Whats my next step?

Ru5h

I currently have an i5 2320 and a gtx 960. and I feel like I'm being let down :( but not because its a bad card, but because I play high spec games. 

So I need a new build and I've been doing alot of stuff on the internet to look for decent deals but mostly everything compromises for something else. (E.G a good GPU but a bad PSU, a good CPU but a bad amount of RAM and a mediocre motherboard etc etc etc) 

I have currently a budget of £650 excluding selling my old PC and my laptop i intend to sell too. (if you have a good site to sell, that would be useful)

Theoretically I would like the most powerful PC possible, but within a reasonable price, A lot too ask, but I think its fee-sable

I was thinking something including an RX 480 with an i5 4460 with a 1TB sata drive (I have my own SSD) with a decent PSU and a future proof motherboard (16GB of RAM)

Don't go with haswell. Skylake. i5 6500 maybe

My older machine with a GTX570 is still running strong, not AAA max out but still good, but feels very slow compared to my i7 4970k GTX980.

Cheap option:
Skylake and 4970k are about the same price, get a cheap mobo and use your old ram with the 4970k or similar, then throw everything you got into a new gfx card. Personally I would not buy the gfx card now and wait for 2nd gen pascal. This 1st gen series is disappointing.

But if I were you, I would wait till the 1100 series NVIDIA is out and make the decision then, what I am doing.

5 minutes ago, Ru5h said:

I currently have an i5 2320 and a gtx 960. and I feel like I'm being let down :( but not because its a bad card, but because I play high spec games. 

So I need a new build and I've been doing alot of stuff on the internet to look for decent deals but mostly everything compromises for something else. (E.G a good GPU but a bad PSU, a good CPU but a bad amount of RAM and a mediocre motherboard etc etc etc) 

I have currently a budget of £650 excluding selling my old PC and my laptop i intend to sell too. (if you have a good site to sell, that would be useful)

Theoretically I would like the most powerful PC possible, but within a reasonable price, A lot too ask, but I think its fee-sable

I was thinking something including an RX 480 with an i5 4460 with a 1TB sata drive (I have my own SSD) with a decent PSU and a future proof motherboard (16GB of RAM)

Okay, so between you selling your current rig and your notebook, do you feel like $1000 total budget is out of the picture?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

3 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

Okay, so between you selling your current rig and your notebook, do you feel like $1000 total budget is out of the picture?

Sorry, I have a little bit more, If I can sell my old pc at a decent price I could prehaps  get around 900-1000 This DOES NOT include keyboard and peripherals 

6 minutes ago, Starglider said:

My older machine with a GTX570 is still running strong, not AAA max out but still good, but feels very slow compared to my i7 4970k GTX980.

Cheap option:
Skylake and 4970k are about the same price, get a cheap mobo and use your old ram with the 4970k or similar, then throw everything you got into a new gfx card. Personally I would not buy the gfx card now and wait for 2nd gen pascal. This 1st gen series is disappointing.

But if I were you, I would wait till the 1100 series NVIDIA is out and make the decision then, what I am doing.

That is an extremely good idea, reuse old ram, although I do want this to last so prehaps invest a little bit more in a future proof mobo? and by sinking rest of the money into a gfx card, what would I look at? something like an rx 480 or a 1060

Try not to think of Motherboars in that way, aka "futureproof". Think of motherboards as lots of money for lots of usb / device connectivity and PCI express lanes (m2 ssd etc). If you dont need all that then a cheap motherboard is future proof enough. Just like a PSU, dont waste your money on 1000W what you only use 300W.

Additional:

Ram, speeds on ram is a waste of money also, 3000 billion GHZ ram vs 1600mhz ram, you wont notice the difference, I always buy 1666/1600 or 1866mhz, rest is a waste. Always go for bigger stick sizes so you have room to expand later if you want to. Unless you want the 4 stick light show from avexir ;)

1 minute ago, Starglider said:

Additional:

Ram, speeds on ram is a waste of money also, 3000 billion GHZ ram vs 1600mhz ram, you wont notice the difference, I always buy 1666/1600 or 1866mhz, rest is a waste. Always go for bigger stick sizes so you have room to expand later if you want to. Unless you want the 4 stick light show from avexir ;)

I want to try and start at 16GB, as that will cover my ass for a while. 

