If the next Xbox was Modular and ran W10, would you buy it?

DaltonM

Want a modular Xbone?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy it?

• Yes, I don't already own a Xbox or PS4
    • Yes, and I already own an Xbox/PS4
    • Yes, it'd be good for travel or to play Xbox Exclusives
    • No, I am fine with my current Xbox/PS4
    • No, I am fine not owning a console
    • No, I'd rather just get a next generation of consoles

Retailers seem to be offloading all the  Xbones they can. And E3 is right around the corner. 

I want to pose a question to you PC gamers.

What if they rebooted the Xbox one with a removable GPU element and running Windows 10. If you have W10, you probably have the Xbox app, what if you booted that up and were able to play console exclusives like Halo and Gears of War.

I would assume it'd keep the form factor of the Xbone, but have an expansion slot for upgrading the GPU. I don't feel consumers would want to fiddle with CPU or traditional PC HDD upgrade. 

I have both an Xbox One and a powerful PC, but I would love to take my Steam games on the road. I have a laptop with a 940M but it doesn't perform the best. If I could play my steam games at xbone quality on the go, I would instantly sold on a new xbone, despite owning one.

As for upgrading the GPU, all games would most likely be compatible with the base model, but upgrading would be more of a longevity concern, rather than having your games look better than other's 

What do you think? 

It would be a barebones PC at that point..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

It would be a PC at that point..

IMO this kind of xbox could kill the Steam Machine (as if it's not already dead lol)

I wouldn't, but I'd love for that to be the next console.  It would most likely put an end to crappy "console ports" since it would be no different than running on a PC, and it would probably help consoles stay up to date, which would be good for getting them to a position where they don't constantly hold back the industry.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

My PC is probably more powerful than it will be xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DaltonM said:

SINP

What do you think? 

No its pointless unless the CPU can be upgraded in the future too, since it will just massively bottleneck the GPU a few years down the line when you upgrade! the CPU/motherboard could easily be a drop in replacement part if they made the whole system modular

Also there are ways to make steam streaming work outside the house, so you can stream games from your desktop to laptop/tablet when on the move

Also the PS4 supports hard drive upgrades, its easy, so not sure why you said the HDD could not be upgradable

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For me I do not mind the lower graphics capabilities of the xbox one compared to my desktop gaming rig. For me I would like to see the ability to play the games I purchase on both my xbox or the computer without having to repurchase them. Until there is the ability to have cross platform gaming I will continue to use both my PC and Xbox for many of my friends still only have the xbox. Why not just port the xbox over to the computer and allow you to run all xbox games on windows 10?

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

4 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Also the PS4 supports hard drive upgrades, its easy, so not sure why you said the HDD could not be upgradable

They could do the HDD in a 360 kind of way where it slots into the side. 

But I think if they put some kind of custom clock speed 4690k in it, it would last the 10 years a console should 

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

They could do the HDD in a 360 kind of way where it slots into the side. 

But I think if they put some kind of custom clock speed 4690k in it, it would last the 10 years a console should 

sure but the price would be much higher and at this point, it may aswell just BE a pc, considering most console users still own or need an actual computer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

sure but the price would be much higher and at this point, it may aswell just BE a pc, considering most console users still own or need an actual computer

Well it would be a PC. It just plays Xbox One games. It'd be like if microsoft made a steam machine that was actually good and was called an Xbox.

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Well it would be a PC. It just plays Xbox One games. It'd be like if microsoft made a steam machine that was actually good and was called an Xbox.

or they can release their games on PC, and sell low end pre configured console style PCs with a custom OS SKIN and automatic optimisation for hardware