Higher refresh rate??

Abhinavp

Does higher refresh rate of the monitor decrease the fps in your games and increases GPU temps?? Will the fps of a game be more on a 60hz monitor than a 144hz? Does higher refresh rate decrease FPS!?

no.... it all has to do with resolution (also hardware and that...) but in terms of monitors your fps will only be affected on how high your resolution is. refresh rate is what your FPS could max out at.

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

Refresh rate is the amount of FPS your monitor can show. if your monitor has a refresh rate of 8, then you would see everything very cinematically, because it would only be able to display 8FPS, no matter how many your graphics card produced. most monitors are 60Hz, or have a refresh rate of 60FPS. this means that any framerate your GPU pushes that is more than 60, is essentially wasted computing power, because your monitor cant display that many frames anyway.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Refresh rate is the amount of FPS your monitor can show. if your monitor has a refresh rate of 8, then you would see everything very cinematically, because it would only be able to display 8FPS, no matter how many your graphics card produced. most monitors are 60Hz, or have a refresh rate of 60FPS. this means that any framerate your GPU pushes that is more than 60, is essentially wasted computing power, because your monitor cant display that many frames anyway.

fancier way of saying no xD I like

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

A higher refresh rate monitor is useless if you're not getting the same or more fps as it's refresh rate.

Don't buy a 144Hz monitor if you only are getting 60hz in games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

29 minutes ago, Abhinavp said:

Does higher refresh rate of the monitor decrease the fps in your games and increases GPU temps?? Will the fps of a game be more on a 60hz monitor than a 144hz? Does higher refresh rate decrease FPS!?

Your PC's hardware will render the highest framerate it can with the settings you use, and your monitor has nothing to do with that. Your monitor is only an output device, the frames are "done" before they get to the monitor. You'll have the same framerate on a 144 Hz monitor that you had on a 60 Hz monitor, the difference is that a 144 Hz monitor can show you new frames faster than 60 per second.

Edit: That said, something I've always wondered myself is if 60 FPS looks "choppier" or tears on a 144 Hz monitor. My understanding is that framerates look "smoothest" when they are either equal to or half of the refresh rate of the monitor. If so, that would mean either 72 FPS or 144 FPS is ideal on a 144 Hz monitor. Unless you have Gsync or FreeSync, anyway.

If you compare a PC running a game capped at 60 FPS to the same PC running a game at 120 FPS, the one running at 120 FPS will probably be running hotter. But that isn't because of the monitor, it's because your video card is working twice as hard. Capping your framerate lower than it could've been will usually improve temperatures.