SONY vs LG TV confusion.

SANDY-_-KILLER
Go to solution Solved by LukeTim,

Go with the LG. Web OS 2.0 is generally considered the best Smart TV Platform out there.

Android TV is slow and laggy and the user interface is cluttered and overly complicated. Do not get the Sony.

Plus the LG is 4K. People think 4K is pointless for various stupid reasons... but one reason it is absolutely not pointless is the HDR technologies that are coming about in 4K TVs. The ITU standards for 4K broadcasts includes higher (10-bit) bitdepth video which means there is a lot finer grained control over luminance and chrominance. Content for this is already here, Ultra HD Blu Ray supports this. The LG TV also has the Ultra Luminance technology, which basically means the screen has a brightness of around 1000 nits, instead of the usual 300 or so. Looks much more lifelike, since on a bright day the sunshine might be 15,000 nits.

Of course there is also the added resolution. You can see the difference. There is extra detail in the image that simply is not there in a 1080p video. Plus, 4K content tends to be encoded at much higher bitrates (particularly on Ultra HD Blu Ray which is just insane at 128Mbps) and with a more efficient coding standard, so the image quality is far superior.

Hello Techies,

I am planning to  buy a SMART TV.

After a lot of research online and offline in showrooms, according to my budget I have come to two great TV's at last.

But now I'm fully confused on which one to buy. Location INDIA.

The two TV's I'm stuck with are 

1. SONY 43 W950D -  http://www.sony.co.in/electronics/televisions/w950d-series  75,000 INR
  2. LG 43 UF770T    -   http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-43UF770T   75,000 INR

Both have certain advantages and certain disadvantages, and mainly the above mentioned SONY is 1080p 3D Android TV and LG is 4K non-3D TV.

Considering performance and service and features can you suggest which one to buy please.

2 minutes ago, SANDY-_-KILLER said:

Hello Techies,

I am planning to  buy a SMART TV.

After a lot of research online and offline in showrooms, according to my budget I have come to two great TV's at last.

But now I'm fully confused on which one to buy. Location INDIA.

The two TV's I'm stuck with are 

1. SONY 43 W950D -  http://www.sony.co.in/electronics/televisions/w950d-series  75,000 INR
  2. LG 43 UF770T    -   http://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-43UF770T   75,000 INR

Both have certain advantages and certain disadvantages, and mainly the above mentioned SONY is 1080p 3D Android TV and LG is 4K non-3D TV.

Considering performance and service and features can you suggest which one to buy please.

Personally i dont prefer 3D tvs because its not common that you can find 3D movies or videos. so if its 4K but not 3D i'd 100% go for the 4K tv. but it depends on your needs and wants.android tv's arent much anyways because for about 150 dollars you can get a pc on a stick which would work way better than any smart tv. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

1 minute ago, another random person said:

Personally i dont prefer 3D tvs because its not common that you can find 3D movies or videos. so if its 4K but not 3D i'd 100% go for the 4K tv. but it depends on your needs and wants.android tv's arent much anyways because for about 150 dollars you can get a pc on a stick which would work way better than any smart tv. 

3D is not my buying criteria but its just a additional option available in that model.

I would go with the LG simply because it is 4K. Depending on your needs you may or may not need 3D. I personally like the design of the LG better as well.

Just now, snortings said:

I would go with the LG simply because it is 4K. Depending on your needs you may or may not need 3D. I personally like the design of the LG better as well.

But i like Sony design and looks and display and OS over LG.

But in all showrooms everyone is suggesting LG.

Just now, SANDY-_-KILLER said:

But i like Sony design and looks and display and OS over LG.

But in all showrooms everyone is suggesting LG.

Yeah everyone has their own opinions. If you like the design, looks and display of the Sony, then by all means get it.

It really comes down to personal preference to what you want (such as resolution and features), and what you need.

I need a smart tv which can operate smoothly and it should be beautiful in looks and display too and feature rich,

But in LG WebOS 2.0 is kinda boring compared to Sony's android OS.

Yeah everyone has their own opinions. If you like the design, looks and display of the Sony, then by all means get it.

