unless the boards you are looking at, have had a bios update at the shop.

Basicly both the EVGA CF and the Asrock OC Formula are very good boards indeed.

But like i told before the EVGA does have some annoying design flaws like ram slots with pop latches on both sides, and those ram slots are too close to the first pci-e slot.

Which would make it allmost impossible to install your memory once you allready have installed a gpu.

Basicly if dont have any plans with custom loop setups or what not.

Then those minor flaws can be lived with, since you can basicly install your ram before you install the gpu etc.

But still its pretty inconvenient.

Other then that, the Classified had some minor bios issues in the beginning.

But i suppose that those issues are allready be adressed due bios updates.

About the Asrock X99 OC Formula 3.1 i cannot realy think of anything that i could complain about.

Its basicly a decent board, but they dont dont come with Broadwell-E support standard out of the box.

But if you buy at a local shop, they should  definitely be able to flash the bios for you.

On the other hand, the Asrock X99 Taichi or X99 Fatal1ty pro gaming are also nice boards which do come with Broadwell-E support out of the box.

But yeah like i said earlier the Taichi and the Fatality pro gaming might not have the most ideal pci-e slot layout if you want to use 3 gpu´s.

On a side note, i dont know if EVGA has released a new version of the Classified board.

I have not looked at that yet.

They do have a new X99 FTW-K board.