Hard Drive That Acts Like RAM

SovietBroski

Lets say i have the fastest drive in the world but it doesn't have a lot of space, a drive that is in the middle with speed and storage, and a drive that is on the slower end but it has basically infinite storage. Lets also say that for reasons unimportant, the operating system boots from the middle drive and not the fast one. I want to set up a system where every file saves to the fast drive first regardless of its destination and is then copied to its intended drive and deleted from the fast drive automatically during the computer's shut down process. As the title suggests, what I am thinking of is vaguely similar to how RAM works but slower, on a bigger scale, and without any data redundancy. How could I set this up in Windows 10 / Linux?

3 minutes ago, SovietBroski said:

Lets say i have the fastest drive in the world but it doesn't have a lot of space, a drive that is in the middle with speed and storage, and a drive that is on the slower end but it has basically infinite storage. Lets also say that for reasons unimportant, the operating system boots from the middle drive and not the fast one. I want to set up a system where every file saves to the fast drive first regardless of its destination and is then copied to its intended drive and deleted from the fast drive automatically during the computer's shut down process. As the title suggests, what I am thinking of is vaguely similar to how RAM works but slower, on a bigger scale, and without any data redundancy. How could I set this up in Windows 10 / Linux?

Use intel rapid storage technology. What you are describing is ssd caching. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

6 minutes ago, SovietBroski said:

We could try to use MRAM

Magnetoresistive Random Access Memory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetoresistive_random-access_memory

Some schools have this. At least mine did.

Basically what they do is they have two hard drives (or partitions) and the main one (C:) has Windows installed on it brand new on start up (with some required programs too, so it takes a bit). Than you log in with a network account and you can use the PC. There is also a D: drive where every student has his own local storage (all students have a folder and you can only get into your own folder, you don't have permission to view the others).

You achieve this on Windows with multiple things like active directory and an entire networking solution in general. I am not a network guy, so I don't know the exact details.

Anyways, I think that is kind of what you asked for. If you want fast and 'unlimited' storage you could have an SSD that gets a reflashed Windows image every time it starts up and just a couple TB HDD or a server based hard drive solution (a NAS basically)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/