It really comes down to personal preference to what you want (such as resolution and features), and what you need.

yeah basically comes down to that, but hey u arent gonna look at a blank tv and marvel at how good it looks, ur gonna look at the display that comes with that tv. still, personal preference (i recommend the 4K tv)

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Just now, another random person said:

yeah basically comes down to that, but hey u arent gonna look at a blank tv and marvel at how good it looks, ur gonna look at the display that comes with that tv. still, personal preference (i recommend the 4K tv)

Anyone used LG smart TV with WEBOS ??

Need some experience review.

1 minute ago, SANDY-_-KILLER said:

I need a smart tv which can operate smoothly and it should be beautiful in looks and display too and feature rich,

But in LG WebOS 2.0 is kinda boring compared to Sony's android OS.

As I stated, it comes down to personal preference. If you prefer the features and looks of the Sony over the LG then you should get it. 

I'm sure there would be plenty of reviews on YouTube.

As I stated, it comes down to personal preference. If you prefer the features and looks of the Sony over the LG then you should get it. 

Only thing i'm worried is like will the android TV gets slow after some months of usage.

Only thing i'm worried is like will the android TV gets slow after some months of usage.

It shouldn't, but if it starts to operate to the point where you can no longer use it, take it back to the place where you purchased it. I'm sure they could help you.

3 minutes ago, SANDY-_-KILLER said:

i have seen it being used and i have read heaps of reviews about it so id personally recommend the webos 2.0 because i have used android tv (it was slow at times) and it wasnt as good as i had hoped (i sold the android tv box to the next unlucky recipient)

Desktop

LAPTOP

3D was DOA and I seriously doubt you'll have UHD content to play anytime soon

also, UHD content can be played on 1080p just fine

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

3D was DOA and I seriously doubt you'll have UHD content to play anytime soon

also, UHD content can be played on 1080p just fine

Wats DOA ?

I didn't understand your suggestion.

1 minute ago, SANDY-_-KILLER said:

Wats DOA ?

I didn't understand your suggestion.

DOA - dead on arrival

there is no suggestion, it comes down to your own preferences and price, if you care about that

Just now, zMeul said:

DOA - dead on arrival

there is no suggestion, it comes down to your own preferences and price, if you care about that

Both the TV's I've shown are same price.

Thats why i'm asking you to just check the TV and tell which one is better than other.

Both the TV's I've shown are same price.

Thats why i'm asking you to just check the TV and tell which one is better than other.

I'd go with the SONY

both UHD and 3D are useless features

Go with the LG. Web OS 2.0 is generally considered the best Smart TV Platform out there.

Android TV is slow and laggy and the user interface is cluttered and overly complicated. Do not get the Sony.

Plus the LG is 4K. People think 4K is pointless for various stupid reasons... but one reason it is absolutely not pointless is the HDR technologies that are coming about in 4K TVs. The ITU standards for 4K broadcasts includes higher (10-bit) bitdepth video which means there is a lot finer grained control over luminance and chrominance. Content for this is already here, Ultra HD Blu Ray supports this. The LG TV also has the Ultra Luminance technology, which basically means the screen has a brightness of around 1000 nits, instead of the usual 300 or so. Looks much more lifelike, since on a bright day the sunshine might be 15,000 nits.

Of course there is also the added resolution. You can see the difference. There is extra detail in the image that simply is not there in a 1080p video. Plus, 4K content tends to be encoded at much higher bitrates (particularly on Ultra HD Blu Ray which is just insane at 128Mbps) and with a more efficient coding standard, so the image quality is far superior.

20 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

Can you tell me if I can install games like asphalt 8 or any android games in WebOS ?

4 minutes ago, SANDY-_-KILLER said:

Can you tell me if I can install games like asphalt 8 or any android games in WebOS ?

There are games but I believe they tend to be ports of older Android games from a few years ago.

The thing about Android though is you can always buy an external device like an Nvidia Shield TV if you want that functionality, and it'll have more power to run games too. For actually using your TV, the WebOS is a smoother, easier experience.

18 hours ago, LukeTim said:

There are games but I believe they tend to be ports of older Android games from a few years ago.

The thing about Android though is you can always buy an external device like an Nvidia Shield TV if you want that functionality, and it'll have more power to run games too. For actually using your TV, the WebOS is a smoother, easier experience.

Thank you so much @LukeTim .

I'll surely go with the LG 4K SMART TV.