Ultrawide or 3 Monitor Setup

cheshgoalie21

Rock and a Hard Place  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Monitor

• 34" ultrawide
    • 3 24" LG ergotech setup

I'm going to college in August and will be upgrading my setup for the occasion. This is my current setup http://pcpartpicker.com/b/cZPscf , I will be starting with my graphics card but that is undecided I am waiting for the release of the new generation to decide. The other component that I am upgrading will be my displays, which is the reason why I am in this thread.

I have had a huge craving for an Ultrawide and have for months. I have narrowed down my options and have my eyes set on the LG 34UC88-B for many reasons. But recently on massdrop, ergotech and LG teamed up to create a 3 monitor package(links below). I will be using my monitor for gaming like arma, CSGO, Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, etc along with school work and programming. I'm just having a hard time deciding whether I should stick with the Ultrawide or go with the 3 monitor setup. Does any one have any experience with either? Have any questions just ask away. Thanks!

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC88-B-ultrawide-monitor 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-ergotech-battlestation

well the colors are going to be more eh, on the 144hz

Also If your doing competitive try and go with a single 144hz (lol theres some pros that use ultrawide lmao)

Anyways if you could care less about any of that, I would go for the ultrawide, playing arma on a 34" would be just so awesome!

42 minutes ago, Aytex said:

well the colors are going to be more eh, on the 144hz

Also If your doing competitive try and go with a single 144hz (lol theres some pros that use ultrawide lmao)

Anyways if you could care less about any of that, I would go for the ultrawide, playing arma on a 34" would be just so 

Just now, KSores said:

I don't do any competitive 

Is the ultrawide worth 1000? Or should I get a 1440p monitor and put the rest into a better gpu/ssd

if you can possibly go for the x34, with that high refresh rate, ultrawide 1440p

I think its worth $1000

i would go with a cheaper ultrawide and then 2 16:9 monitors on the sites. 

or a 40" 4k

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I'd go with ultrawide. 34UC88 is a great screen without major issues, this is the best quality ultrawide on the market along with UC98 and it is already below $900. Triple monitor setup is problematic and I cannot really see a point of getting something like this for gaming while ultrawides are widely available. Maybe for some specific purposes like driving simulators or something, but for games you mentioned I cannot see any advantage of having 3 24" inch screens over one ultrawide.

Also, those 3 monitors are poor TN panel, so viewing angles will be huge concern for this kind triple monitor of setup, and colors and picture will be rather poor, while 34UC88 offers great quality 10 bit IPS panel. 

Definitely ultrawide.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

13 minutes ago, KSores said:

I don't do any competitive 

Is the ultrawide worth 1000? Or should I get a 1440p monitor and put the rest into a better gpu/ssd

You don't have to pay $1000, 34UC88 is already below 900. However if you have limited budget and you cannot get 3440x1440 ultrawide along with high end GPU, then better buy 1440p first and get high end GPU, and then save money and upgrade to ultrawide. 3440x1440 will be very hard to drive in demanding games without high end GPU. 2560x1440 too, but not that much. Or get high end GPU, stay on your current monitor and save money for ultrawide and upgrade in some close future.

I'd suggest waiting to June to see what new GPUs bring to the table and then decide what to do. If any Polaris card get close to Fury/FuryX performance then it will be better to choose it over them, because it will certainly have more than 4 GB of VRAM, it is important for such resolution like 3440x1440.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

13 minutes ago, KSores said:

I only have the space for 2 monitors or 1 ultrawide and 1 vertical monitor 

i would get the ultrawide for editing. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Ultrawide for sure, its a better experience imo, x34 is very nice if u can afford it