1ByOne Mechanical Keypad Review / Giveaway

Jacktastic-Mofo

DISCLAIMER: I WAS GIVEN THIS PRODUCT FOR FREE, FOR AN UNBIASED REVIEW OF THE PRODUCT

WRITTEN REVIEW

So a company I had never heard of called 1ByOne had reached out to me the other day and asked me to review their Mechanical Keypad, with Kailh Blue mechanical switches and full RGB lighting and so I did.

• Physical Tour

• Kailh Blue Mechanical Switches (and one membrane)

• These key switches are great and feel very similar to Cherry MX Blues, however in a "gaming" product I would've liked to see switches like Cherry's browns or reds- something that would be a bit quieter when gaming / streaming.

• PBT Keycaps

• Not the best, not the worst feel solid and look really good. Not a huge fan of the font choice but the characters are easy to read and the RGB back lighting shines through really well.

• Full RGB lighting

• The RGB lighting is a HUGE selling point for this keypad as at this price point the Logitech and Razer competitors don't have that feature. The RGB is full programmable and has a lot of really nice features and cool effects.

• Made of plastic

• Certainly not the most AMAZING material choice but feels solid, the build quality overall is really good.

• 2 Rubber feet on the bottom

• The two rubber feet are only at the top of the keypad, would've liked to see one more towards the bottom although when your hands on it, it doesn't move around on any surface. Would still recommend using it on top of another mousepad to protect your desk.

• Rubber pad for wrist wrest

• Very comfortable and form fitting, this along with the concave alignment of the keys create a very comfortable using experience.

• 1.7 Meter braided cable

• Great cable, feels really strong and even has a Velcro strap for cable management.

• Software Overview

• CD with Software

• Easy to find Software on Website

• Editing basic lighting settings

• it's easy to edit the various lighting modes via the software which is pretty user friendly, could use some graphical and scaling improvements.

• Basic Macro setup

• It's also pretty easy to setup macros and you can even have three different profiles to switch between for various games you play / programs you use.

• Pros

• Great price of $58-$60

• Very solid build quality

• Great Keyswitches

• Full RGB control

• Cons

• Mushy membrane spacebar feels terrible vs mech switches

• Software could use some improvements

• Recommendation and Conclusion

• Would I recommend this game pad?
      • Yes, for people who already own a mechanical keyboard and are looking to create a more ergonomic gaming setup.
    • What do I think about this game pad?
      • I think this is a pretty nice product and in the proper use case is actually pretty awesome- I've been using it for gaming for the past few days and I have to say I definitely feel more comfortable using this along side a mouse rather a mouse and full size keyboard. I LOVE the full RGB lighting and the solid build quality. I'd certainly recommend.

VIDEO REVIEW

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed giveaway link

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I WAS GIVEN THIS PRODUCT FOR FREE, FOR AN UNBIASED REVIEW OF THE PRODUCT

That is not how it works

when you pay for it the value aspect is alot more important because there is an actual loss

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

On 8/29/2016 at 6:17 PM, thekeemo said:

That is not how it works

when you pay for it the value aspect is alot more important

Read the recommendation, I don't really recommend this product unless you already have a good mech keyboard and are looking for a way to further you gaming setup by making it more comfortable.

On 8/29/2016 at 6:20 PM, GoodBytes said:

Moved out of Tech News section to : Members Review.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

59 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Read the recommendation, I don't really recommend this product unless you already have a good mech keyboard and are looking for a way to further you gaming setup by making it more comfortable.

Im not saying that your review is not fair

but it is not unbiased and is most likely different from how it would be had you paid for it yourself

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Does the giveaway ship internationally?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

9 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Does the giveaway ship internationally?

You're in Australia? So long as it's available on the AU Amazon you should be qualified for it.

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

You're in Australia? So long as it's available on the AU Amazon you should be qualified for it.

They only sell ebooks in AU amazon xD
The american Amazon says it doesn't ship to Australia :S 

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

• 2 weeks later...

Good written an video review.

I have actually been looking into getting a product like this, just to set up a whole bunch of macros for use while doing digital art, but I have not come across a product I found adorable enough for this purpose. I will think about this product though, as it does look really good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 6 months later...

The spacebar is not membrane. It's a kailh red switch. At least do a bit of research...

8 hours ago, Khaozik said:

The spacebar is not membrane. It's a kailh red switch. At least do a bit of research...

Do you own one? I've used a Kailh red, and it doesn't feel like Kailh reds.