AMD's new line of cards ... can't Crossfire them on pci-e 2.0 motherboards

DeViLzzz

So I saw an article that spoke to the fact that there is no Crossfire Bridge for the new AMD cards.  With that said how many people here were looking at possibly buying a new card cuz they are going to be so affordable and get another one later but won't now cuz these cards will only Crossfire on pci-e 3.0 based boards ?  I had thought of selling my son's 7850 for $100 if I could and put it towards a new card but no point now when on his 990FX board he won't be able to Crossfire these new AMD products.  I hope AMD changes this.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well buying a fx8320 is out the window for me now.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Wait so you need an Intel chipset motherboard to run AMD cards? 

I really hope this isn't true. I plan on buying their very next dual GPU card.... But my motherboard, while still freaking awesome, is older and only has PCI-e gen 2

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Do you have a link to the article? I don't imagine this could be true. Especially since I don't think there are any PCI-E 3.0 AMD mobo's. But I overslept the event so I haven't heard much

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Whoa, did AMD just shoot itslef in the foot right here?

Maybe not, by the time the new line of cards is available the new line of AMD CPUs will be announced, alongside with a new chipset that brings PCI-ex 3.0 hopefully. If not, they probbably did shoot itself in the foot.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Wait so you need an Intel chipset motherboard to run AMD cards? 

Zing!

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

A photo in an article showed that there was no way to physically connect the new cards.  I am trying to locate the photo now.

Source? 

Only the R7 250 doesn't have a crossfire connector:

amd_livestream_2.png

The rest... kinda do :)

amd_livestream_5.png

amd_livestream_3.png

amd_livestream_4.png

The R9 290x doesn't have one either (juding from pictures I saw yesterday)

And aren't the R9 280x and the R9 270x basicaly just relabled 7970s and 7950s? Of course they would have them.

edit: Actually the R270x only has one CF connector. Maybe it evne is just a relabled 7870 ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

http://www.gamefront.com/amd-announces-r9-r7-gpus/

Here is a source that mentions the no ribbon deal for Crossfire and so again will people without pci-e 3.0 on their motherboards be able to use the new cards ?  Is this no bridge thing for Crossfire only doable on pci-e 3.0 based motherboards ?  Is it tied at all to them or is this a driver related thing and AMD will allow me to use two of their new cards without a bridge on my son's 990FX board ?

The new R9 and R7 cards will still use CrossFire for multi-GPU gaming PCs, but the external ribbon connector is no more. All CrossFire communication is now handled strictly over PCI Express.

We’ll be updating this post with more information, including (hopefully) a price for the R9 290X.

It doesn't say anywhere about PCI-E 2.0!

http://www.gamefront.com/amd-announces-r9-r7-gpus/

Here is a source that mentions the no ribbon deal for Crossfire and so again will people without pci-e 3.0 on their motherboards be able to use the new cards ?  Is this no bridge thing for Crossfire only doable on pci-e 3.0 based motherboards ?  Is it tied at all to them or is this a driver related thing and AMD will allow me to use two of their new cards without a bridge on my son's 990FX board ?

... Huh. 

You are right:

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-Hawaii_31-635x357.jpg

No Ribbon Cable connector^

Edit:

Again.. The 290X and the 290 do not look like they have a Ribbon connector:

2013-09-25_15-34-16.jpg

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I told you guys no more xfire bridge..I read this along time ago about the new cards..lol

I told you guys no more xfire bridge..I read this along time ago about the new cards..lol

Yes but the thing is are the new cards able to run on boards with PCI-E 2.0 in Crossfire without a bridge at all ?  Will motherboards manufacturers need to provide a BIOS update to get Crossfire with no bridge to work ?  .... or ....

Can this be fixed with an AMD video card driver update ? 

You heard a long time ago there was no bridge going to be needed anymore and that is fine but your statement really doesn't answer the questions I or others have.  I linked this thread on AMD Gaming for Facebook and hope to get a response sometime this week.

i dont like the coolers... looks like its designed to kill the gpu and look good :| oh AMD

Character artist in the Games industry.

Yes but the thing is are the new cards able to run on boards with PCI-E 2.0 in Crossfire without a bridge at all ?  Will motherboards manufacturers need to provide a BIOS update to get Crossfire with no bridge to work ?  .... or ....

Can this be fixed with an AMD video card driver update ? 

You heard a long time ago there was no bridge going to be needed anymore and that is fine but your statement really doesn't answer the questions I or others have.  I linked this thread on AMD Gaming for Facebook and hope to get a response sometime this week.

You wanna run 2 brand new GPUs on PCI 2.0 lmao!!!!!!

Might as well put the cheapest 87 octane Gas you can find in a Ferrari!!

I know old AMD cards that run xfire without a bridge.

What was that card that Asus did a formula edition of. Look like an f1 car... 5770? or 4770 maybe.

That xfired without a ribbon cable through the motherboard, and that was long before pcie 2.0

EDIT: It was a 5750

I know old AMD cards that run xfire without a bridge.

What was that card that Asus did a formula edition of. Look like an f1 car... 5770? or 4770 maybe.

That xfired without a ribbon cable through the motherboard, and that was long before pcie 2.0

but again did the mobo provide the instructions or was it the video drivers provided by AMD ?

Very, very unwise words, my friend. This is forum of AMD fanboys, they are terrified thinking they wont be able to run Crossfire on their speedy FX-83xx xD

No, seriously, this is shitty news if it's true. I hope OP doesn't speak truth or I'm gonna kill AMD myself... first, their drivers make their GPUs work better with Intel while GeForce works good with both Intel and AMD. Now, they make their GPUs not be able to run in Crossfire on AMD motherboards? WTF AMD?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Somehow I think if you talked about the differences between pci-e 2.0 and 3.0 with Linus he would laugh at you.  I will now too.

Very, very unwise words, my friend. This is forum of AMD fanboys, they are terrified thinking they wont be able to run Crossfire on their speedy FX-83xx xD

No, seriously, this is shitty news if it's true. I hope OP doesn't speak truth or I'm gonna kill AMD myself... first, their drivers make their GPUs work better with Intel while GeForce works good with both Intel and AMD. Now, they make their GPUs not be able to run in Crossfire on AMD motherboards? WTF AMD?

Dude I am Green Team for my rig but I love AMD quite a bit and would love to one day go all Red Team for myself (physX .. find something equal AMD lol).  I even named my daughter after them (her initials make AMD and I agreed on the first and middle name cuz of this) and had AMD cpus for myself for years.  I recently got an AMD cpu and video card for my son and really am hoping they turn things around big time on many fronts so uh I hope that they didn't screw some of us, many of us here with the launch of these cards.  These things better work on pci-e 2.0 and only require an AMD video drivers update for the new card to work with no bridge cuz I don't think we could count on every manufacturer to do BIOS updates that would help us if that was needed.  However for me I am glad I have a more recent AMD board so if it required a BIOS update I am likely to get it.