12 Pin Connector?

spwath

Im looking for the smallest 12 pin connector to use for a project. Ideas?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

six by two dupont maybe? 

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

2 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Board to wire? Wire to Wire? Current required ?

Basically, Im making a keyboard, hand wiring it, its split, soo I need to connect to halves with a cable, with 12 connections, just sensing if there is an electrical connection or not.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 hours ago, spwath said:

Basically, Im making a keyboard, hand wiring it, its split, soo I need to connect to halves with a cable, with 12 connections, just sensing if there is an electrical connection or not.

As mentioned a dupont connectors would probably be the most compact another good one may be pre-crimped balance charge leads for batteries.

17 hours ago, spwath said:

That still tells us little about the type of connector you need. Do you want to connect both circuit boards together , requiring board to wire connectors. Or do you need something you can build into a enclosure ?

9 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

That still tells us little about the type of connector you need. Do you want to connect both circuit boards together , requiring board to wire connectors. Or do you need something you can build into a enclosure ?

They are hand wired, so i Will basically have 12 wires on one half, 12 wires on another half, and i need a connector i can build into the enclosure, with the cable between them. There is no pcb.

12 pin panel mount receptacle's and plugs:

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryId=700000005037&showResults=true&aa=true&pf=113176151

You need to match the correct plug and receptacle's off course.

A cheaper option would be your common DSUB style connector but those are bigger.

32 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

12 pin panel mount receptacle's and plugs:

http://uk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15001&langId=44&storeId=10151&categoryId=700000005037&showResults=true&aa=true&pf=113176151

You need to match the correct plug and receptacle's off course.

A cheaper option would be your common DSUB style connector but those are bigger.

What i probably will jjust do is have a controller in each half, and a usb cable to each. That means 2 usb cables, but then no bulky connector between them

2 usb cables = 8 wires (6 if you don't run power and ground twice).

An Ethernet cable has 8 internal wires. You can buy nice panel mounted Ethernet sockets you can build into your enclosure on both sides and then run an Ethernet cable between them.

Something like this: http://www.dhresource.com/albu_344239912_00-1.0x0/5pcs-0-6m-23-6-screw-panel-mount-cat5-rj45.jpg

I've used them like this, just cut off the connector from the cable and connect the wires to your own. I don't think there's any affordable connectors much more compact then this and you can use existing ethernet cable.

3 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

2 usb cables = 8 wires (6 if you don't run power and ground twice).

An Ethernet cable has 8 internal wires. You can buy nice panel mounted Ethernet sockets you can build into your enclosure on both sides and then run an Ethernet cable between them.

Something like this: http://www.dhresource.com/albu_344239912_00-1.0x0/5pcs-0-6m-23-6-screw-panel-mount-cat5-rj45.jpg

I've used them like this, just cut off the connector from the cable and connect the wires to your own. I don't think there's any affordable connectors much more compact then this and you can use existing ethernet cable.

No, im saying I use a seperate USB controller in each half of the keyboard, so I no longer need a link of 12 wires between them.

On 6/25/2016 at 10:43 AM, spwath said:

No, im saying I use a seperate USB controller in each half of the keyboard, so I no longer need a link of 12 wires between them.

I had the exact same problem, same number of connectors too, and sounds like a similar project.

The only connectors that looked easy enough to solder were huge 12pin molex connectors.

I just went with the dual controllers.

20160329_165556_zpsbvwedbqz.jpg

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

21 minutes ago, t0wer said:

I had the exact same problem, same number of connectors too, and sounds like a similar project.

The only connectors that looked easy enough to solder were huge 12pin molex connectors.

I just went with the dual controllers.

20160329_165556_zpsbvwedbqz.jpg

Oooh,nice keyboard. Mine is pretty similar, but more standard, my own custom layout.

((not wired yet)

20160628_184834.jpg