Stock vs Aftermarket

FRN

Just wondering, how much of a difference does it present when you use an aftermarket cooler.

If I were to pick between the two, Noctua NH-U9B SE2 or Cooler Master Hyper 212? Or any other cooler?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

A pretty big difference on Intel's Stock cooler

Idk about AMD's new wraith's

1 minute ago, rowanhazard said:

Go with the NH-U9B SE2

I'm not looking to overclock (or really can't overclock) since I'll be buying the i5-6500.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

1 minute ago, FRN said:

I'm not looking to overclock (or really can't overclock) since I'll be buying the i5-6500.

Then use a T12

2 minutes ago, rowanhazard said:

Then use a T12

Do you mean a T2? Would it be much quieter than the stock?

15 minutes ago, Aytex said:

A pretty big difference on Intel's Stock cooler

Idk about AMD's new wraith's

the wraith coolers are fine, though aftermarket cooler like the hyper 212 evo should perform better than it

if you have a locked cpu, stock cooler will do, skylake dont run too hot so they wont ramp up as much :P

i used my i5 6600 with stock cooler for awhile, after tweaking the fan profile its near silent during gaming, but its slightly audible during stress testing regardless

temps are around 80~83 in aida64 though lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, FRN said:

Do you mean a T2? Would it be much quieter than the stock?

I have the T2. It isn't very good, pretty much same as stock.

Get a Hyper 212 Evo

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

20 minutes ago, FRN said:

Don't get the 212 Evo, as it was a great cooler when it had no competition, it simply isn't worth it now.

Coolers such as the Cryorig H7 or the BeQuiet! Pure Rock are roughly the same price and are quieter and offer better temperatures.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 hours ago, FRN said:

Save your money imo. You won't need anything more than stock.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Don't get the 212 Evo, as it was a great cooler when it had no competition, it simply isn't worth it now.

Coolers such as the Cryorig H7 or the BeQuiet! Pure Rock are roughly the same price and are quieter and offer better temperatures.

THIS THIS THIS 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

From those two I'd pick 212 Evo. U9B SE isn't bad, but I've has U9B and thought of having 2x92mm fans in my case again isn't really what I want. Like said above, H7 and Pure Rock are at same price point. So if you really think you need aftermarket cooler, look at their pricing too.

But if you aren't doing anything really heavy like video editing or 3D modelling, stock will be fine. If noise is issue for you, then look at aftermarket coolers. Or looks.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you care about acoustics and silence... Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim, I've had awesome experience with them on i5 6500 builds 

Thank you everyone who replied. Will definitely check out these fans you suggested.

On 4/29/2016 at 1:13 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

Whilst that may be true, they don't have the same global reach as Cooler Master. The 212 EVO is available pretty much everywhere.

When it comes to a chip that can't be overclocked, pretty much anything is better than a stock cooler. Hell, a Cooler Master TX3 EVO would do the job, and that is so damn cheap.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

4 hours ago, TheCaptain53 said:

Whilst that may be true, they don't have the same global reach as Cooler Master. The 212 EVO is available pretty much everywhere.

When it comes to a chip that can't be overclocked, pretty much anything is better than a stock cooler. Hell, a Cooler Master TX3 EVO would do the job, and that is so damn cheap.

Going through a quick search the pure rock is available in most countries, the only one's I found that it isn't available and the 212 is, is in Canada.       ( That's a lie, it is just $20 more ) I actually almost didn't believe when the PURE ROCK was $20 cheaper in Australia.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The Pure Rock is an amazing cooler for the price. It's quieter, performs and looks better than the CM 212 Evo whilst costing the same in most stores. I'm keeping mine on silent mode (500 RPM) and it keeps my locked i5 around 50-55 degrees in CPU intensive games and around 62-65 degrees in a stress test. At a higher RPM, it doesn't go above 50 degrees.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

For a bit more, I personally prefer the 135mm fan of the Shadow Rock Slim, especially if you don't need too much cooling power, as it excels at low RPMs. Though if you are choosing between the Pure Rock and 212, I'll definitively prefer the PR