Thoughts on new Thermaltake ToughPower RGB PSU

HungryHamster

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this new RGB (I know 9_9) PSU by Thermaltake: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002917

I like that it has software that monitors the PSU performance and gives warnings when something is malfunctioning. It also uses 100% high quality Japanese capacitors like many other popular PSU brands.

Apparently the 1250w titanium version of this PSU was rated 9.5/10 by JonnyGuru.

What are your thoughts? Should I go with something that has been on the market a little bit longer like an EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 or a Corsair RM850x? Price isn't a big consideration, but black/white cables would be preferred.

Here is my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JscwgL

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this new RGB (I know 9_9) PSU by Thermaltake: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002917

I like that it has software that monitors the PSU performance and gives warnings when something is malfunctioning. It also uses 100% high quality Japanese capacitors like many other popular PSU brands.

Apparently the 1250w titanium version of this PSU was rated 9.5/10 by JonnyGuru.

What are your thoughts? Should I go with something that has been on the market a little bit longer like an EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 or a Corsair RM850x? Price isn't a big consideration, but black/white cables would be preferred.

Here is my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JscwgL

Thanks!

people use pc shrouds so why rgb leds

The Toughpower DPS units Thermaltake makes are good. That said, there is no way on God's green earth that you need an 850W PSU. You'll be buying a vastly-overpriced unit that's not as good as stuff from Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA and Super Flower, but it's RGB. Depends what matters more to you, and there's not really a right or wrong answer to that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The Toughpower DPS units Thermaltake makes are good. That said, there is no way on God's green earth that you need an 850W PSU. You'll be buying a vastly-overpriced unit that's not as good as stuff from Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA and Super Flower, but it's RGB. Depends what matters more to you, and there's not really a right or wrong answer to that.

Thanks for your advice. I might go with a 750w instead then. Do you mind me asking why they are "not as good as stuff from Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, etc." Is it mostly just a brand reputation thing? Or are there legitimate differences between the parts used and performance between these brands?

33 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Thanks for your advice. I might go with a 750w instead then. Do you mind me asking why they are "not as good as stuff from Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, etc." Is it mostly just a brand reputation thing? Or are there legitimate differences between the parts used and performance between these brands?

It's all about the quality of the parts used.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, HungryHamster said:

Corsair, Seasonic, and especially EVGA are generally better choices for value-orientation in North America and most first-world countries. Thermaltake is often the only option in places like Italy, from what I've gathered.

Regardless, the EVGA GS/GQ/G2/B2 are super good for the money and that's why a lot of us blanket recommend them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||