Make the "User has replied to this thread. View it" notification appear at the top.

Alright, forgive me for being stupid. But I use a magnifier on my PC. Shows in full-screen, and I prefer it that way. Whenever I hear the little 'ding' of this site showing I have a notification, my first instinct is to go where? Hmmm... maybe to that notification menu at the top.

But then I see there's nothing there! Instead the notification appears at the exact opposite spot on the page, which isn't visible through my magnifier's focus, so thinking I have no new notifications and the sound was just a glitch, I instantly go back to doing what I was doing in another program and never even notice the little box at the bottom of the screen.

It'd be a bit more user-friendly for those who also use full-screen magnifiers and possibly for those who like things in one convenient menu to put that notification (as well as other notifications that appear in that bottom corner) in the top notification box. And maybe you could add the ability to selectively delete notifications to prevent clutter.

Why not get a bigger monitor? This suggestion is basically tailored for you only. It would be like me saying, "I always keep my mouse hovering on the far left of the screen, exactly in the middle. Can you make notifications appear there?"

Those notifications don't appear in the notification dropdown because they are only valid until you refresh the page. When I open the notification dropdown, I'm expecting to then click a link that will take me to a different page, not to be told that someone has replied to this thread.

Now that you know the notification appears in the bottom left, it can't be too much of a workflow change to just move your cursor to check there as well if there are no new actual notifications. There aren't enough people who use magnifiers to justify us making significant changes to the site just to cater to them.

HTTP/2 203

Well, I mean, it's not too difficult for me now that I know where the notification pops up, and I'm in no means forcing you to change it, but it's just a bit awkward at first for those who may not notice the little box appearing at the bottom, even though they hear the sound of a new notification.

Maybe you could try something like what the Discourse forum software does, where it doesn't require you to manually refresh the page when there's a new reply. I mean, if the site can tell you there's a new reply without even refreshing the page than why not display it and play the sound instead of just saying "Hey! New reply over here! Refresh to see it!"

Again, you don't have to do it. Just a suggestion.

1 minute ago, MichaelTheShifter said:

Maybe you could try something like what the Discourse forum software does, where it doesn't require you to manually refresh the page when there's a new reply. I mean, if the site can tell you there's a new reply without even refreshing the page than why not display it and play the sound instead of just saying "Hey! New reply over here! Refresh to see it!"

It already does that - when there's a new reply, there's a button to show it.

HTTP/2 203

I know that, but I mean, instead of just showing a button that will then show it, maybe just automatically show the reply while playing the sound?

1 hour ago, MichaelTheShifter said:

I know that, but I mean, instead of just showing a button that will then show it, maybe just automatically show the reply while playing the sound?

That would annoy more people and require much more screen space. Now it that you can check it now, if you like, or later. Having whole content or even small sortition just wouldn't be very practical.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv