NVIDIA Will Unveil Pascal GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 Graphics Cards at a Special Livestream Event May 6 – Cooler Shrouds Confirmed

Aytex
8 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Yeah, and it's not like the 1080 ti isn't going to displace the 1080 or anything. Nevermind whatever insane card AMD's cooking up with Vega.

The 1080 Ti won't displace the 1080. The 1080 (if it exists/gets released) will be faster and more expensive than the 1080, and come out later too.

Vega won't be out for like half a year (maybe even longer).

If you want a high end card you should probably buy the 1070 or 1080. If you want a midrange card then you should wait for Polaris.

If you are satisfied with the GPU you currently got then wait half a year and see what fits you needs and budget then.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The 1080 Ti won't displace the 1080. The 1080 (if it exists/gets released) will be faster and more expensive than the 1080, and come out later too.

Vega won't be out for like half a year (maybe even longer).

If you want a high end card you should probably buy the 1070 or 1080. If you want a midrange card then you should wait for Polaris.

If you are satisfied with the GPU you currently got then wait half a year and see what fits you needs and budget then.

Basically. I do wonder if AMD is expanding the Polaris line any further? Maybe for when GDDR5X comes around? I'm baffled that nVidia already somehow has it, but that's because they probably have more resources and mindshare at their disposal than AMD does.

9 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Basically. I do wonder if AMD is expanding the Polaris line any further? Maybe for when GDDR5X comes around? I'm baffled that nVidia already somehow has it, but that's because they probably have more resources and mindshare at their disposal than AMD does.

Polaris is for the mainstream, Vega is for the enthusiast segment. They both use the same architecture and process node.

GDDR5X is just an iterative update on GDDR5, and there's a tradeoff between cost, power consumption, performance, and the supply of the new(ish) memory type. Nvidia has generally focused a lot on a narrow memory interface running at very high clocks these past several years, while AMD has focused on a wider interface with lower clocks. GDDR5X is more useful for Nvidia's approach than AMD's. In the same way, it makes sense that AMD were first to market with HBM, which is a memory type that goes ultra-wide on the interface.

Still, Nvidia is forced to go with HBM2 for their GP100. GDDR5X just can't compete at the high end.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Polaris is for the mainstream, Vega is for the enthusiast segment. They both use the same architecture and process node.

GDDR5X is just an iterative update on GDDR5, and there's a tradeoff between cost, power consumption, performance, and the supply of the new(ish) memory type. Nvidia has generally focused a lot on a narrow memory interface running at very high clocks these past several years, while AMD has focused on a wider interface with lower clocks. GDDR5X is more useful for Nvidia's approach than AMD's. In the same way, it makes sense that AMD were first to market with HBM, which is a memory type that goes ultra-wide on the interface.

Still, Nvidia is forced to go with HBM2 for their GP100. GDDR5X just can't compete at the high end.

DDR VRAM will be completely obsolete once HBM finally goes mainstream.

Is this the first time nVidia has been to market first with a new memory architecture? It seems AMD was first to GDDR4/GDDR5/HBM.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Is this the first time nVidia has been to market first with a new memory architecture? It seems AMD was first to GDDR4/GDDR5/HBM.

GDDR3. Nvidia launched a Geforce FX 5700 Ultra with that in March 2004, ATI's first GDDR3 card was the X800 XT two months later.

20 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

DDR VRAM will be completely obsolete once HBM finally goes mainstream.

Which could take years or never at all. If what nVidia's saying is true, HBM is prohibitively expensive. That might be why we're seeing "NexGen Memory" on AMD's roadmap.

From what i understand GDDR5x is in very short supply right now, and isn't quite in full production yet, but given the relatively low amounts top tier cards sell, they have given Nvidia a limited amount to get the GTX1080 out before summer, I have a feeling the GTX1080's are going to be in short supply, and could be another FuryX where the prices get bumped up, so don't be too surprised when they are going for $700-750 a week after launch.

I don't think AMD can get their hands on the stuff until later in the year, AMD pre summer cards will be plain old GDDR5..

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

1 hour ago, super_skank said:

From what i understand GDDR5x is in very short supply right now, and isn't quite in full production yet, but given the relatively low amounts top tier cards sell, they have given Nvidia a limited amount to get the GTX1080 out before summer, I have a feeling the GTX1080's are going to be in short supply, and could be another FuryX where the prices get bumped up, so don't be too surprised when they are going for $700-750 a week after launch.

I don't think AMD can get their hands on the stuff until later in the year, AMD pre summer cards will be plain old GDDR5..

I don't think we'll be seeing any G5X cards from AMD this gen. Just GDDR5 and HBM 2.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

So any thoughts on how the mobile versions will work out? I love my battle station however it's not very family friendly. If the 1070 can drive a nice 1080p IPS 15" laptop without going all mount Vesuvius over extended time or breaking the bank this seems a dream.