K'nex server

MG2R

As I've announced before, I was in the process of building a new iteration of my K'nex home server. This is the hardware build log, with pictures of the building process, as well as a video showing the server case empty as well as populated from all angles (check bottom). I'll be writing a tutorial on the software part as well, which you can find following the link below. Also, you can find more pictures in the Google+ album, follow the link below. Below is also a link to pictures of my previous home server

Software tutorial
More pictures
Previous home server

So, the idea with this server is primarily to function as a file server. It has 3 WDC Green 2TB drives, of which two are in RAID1. It features full disk encryption on all drives. It also server as personal cloud storage (see software config), a web server, a proxy server. It is generally just because I love working with computers. The reason I had to build a new one (this is the third iteration) is that the previous server had a malfunctioning power supply embedded in the motherboard which took almost all components with it.

Because I didn't want a malfunctioning PSU again, I decided to go with a quality ATX PSU this time, instead o fa power brick and onboard power delivery circuitry. The parts list is as follows:

• Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-I
  • CPU: Pentium G465
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
  • RAM: 2GB no brand DDR3 1066MHz
  • PSU: Corsair CX430M
  • Boot drive: Kinston SSDNow V+200 60GB
  • Storage drives: 3x2TB WDC Green
  • Case: K'nex version 3.0

I will be modding that PSU to incorporate a Noctua NF-F12, just as I did with the PSU of my gaming rig. This time, I'll be doing it a bit different, though. I'll be leaving the RPM sensing cable attached and connecting that to my motherboard for monitoring purposes. I made a video of that:

Now, for the build log: I started by salvaging and modifying the HDD cage from the previous iteration.
SDC13174.JPG
SDC13184.JPG

After that, I started work on the motherboard tray. Since this was a mini-ITX build, just as the previous iteration, I could re-use some of the previous tray.
SDC13165.JPG

Next, I figured out how to fit the PSU in my design:
SDC13171.JPG

Then, I attached all of the HDD cables before continuing with the rest of the wiring:
SDC13185.JPG
SDC13186.JPG

All wired up
SDC13188.JPG
SDC13192.JPG

Belgian flag anybody? (Yes I'm from Belgium)
SDC13194.JPG

At first, I used a Trancend SSD.
SDC13198.JPG

But because that was a piece of junk, I switched to the Kingston one
SDC13208.JPG

Last thing to do was fitting the massive cooler.
SDC13205.JPG

That's my latest home server build. Hope you enjoyed it.

==========================

UPDATE! [30/04/2013]

I've decided to start Litecoin mining on my server. To do that, I've bought a passively cooled 6450. To attach it, I had to use a 16x PCIe extender, because of the giant cooler sitting over the PCIe slot. I ordered mine at cablesaurus, because those have an external power connector. It arrived broken though, if you look carefully, you can see one trace missing.

SDC13303.JPG

Nothing a little bit of soldering can't fix of course ;)

SDC13305.JPG

SDC13309.JPG

And to house this thing, I had to expand the server a little bit. Not a problem with K'nex though :)

SDC13297.JPG

SDC13300.JPG

Nice, I sent ages with k'nex as a child. I was thinking of making a LEGO case.

"An Excellent Signature"

As a fellow Belgian and K'nex fanboy I must congratulate you. This is awesome.

Usually I hate coloured cables but in this case they go extremely well with the colourfull K'nex parts.

Also do you think you'll have problems with dust?

As a fellow Belgian and K'nex fanboy I must congratulate you. This is awesome.

Usually I hate coloured cables but in this case they go extremely well with the colourfull K'nex parts.

Also do you think you'll have problems with dust?

Yeah, when you're building with K'nex colors really don't matter :p

I don't really care about the dust, I'll probably by one of those magnetic clip-on fan filters for my PSU but the rest may get as dusty as the Sahara ;) I take the server out at least once a year (LAN party), so it gets regular cleaning ;)

Same mouse and keyboard setup as me lol! I love my MX!

LOL great selection of casing!

And you have an odd selection of motherboard for such a low end processor. You could've gone with cheaper motherboards and save yourself some money. Also the cooler is overpowered LOL

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

LOL great selection of casing!

And you have an odd selection of motherboard for such a low end processor. You could've gone with cheaper motherboards and save yourself some money. Also the cooler is overpowered LOL

Aha, but the motherboard wasn't entirely by choice... These were parts I got as RMA for the broken parts on the previous iteration.

The cooler is meant to be overpowered, as it's meant to run silent ;)

Wow man thats awesome xD Just wish I'd thought of it

• 3 weeks later...

Wow man thats awesome xD Just wish I'd thought of it
thats still a awesome build lol

Hehe nice job =)

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

• 5 weeks later...

Nice one, but I still prefer real server cases, might be a bit more expensive, but totally worth it.

This looks pretty awesome, but how strong/stable is it?

Nice one, but I still prefer real server cases, might be a bit more expensive, but totally worth it.

Why are they 'totally worth it'? A server case would kill airflow, forcing me to use small high RPM fans to keep everything cool. Now this thing is inaudible when my drives are in standby, allowing me to keep it in my bedroom without having to turn it off when I go to bed.

This looks pretty awesome, but how strong/stable is it?

Actually pretty sturdy. I'm able to pick it up with one hand without the case breaking/any links disconnecting :)

Nice build there!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Nice biuld there dude! Not sure if serious or just for LOLs but definitely gona get a mention in the LIVE SHOW Linus and Slick do!

This is a pretty creative build, if you do some more tidying of of cables and such, you may get build log of the week!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

This is a pretty creative build, if you do some more tidying of of cables and such, you may get build log of the week!

I've tried, but failed miserably... It is pretty impossible to tidy up cables in such a small compartiment :( I'm already happy that it fits all the cables as is :p

I absolutely love k'nex cases. I have a mate who built one with with the capability to hold a screen. Looked pretty awesome:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/showthread.php/2445-K-nex-case-Mk2-update-1

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I absolutely love k'nex cases. I have a mate who built one with with the capability to hold a screen. Looked pretty awesome:

http://www.atkcommunity.com/showthread.php/2445-K-nex-case-Mk2-update-1

Holy crap, that's awesome!

That's genious! When I saw the title I wasn't sure if k'nex was just a fancy name, of if someone actually intended to build a case with it. :D

I'm always serious in my titles ;)

+ it's nice to have people ask "what do you mean by K'nex server?"