Need help customizing my SSD!

3 hours ago, SkittlezTheCool said:

Hey guys,

My PC build has a red theme, but my OCZ SSD has a blue graphic on it. Here is a photo of my build for reference.

I was just wondering what's a good idea to change the blue to a red accent and help it fit in.

Any ideas would be awesome, thanks!

If you wanted to you could take off the stickers and paint the shell of the drive or vinyl wrap it as another option. 

What's the MSI branded thing in the other slot? It would be cool if you could make it look like that if it's some kind of case badge on an SSD.

On 5/28/2016 at 1:08 PM, SkittlezTheCool said:

Hey guys,

My PC build has a red theme, but my OCZ SSD has a blue graphic on it. Here is a photo of my build for reference.

I was just wondering what's a good idea to change the blue to a red accent and help it fit in.

Any ideas would be awesome, thanks!

Yeah, honestly It would look better either black or red, if it matched your other ssd that would be ideal, but probably isn't possible unless you modified both.

Personally I would paint them both black, and throw a red sticker on both of them. If you decide to go this route let me know as I could send you red vinyl decals for both of them probably for $4+shipping (if in US would be $5 total)

Red racing strips or your build name would look great on black for your build imo.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

On 29/05/2016 at 3:43 AM, l__T__l said:

What's the MSI branded thing in the other slot? It would be cool if you could make it look like that if it's some kind of case badge on an SSD.

On 29/05/2016 at 10:51 PM, MeDownYou said:

Yeah, honestly It would look better either black or red, if it matched your other ssd that would be ideal, but probably isn't possible unless you modified both.

Personally I would paint them both black, and throw a red sticker on both of them. If you decide to go this route let me know as I could send you red vinyl decals for both of them probably for $4+shipping (if in US would be $5 total)

Red racing strips or your build name would look great on black for your build imo.

Hi guys sorry I forgot out this post but thank you very much for your replies. The other SSD with the MSI badge on it is my old dead SSD and the MSI badge I got with the motherboard. I will consider painting it black or red.

MeDownYou, I am in the UK so I will think about your offer but shipping would cost more. What kind of paint would you recommend, and should I try and remove the blue sticker or just leave it on there?

Thanks!

On 28/05/2016 at 10:31 PM, W-L said:

If you wanted to you could take off the stickers and paint the shell of the drive or vinyl wrap it as another option. 

What paint would you recommend using? Spray paint I'm thinking.

3 hours ago, SkittlezTheCool said:

What paint would you recommend using? Spray paint I'm thinking.

If you want to paint it remove the sticker, but for spray paint the general hardware store stuff will work but for better color options and vibrant colors try automotive brands like duplicolor.

8 hours ago, SkittlezTheCool said:

Hi guys sorry I forgot out this post but thank you very much for your replies. The other SSD with the MSI badge on it is my old dead SSD and the MSI badge I got with the motherboard. I will consider painting it black or red.

MeDownYou, I am in the UK so I will think about your offer but shipping would cost more. What kind of paint would you recommend, and should I try and remove the blue sticker or just leave it on there?

Thanks!

I would recommend taking off the sticker as well, fun trick if you have a heat gun point it at the sticker for a bit (testing whether or not it is ready to take off frequently) and you can peel it off easily leaving much less sticker glue and saving the sticker as well if so inclined.(some people collect stickers of tech stuff lol)

As for paint I wouldn't be too concerned with which type you get rather how you prep your drives to paint and what conditions you paint in make a much larger difference. Clean, Very Clean surfaces to paint are the best I like to wash things and dry them personally, and a dust free/bug free spot to paint - just take your time if you need a second coat that's fine stay 6 inches away start your spray away from your project and swipe over it stopping off your project, that way your paint stays the most even and turns out the best. 

Pertaining shipping cost last time I mailed a plain letter to the UK it cost me about $1.50, and since SSD's are 2.5 inches anything should fit in a standard envelope. (so total that would be 5.50-ish (less than 4 pounds)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

15 hours ago, SkittlezTheCool said:

Thanks!

See if you can ask MSI for another one of those badges and paint the SSD black so they match. That should fit well with your theme. It would look decent just painting it black or just painting it red but they wouldn't match very well unless you removed the badge from the dead SSD.

Geforce Garage had a video where they made a vinyl sticker for an SSD. I think if you made a sticker that looked like the original, but in red and black, that would look sick. People would think that OCZ did custom run of their SSD just for you.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena