Do these temps look right?

KWelz

Because I don't think they do.  In the never ending fight to get better temps I seem to be loosing the war.   

I have everything settled into a H440 case.

6700K at 1.4 Volts max

EVGA 980ti X2 in SLI not overclocked currently.  

One 280MM radiator at the front of the case pulling air in and a 360MM Radiator at the top of the case exhausting the air. 

I tried flipping the rear fan around to intake at one point even.  

Ambient Temp is around 20.5C

I tested it using AIDA64 doing a 5 minute run which included the GPUs and the front and top cover removed.     

The first run gave me the following results.  

20160826_214351.jpg

I ran a second test with the Front and top Panel back on and got these results.  20160826_220313.jpg

The numbers in both cases seem FAR to high..   Block is New.  Everything is clean.  Pump is running well.     Switched from x99 to Z170.   Before I blamed the case.  But at this point I don't know what the hell is going on.   Maybe I just expect too much from water..   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

2 hours ago, KWelz said:

Because I don't think they do.  In the never ending fight to get better temps I seem to be loosing the war.   

I have everything settled into a H440 case.

6700K at 1.4 Volts max

EVGA 980ti X2 in SLI not overclocked currently.  

One 280MM radiator at the front of the case pulling air in and a 360MM Radiator at the top of the case exhausting the air. 

I tried flipping the rear fan around to intake at one point even.  

Ambient Temp is around 20.5C

I tested it using AIDA64 doing a 5 minute run which included the GPUs and the front and top cover removed.     

The first run gave me the following results.  

I ran a second test with the Front and top Panel back on and got these results.  

The numbers in both cases seem FAR to high..   Block is New.  Everything is clean.  Pump is running well.     Switched from x99 to Z170.   Before I blamed the case.  But at this point I don't know what the hell is going on.   Maybe I just expect too much from water..   

yah it looks like it was thermal throttled, and im 99%9 sure you used thermal paste, but did you use it?

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

Just now, Pcinacan said:

yah it looks like it was thermal throttled, and im 99%9 sure you used thermal paste, but did you use it?

Hey, I missed it not that long ago on a GPU install so....   But yes.  I actually reinstalled Thermal Paste yesterday hoping that would solve the issue.   I took extreme care to make sure I reapplied it.   Using Noctua NT-H!

It did Thermal Throttle a bit.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Just now, KWelz said:

Hey, I missed it not that long ago on a GPU install so....   But yes.  I actually reinstalled Thermal Paste yesterday hoping that would solve the issue.   I took extreme care to make sure I reapplied it.   Using Noctua NT-H!

It did Thermal Throttle a bit.  

hummmm, this is weird, i know someone that has a 6600k on a 120mm and it goes to like 60c

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

I also just ran a Test at Stock.  Did a complete CMOS reset and just turned on XMP.   

Got the following result. 

20160826_225512.jpg

If everything is working right those temps aren't that surprising... joint loops with gpu's really trash cpu temps (two gpu's running at 60C could have water running at 45C, and that will cause a cpu to be really hot.)

Gaming temps shouldn't be that bad though. I would try some gaming and let us know what happens.

Obviously the h440 sucks ass for airflow.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

If everything is working right those temps aren't that surprising... joint loops with gpu's really trash cpu temps (two gpu's running at 60C could have water running at 45C, and that will cause a cpu to be really hot.)

Gaming temps shouldn't be that bad though. I would try some gaming and let us know what happens.

Obviously the h440 sucks ass for airflow.

A couple games I play do get the Temps up in that level.  FF14 and GW2 are really bad.   Warframe gets up there as well.   

My water temp is what really worries me.  I had a catastrophic failure in a water look a couple weeks ago.  I blamed the case, and there may still be something to that.  but I seem to have a deeper issue.  The problem is I feel like I have replaced every possible part and temps still are not where they should be.   Keep in mind these temps are with the fans at Full speed.  When I lower them to a more reasonable level it gets worse. 

2 minutes ago, KWelz said:

A couple games I play do get the Temps up in that level.  FF14 and GW2 are really bad.   Warframe gets up there as well.   

My water temp is what really worries me.  I had a catastrophic failure in a water look a couple weeks ago.  I blamed the case, and there may still be something to that.  but I seem to have a deeper issue.  The problem is I feel like I have replaced every possible part and temps still are not where they should be.   Keep in mind these temps are with the fans at Full speed.  When I lower them to a more reasonable level it gets worse. 

If you set FPS caps do they stay that bad?

Anyways, the next step if you don't want to buy a new case is disassemble your water blocks and make sure they don't have any stuff stuck in them.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

If you set FPS caps do they stay that bad?

Anyways, the next step if you don't want to buy a new case is disassemble your water blocks and make sure they don't have any stuff stuck in them.

That has been my temporary fix.  If I move the FPS cap in GW2 down to around 60 it is ok.  FF14 and Warframe are ok close to 100.   But at 144 they make the system scream. :(   GPU temps stay in the mid 50s to low 60 at max.  But my poor CPU suffers.    

I checked the block the other day but I am going to drain the loop and check again here in a bit.   

I have been through so many cases.   X71, Evolv ATX(that went really badly), current H440 and now I have an X31 sitting here deciding if I should move everything over or not.  Given that the temps still seemed too high with the covers off I am not sure if that will help.   

Seriously.  At this point I know it has to be something I have done wrong.  

3 Processors.  5820K, 6800K, 6700K

2 CPU blocks

3 Pumps.

2 new Radiators

3 Cases....   

Fresh Windows 10 Install.   

Obviously I am missing SOMETHING here.  I am a fairly intelligent man with 20+ years of Computer building experience.   I have been doing water loops for a couple years.  But this really has me stumped.  

The only other thing I think I might try is getting rid of the Pastel fluid.  There is no reason it should matter at all.  But something isn't right here and it is about the only thing left. 

9 minutes ago, KWelz said:

That has been my temporary fix.  If I move the FPS cap in GW2 down to around 60 it is ok.  FF14 and Warframe are ok close to 100.   But at 144 they make the system scream. :(   GPU temps stay in the mid 50s to low 60 at max.  But my poor CPU suffers.    

I checked the block the other day but I am going to drain the loop and check again here in a bit.   

I have been through so many cases.   X71, Evolv ATX(that went really badly), current H440 and now I have an X31 sitting here deciding if I should move everything over or not.  Given that the temps still seemed too high with the covers off I am not sure if that will help.   

Seriously.  At this point I know it has to be something I have done wrong.  

3 Processors.  5820K, 6800K, 6700K

2 CPU blocks

3 Pumps.

2 new Radiators

3 Cases....   

Fresh Windows 10 Install.   

Obviously I am missing SOMETHING here.  I am a fairly intelligent man with 20+ years of Computer building experience.   I have been doing water loops for a couple years.  But this really has me stumped.  

The only other thing I think I might try is getting rid of the Pastel fluid.  There is no reason it should matter at all.  But something isn't right here and it is about the only thing left. 

I'm running two 980ti's (OC'd), a 5820k (lightly OC'd) and I hit high 70s on 60-100 FPS intense long gaming sessions (and that is with a cpu utilization of only like 15-20% max), and I have a 45mm 280 and a 30mm 420 (which has almost 40% more surface area than your system.) But my fans run fairly slow...

Those temps don't seem that far off if you have cpu intense loads (and you are using a really bad case for airflow)... The gpu's just heat soak the loop so hard (GPU dies are bare and thus when they run at 60C that is a super high water temp)...

If you had one, I would highly recommend the Define S and/or the Mastercase Pro 5 (those two are by far best midtowers for cooling perf, with the Define S being much quieter, but lacking some features it seems you might want.)

I mean yea feel free to try using regular fluids (I'm using X-1 irc).

What fans are you using?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Fans are Thermaltake Riing.   

I was debating betweent the Define S and the X31 today.   Went with the X31 because it has the same airflow and covers the PSU.   Maybe I just need to say screw it and get a SMA8.  Hell with what I have spent on other cases I could buy one right now no problems. 

1 minute ago, KWelz said:

Fans are Thermaltake Riing.   

I was debating betweent the Define S and the X31 today.   Went with the X31 because it has the same airflow and covers the PSU.   Maybe I just need to say screw it and get a SMA8.  Hell with what I have spent on other cases I could buy one right now no problems. 

You don't need that much overkill, but you might need more rad space, esp if you are going 120mm versions (not recommended honestly.)

Those fans are bad. The 120mm Riing fans are really really bad. You could try push pull with them or get better ones, but honestly there is such a huge drop in perf going from 140mm fans and rads to 120mm fans and rads at the same noise level... With that I honestly think it's probably just too much heat in that loop with two 980ti's sharing the same water...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

My other option is to just go back to my X17.  The whole reason I moved away from it is the wasted space though.  If it had the basement with the Room for a Radiator there and then just the top with a normal ATX chamber it would be fine.  But it has that extra space for a second PSU that is wasted and looks like crap.. 

3 minutes ago, KWelz said:

My other option is to just go back to my X17.  The whole reason I moved away from it is the wasted space though.  If it had the basement with the Room for a Radiator there and then just the top with a normal ATX chamber it would be fine.  But it has that extra space for a second PSU that is wasted and looks like crap.. 

Yea I'd consider going back to the X71 and maybe throw in another rad. It seems like the basement does have room (three rads total). At least for a thin one.

pic2.jpg

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I actually had a 360x60 in there at one point.   

But lets talk options and requirements since you know far more than I do.  

First off my fans.  I was not aware they were that bad.   Shame on me for listening to hype I guess.   

What should I be looking at as an alternative?   My gut tells me just go and get some Noctua.  I don't mind paying for quality as long as they do the job.   

Radiators.   Assuming I don't switch back to the X71, should I stick with the 280+360 or should I consider dual 360s in either of the case options.  The difference in surface area between the two is only about 10% but I am not sure how that impacts overall performance.  

Case.   Either of the above would I be ok in the X31 or H440?  Or do you think I still need a larger case with more Rad support? 

Finally if I do go back to the X71 do you feel I should consider dual loops?   I could run the CPU on a single 360 up top and then  the GPUs on a front 280 and basement mounted 360.   

Obviously the absolute best solution is to go with a Dual loop in the X71 with all new fans.  However I am honestly trying to keep from going back to such a large case.  It has a number of downfalls in my current setup and I just don't like having a monolith next to me while I am working. 

16 minutes ago, KWelz said:

I actually had a 360x60 in there at one point.   

But lets talk options and requirements since you know far more than I do.  

First off my fans.  I was not aware they were that bad.   Shame on me for listening to hype I guess.   

What should I be looking at as an alternative?   My gut tells me just go and get some Noctua.  I don't mind paying for quality as long as they do the job.   

Radiators.   Assuming I don't switch back to the X71, should I stick with the 280+360 or should I consider dual 360s in either of the case options.  The difference in surface area between the two is only about 10% but I am not sure how that impacts overall performance.  

Case.   Either of the above would I be ok in the X31 or H440?  Or do you think I still need a larger case with more Rad support? 

Finally if I do go back to the X71 do you feel I should consider dual loops?   I could run the CPU on a single 360 up top and then  the GPUs on a front 280 and basement mounted 360.   

Obviously the absolute best solution is to go with a Dual loop in the X71 with all new fans.  However I am honestly trying to keep from going back to such a large case.  It has a number of downfalls in my current setup and I just don't like having a monolith next to me while I am working. 

EK Vardar would be a nice one if you don't want poop colored fans

k1HM55Ml.jpg

FKIVPuZl.jpg

Note how very very bad the Riing fans are at low-med speeds. I guess at top speeds they aren't that awful, but the EK fans are still better.

Dual 360s won't be better than 280+360, but three rads might help quite a bit.

As for case, this really depends on if you are ok with temps... The x31 should be a nice bit better than the h440, and if you are ok with the temps in gaming go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about the combined aida64 tests as that is never going to happen in actual use.

If you do go back to the x71, I would definitely consider dual loops (even with the same rad configuration, you would probably see a huge drop in CPU temps to get those two gpu's out of the CPU loop, even if the gpu temps increase 5C or so)

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Man.  Killing me here.   I think I need to sleep on this.   My preference would be to stick with a smaller case.  Honestly I really want to go back to an Evolv ATX but that really seems unreasonable.   

If I go Noctua I would either get the black versions or rattle can them.   I actually did that in my Hackintosh build.  

Thanks for all the help.  I really appreciate it and will probably be back with more questions later. 

11 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Man.  Killing me here.   I think I need to sleep on this.   My preference would be to stick with a smaller case.  Honestly I really want to go back to an Evolv ATX but that really seems unreasonable.   

If I go Noctua I would either get the black versions or rattle can them.   I actually did that in my Hackintosh build.  

Thanks for all the help.  I really appreciate it and will probably be back with more questions later. 

I am just trying to figure out how to interpret your data and all the information in this thread...

Hehe I am noob, with a solid few months of awareness level experience.

I have a 6700k and a Noctua cooler AND all my handguns are black.. we are like the same person?!

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

What are your water and GPU temps like? I assume your chip isn't delidded?

Liquid cooling since 2002.

8 hours ago, unholy_walrus said:

What are your water and GPU temps like? I assume your chip isn't delidded?

Haven't checked water Temps.   GPU temps tend to max out in the Mid 50s with occasional spikes a bit higher.  But they are much more stable and lower than the CPU temp. 

Well your water temp is what matters here. It'll tell us whether the problem is in your loop or the CPU contact (die to ihs or ihs to block). I mean I've seen a 6700k do this before before delidding. 

Liquid cooling since 2002.

Temps taking with an IR temp gun are showing around 52 on the outside of the Res and tubing after heavy load with the top and front panel on.   Better than the evolv ATX gave me but still seems high. 

On 8/27/2016 at 0:37 AM, Curufinwe_wins said:

EK Vardar would be a nice one if you don't want poop colored fans

k1HM55Ml.jpg

FKIVPuZl.jpg

Note how very very bad the Riing fans are at low-med speeds. I guess at top speeds they aren't that awful, but the EK fans are still better.

Dual 360s won't be better than 280+360, but three rads might help quite a bit.

As for case, this really depends on if you are ok with temps... The x31 should be a nice bit better than the h440, and if you are ok with the temps in gaming go for it. I wouldn't worry too much about the combined aida64 tests as that is never going to happen in actual use.

If you do go back to the x71, I would definitely consider dual loops (even with the same rad configuration, you would probably see a huge drop in CPU temps to get those two gpu's out of the CPU loop, even if the gpu temps increase 5C or so)

I have three each of the 140MM and 120MM Noctua fans coming tomorrow.  I am going to move everything over to the X31 case for now and see how things go.   It will let me show off more o the tubing anyway.