Windows 10 RDP and Gaming

bauer8cs

All,

I am looking into setting my desktop up as more of a server. In that I mean that I hope to get remote access working from all devices in my home and away from home so I can use any device with remote desktop connection capabilities (surface, laptop, etc) to connect to the main computer and use these devices to stream games and other applications to the client. I have used RDPWrap to enable remote desktop connections in Win10 Home edition, but if its necessary I will move to the Pro version to enable remoteFX.

Would this work to virtualize my GPU (a 660 Ti, not the best, but certainly not a slouch), to be streamed over RDP to utilize DirectX and stream 3D games and the like over my network?

I can use RDP in a limited context now, but many games throw DirectX errors and other errors due to no vGPU support.

If I can give any other information, let me know. Endless Googling has not provided me with enough information.

Thanks!

You can't play games over rdp(ive tried) but you can use your gpu for other gpu tasks, like rendering.

If you want remote gaming, look at vnc or steam in home streaming. 

RDP over gaming works! But:

• The game needs to run under window mode, or windowed full screen mode, if the game supports it.
  • Both system you are connecting to, and running needs to be Windows 8 or above.

Here is proof of it working.

HOWEVER,

• You need a solid network connection both sides
  • Expect high latency, but playable (basically, no CS:GO and such games, unless you don't mind dying a lot)
  • Don't expect 60fps gaming.. more like 30fps
  • Some games will just not work, like StarCraft 2 (and probably other Blizzard games, as it checks if you run under remote desktop, and blocks you for some reason)

The purpose of my post, was more educational, and not recommendation.

To clarify more my post linked:

• My laptop was on Windows 8 Pro
  • My desktop was on Windows 10 Technical Preview (TP). Hence, why Windows 10 looks more Windows 8 than the 10 that we have now.
  • The screen shots were taken from the side of my laptop. So you see Remote Desktop running in a window. Yes, you can make it full screen.
  • First screen shots shows my desktop running Steam. Second screen shot shows the game running, and playing. The game was the old Hitman: Absolution.

So, try and see.

I suppose it should bear mentioning that I understand the restrictions that this kind of structure would entail. I do not intend to play FPS or other games that require very low latency, but for games like Crusader Kings or Cities: Skylines or Tropico, could this set up work?

I have gotten some games to work, but the biggest roadblock I run into is that RDP seems to have some dislike for DirectX bound games. It's not that they don't try to launch, they do, but then they either grind to a halt or refuse to render the windows.

Like I said, I do understand the inherent issues with the system. I've been reading about upgrading to Win 10 Pro with its RemoteFX and Hyper-V capabilities. Could these be boosters to reduce or resolve my DirectX issues? I believe these run under Win 10 Pro, or do they require Windows Server 2012 R2 or Server 2016, and if not, will they help do what I am hoping for?

EDIT: I do also run games in windowed or windowed fullscreen over RDP, it doesn't work otherwise!

Edited by bauer8cs

• 1 year later...

Okey.. I am working on this Stuff to find out why Windows Remote is blocking my GPU. We are a research institut and handle with big data of ct industrial stuff. I found out when i run my Programm locally and the connect remotly than the application works bretty well. When i start the porgramm by remote the programm stuck a lot of times..

So i think Windows remote overtake the GPU when it is not in use. The cool Thing here is old RDP Connection logout the old user thats an the machine before.. with windows 10 you can log in in the running session with the same user all programs stay open.. so the trick will work..

i dont no why this is happend.. but it is realy easy to test.. start game local. connect by rdp ist works.. connect by rdp start the game it does not work.. its magic..

happy weekend from austria..

• 1 year later...

Greetings from 2019!

I tried to RDP into a virtual machine running windows 10 to play some games, and it turned out to be a terrible idea.

The sound delivery sounds like playing back from a broken CD, and CPU usage sky-rocketed to 100% on the host (compared to 10% when I VNC-ed onto the VM, unfortunately with no sound capture), and after a while, the RDP service crashed itself and I was no longer able to log back into the session, even directly via the virtualbox gui.

Also tried Steam Remote Play, and the Steam client on macOS crashed instantly after enabling streaming.

Just giving up for the moment being :(

P.S. If anyone could get audio delivered via vnc, I would love to know how