why dont tv's use display port?

xdeathshot20

i was woundering, why dont tv's use displayport?  it can display at much higher resolutions then hdmi can and will give you better refresh rates.  i know that all devices pretty much use hdmi but i was just woundering if anyone acually knew the answer

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

1 minute ago, CookieMaster said:

what cable companies use dp for their equipment and what other equipment uses dp. (other than a pc) 

What? 

Just now, fpo said:

What? 

Tv's are mainly for cable companies for your stations, ex comcast uses hdmi, so tv's use HDMI. It would cost a  lot more to switch their standard, 

1. TVs aren't designed to be used on PCs; they can, but that's not what they're built for
  2. the existing connectors on the TV are enough to handle the resolution and refresh rate they're built for
  3. have you seen a console or a set-top box with DP?

Why bother? Live tv is only 1080i and HDMI 2.0 can do 4k 60hz for streamed content while being backwards compatible with older devices.

Probably has licencing issues with the standard. Plus HDMI become the defacto standard for TV's. Once a standard is in place its hard to change. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.