3 minutes ago, Starglider said:

Try not to think of Motherboars in that way, aka "futureproof". Think of motherboards as lots of money for lots of usb / device connectivity and PCI express lanes (m2 ssd etc). If you dont need all that then a cheap motherboard is future proof enough. Just like a PSU, dont waste your money on 1000W what you only use 300W.

Can you recommend me a mobo and a psu? 

My work machine is i7 4970k GTS980 16GB...

Ram on win10 pro is at 40% no apps bar Chrome running (now).

When I have photoshop, illustrator, phpstorm, notepad++, nodejs apps/servers and chrome open with 10 to 20 tabs its at about 80%.

If I am using Unreal Engine 4, I have a few times got the message out of ram.

If I am using Belnder, I've never had the message out of ram and it's never maxed it out.

3 minutes ago, Starglider said:

Additional:

Sorry mate but you're wrong :/ 

Getting faster RAM can yeild like 10% of a FPS improvement in games and whatever so...depending on the speeds of the RAM and what game/application it is, there could be a significant improvement :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

@Mr.Meerkat 10% on something thats a core 2 due from the 18th century maybe, not these days... Test it, google it, view some peoples testing and bench marks of this and also LLT luke has tested this and many other YT channels also.

1% at best, 10% hell no rofl.

Just no...

4 minutes ago, Starglider said:

Bro, there's no such thing as a 4970K

5 minutes ago, Starglider said:

Ram on win10 pro is at 40% no apps bar Chrome running (now).

When I have photoshop, illustrator, phpstorm, notepad++, nodejs apps/servers and chrome open with 10 to 20 tabs its at about 80%.

If I am using Unreal Engine 4, I have a few times got the message out of ram.

If I am using Belnder, I've never had the message out of ram and it's never maxed it out.

What is your point? 

16 minutes ago, Ru5h said:

Sorry, I have a little bit more, If I can sell my old pc at a decent price I could prehaps  get around 900-1000 This DOES NOT include keyboard and peripherals 

At that price get yourself a i5-6600k (or the Kaby Lake version when it becomes available) 16GB of RAM and a GTX1070...  Also, just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a Z170 motherboard, that way you get the features and the OCing ability.  If you want a parts list, just ask.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

@jwal.... typo.. geeez... im sure you could have worked it out? frigin internet peeps...

system.png

system.png

system.png

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

At that price get yourself a i5-6600k (or the Kaby Lake version when it becomes available) 16GB of RAM and a GTX1070...  Also, just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a Z170 motherboard, that way you get the features and the OCing ability.  If you want a parts list, just ask.

Would that be alright, if you got me a parts list?

Is there any benefit in custom made pcs in sites like gladiator PCs or is that just a waste of money? 

8 minutes ago, Starglider said:

@Mr.Meerkat 10% on something thats a core 2 due from the 18th century maybe, not these days... Test it, google it, view some peoples testing and bench marks of this and also LLT luke has tested this and many other YT channels also.

1% at best, 10% hell no rofl.

Just no...

Just so you know, going from DDR3 1333 to 1600 gives you about a 4% performance boost in CPU bound games, and 1866 is about a 2% jump over 1600mhz... after that the jump to 2133 only offers about another 2%.

The problem is most games aren't CPU bound, so its not seen as easily.  The problem I really have with your statement, is that a 1333mhz kit of 8GB of RAM is like $30, but a 1866Mhz kit is like $40... totally worth it.

Edit: And talking about a game that produces 60fps, those jumps could be as much as 5fps... and if a video card produced 65fps versus that 60fps of another card, you wouldn't dare say that $10 isn't worth it.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Starglider said:

@Ru5h Point i minimum 16GB is perfect. 8gb for gamers, 16gb+ for workers.

I do both, and no 8GB is not enough for gaming, trust me, I've had issues before with that.

Espcially when playing minecraft

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

I have to agree, here. Thunderbolt 3 is the most compelling feature of Z170 for me, otherwise I would stick with Z97.

Just now, Starglider said:

@jwal.... typo.. geeez... im sure you could have worked it out? frigin internet peeps...

system.png

Dude, you said 4970K four times in a row! Also, I'm not a 'frigin' idiot, I know what a 4790K is!

@All whom believe memory mhz makes that much of a difference, I don't agree and you wont change my oppinion till I see benchmarks which counter what I have seen.

8 minutes ago, Starglider said:

@Ru5h Point i minimum 16GB is perfect. 8gb for gamers, 16gb+ for workers.

8GB isnt enough. BF1 ultra demands 10GB+.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO