6-pin to 8-pin cable

Mycola

Hello, recently i bought a RX 470 graphics card and my power cable is the wrong type to connect to it. I have looked online for a converter from 6-pin to 8-pin and I can't find the correct 6-pin for it. I was wondering if any of you may know where to get a 6-pin to 8-pin power converter (My 6-pin has 2 squares. Only ones i find have a 3 square veriety) or if that isn't possible to point me at a psu that has 450w+ capabilities.

P.S. I actually found the kind of converter i was looking for online and I got it but they sent me the wrong one 2 times now... this is the kind of cable i am looking for (and the one i bought 2 times now) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZ45BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What PSU do you have?

Generally if your PSU doesn't have the right power connector, you shouldn't be looking for adapters. I would consider buying a new PSU.

My granddad used a power converter cable for his CPU power for about 6 years and when we opened it we found the white plastic connector to be burnt a bit. Not saying it will always happen but best to not go that route.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

I'm not an expert, but I'm not sure that the 6pin could provide enough power.

check your case for an 8 pin, or 2 6pins.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

The connectors on the video card are standardized, 6 pin pci express connectors or 8pin pci express connectors. An RX 470 shouldn't need more than 6pin connector, but some manufacturers use 8 pin connector just because it's common.

My guess is you're confusing the 8 pin connector for processor with the 8 pin pci express connector or something like that.

But in case you really don't have a 8 pin pci-e connector, here's a 6 pin pci-e to 8 pin pci-e cable :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423175&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=6_pin_pci-express_to_8_pin_pci-express-_-12-423-175-_-Product

Another one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200420&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=6_pin_pci-express_to_8_pin_pci-express-_-12-200-420-_-Product

Another example 6pin two 2 x 6+2 pin : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706014&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=6_pin_pci-express_to_8_pin_pci-express-_-12-706-014-_-Product

If you don't have pci-e connectors at all, you can use 2 molex (hdd) connectors -> pci-e 8 pin : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400034&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=6_pin_pci-express_to_8_pin_pci-express-_-12-400-034-_-Product  (but you shouldn't use such an adapter for more than rx 470)

Here is a worst case scenario I found on google images explaining what I said above.

cimg9377.jpg

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

and my pc only has 2 6-pins, it doesn't have a single 8-pin, that's why im looking for an adapter

This is how my cable and port look like.

20160819_174937.jpg

20160819_175312.jpg

45 minutes ago, Warning said:

Here is a worst case scenario I found on google images explaining what I said above.

cimg9377.jpg

That's not caused by using adapters in itself, but either poor contact,  cable gauge beliw spec,  or a combination of both, making it heat too much. It could happen without adapter as well, provided the quality of the connector is equally bad. 

Having said that, you'll most likely be able to assess the build quality only ex post... 

44 minutes ago, Mycola said:

This is how my cable and port look like.

Your cable will fit in the leftmost 6 slots in that picture. Your adapter should look like those 6 slots. 

However, in your situation, using an adapter that doesn't take power from anywhere other than the 6-pin is as good an idea as directly plugging the 6-pin in the gpu socket. In both cases it will work,  but if the card ever draws enough power to justify the 8-pin connector, the 6-pin cable will potentially overheat and end up like @Warning describes, whether it's the adapter or the cable itself. 

Hence, you could get away with just using the 6-pin, but if the idea is to avoid risks, a pure 6 to 8 adapter won't help much. 

Edited by SpaceGhostC2C
LEFT in the picture, not right. Go home, Spaceghost...

The 8-pin cable by design is stupid. The 6-pin has the same amount of 12V wires, as the 8-pin just adds some ground wires, so it makes no sense the 6-pin is not also rated for 150W like the 8-pin. The 8-pin cable has a whole lot of interesting history on how it came about, and in the end the design was really stupid and money dictated it. There is an interesting thread on Jonnyguru about all of this http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13418

@Mycola see the cables I suggested, they should all work. They change the 6 pin pci-e connector of your power supply into one or two pci-e 8 pin (or 6+2 that can be plugged in that connector on your video card)

got it to work, somehow. Thanks for all your help guys(and gals)

41 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

The 8-pin cable by design is stupid. The 6-pin has the same amount of 12V wires, as the 8-pin just adds some ground wires, so it makes no sense the 6-pin is not also rated for 150W like the 8-pin. The 8-pin cable has a whole lot of interesting history on how it came about, and in the end the design was really stupid and money dictated it. There is an interesting thread on Jonnyguru about all of this http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13418

So I stand corrected, no risk in just using the 6 or fooling the driver with an adapter, apparently (provided it's well made).