Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

The first part is all up to you and what you think it is worth. 

The HD 800 show extremely well how good you DAC and amp is,  while the hd6x0 don't show it to the same degree, but they do improve well with higher end gear. 

You shouldn't buy a DAC and amp for lower end gear if you don't have noise on your onboard, because you would see a bigger improvement with a better headphone. There are Ofc somr exceptions to this,  but generally headphones before DAC and amp. 

There's also a NuForce UDAC 5 going in massdrop right now. Are those fine?

alot of new stuff are on massdrop audiophile section now.. Do check it out to whoever's reading this :)

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

9 hours ago, applesuxD said:

There's also a NuForce UDAC 5 going in massdrop right now. Are those fine?

alot of new stuff are on massdrop audiophile section now.. Do check it out to whoever's reading this :)

It seems to use a ESS SABRE DAC chip, which worries me a bit,  since DACs with those in typically have some treble glare (some harshness) to them and it is less powerful than a fulla 2. Just from the quick sum ups I have read and the specs of it,  then it wouldn't be able  to go on my list and therefor I can't recommend it, but Ofc I would have to try it to be certain. 

Sadly massdrop isn't really a thing that I can use, because of the very low boarder for what I can import for without getting a VAT bill and so on. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up but the Mayflower Arc and Audio-GD R2R-11 are both new and worth a mention.

14 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Just a heads up but the Mayflower Arc and Audio-GD R2R-11 are both new and worth a mention.

The Arc is not going on my list, one of my mates that I trust a lot have tested it and he said it was meh at best and looking through reviews and thoughts on, then I kinda get the same impression and it seems like they tuned it more for the gamer, with their DSP which adds bass. I would have to test it to be sure,  but for now it is not going on my list. 

If a lot of people want it,  then I might add a section where I list things I wouldn't recommend for their sound, but list them there because they might have a neat feature like the mic input of the arc.

The R2R NFB 11, is definitely in my scope for things I maybe want to add to the list. I haven't had too much time to really look into it, but I am looking into it and it might be added in a week or two depending on my time and if I can try one, but it is looking good so far. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

The dsp is optional, I don't use it.

I know, the amp quality and DAC quality just so far seem meh. So it won't get on my list.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I know, the amp quality and DAC quality just so far seem meh. So it won't get on my list.

If you get the opportunity to test it I strongly suggest you try it because that was not my experience at all.

And that is why I got the combo, not enough power to push the headphone. 

Good write up.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

20 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

If you get the opportunity to test it I strongly suggest you try it because that was not my experience at all.

I probably won't get the opportunity, so all I can do is trust my friend and then read all the thoughts about it. 

5 minutes ago, Foxxer said:

And that is why I got the combo, not enough power to push the headphone. 

Good write up.

Well thank you 

Hows the ifi Micro iDAC in comparison to magni 3 modi 2 combo? 

There's one selling for like 250 SGD. 

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

32 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Hows the ifi Micro iDAC in comparison to magni 3 modi 2 combo? 

There's one selling for like 250 SGD. 

I haven't had much time with the micro iDAC, but I remember that it didn't impress me.  If you want the portable aspect then sure, but for desktop purely  then I would rather get the stack, it has more power and from memory a tad more detail. TBH the only ifi product I have been impressed with is the black label, but that was mainly because it had so much power in such a small body and it had a battery so you could use it on the go. 

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I haven't had much time with the micro iDAC, but I remember that it didn't impress me.  If you want the portable aspect then sure, but for desktop purely  then I would rather get the stack, it has more power and from memory a tad more detail. TBH the only ifi product I have been impressed with is the black label, but that was mainly because it had so much power in such a small body and it had a battery so you could use it on the go. 

The ifi looks hella big for a portable though

4 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

The ifi looks hella big for a portable though

They kinda are, but I think that they were designed with a portable setup in mind, where it doesn't matter that much.

Is Fiio E10K a good budget DAC/AMP for PC? I am gonna run Superlux HD668B and probably something better if I decide to upgrade down the road.

9 hours ago, Emzijs said:

Is Fiio E10K a good budget DAC/AMP for PC? I am gonna run Superlux HD668B and probably something better if I decide to upgrade down the road.

No, it has a low detail level, narrow sound and is weak, and it has gimmicks like bass boost. I wouldn't say that it would be smart to buy anything for HD668B since you could have put the money from the DAC and amp into better headphones and seen a bigger improvement. The lowest to go with a DAC and amp is really the fulla 2 or monoprice desktop amp (it has a DAC on it despite the name)

Hey guys quick question.

I'm interested in buying the beyerdynamic 770 80ohm for my PC, home use and gaming.

However I dont have money for an amp as well...

Will my Asus b350 prime plus be enough to power them sufficiently or should I look for something else? 

Thank you 

14 hours ago, GeoStam said:

Hey guys quick question.

I'm interested in buying the beyerdynamic 770 80ohm for my PC, home use and gaming.

Will my Asus b350 prime plus be enough to power them sufficiently or should I look for something else? 

Thank you 

I cannot tell you that with certainty. I know that all the phones I have had could power dt770 80 ohm and looking at the specs of your mobo, then I would say that it probably can, but I am not sure and I won't take any blame if it can't. 

On 31/10/2017 at 12:25 AM, GeoStam said:

Hey guys quick question.

Thank you 

It should be fine.

IMHO a great alternative is the custom one pros. They have similar sound signatures. 

[Edit]

Bifrost & lyr 2 combo(used but in super good condition) 650SGD or 480USD

Or

do count shipping for the new ones

Magni 3 & modi 2 uber combo (new) (400SGD) or 300 USD 

Or magni 2 uber & modi 2 uber combo (new) 400SGD or 300 USD

Reason im considering lyr 2 is that i might try rolling tubes soon but probably not immediately. Im pretty set with the Aeons for a very very very long term.

Only thing i wanna know is how much warmer the lyr 2 is compared to magni 3 and magni 2 uber? 

Also, just a personal thing but if the amp has hiss then it's a dealbreaker. I read online at headfi(yeap headfi,hence im asking to verify here :> ) that the magni 2 has hiss???? And the magni 2 uber solves that??? 

Spoiler

Edited by applesuxD
The seller just notified me sooooooo

3 hours ago, applesuxD said:

[Edit]

Bifrost & lyr 2 combo(used but in super good condition) 650SGD or 480USD

Or

do count shipping for the new ones

Magni 3 & modi 2 uber combo (new) (400SGD) or 300 USD 

Or magni 2 uber & modi 2 uber combo (new) 400SGD or 300 USD

Reason im considering lyr 2 is that i might try rolling tubes soon but probably not immediately. Im pretty set with the Aeons for a very very very long term.

Only thing i wanna know is how much warmer the lyr 2 is compared to magni 3 and magni 2 uber? 

Also, just a personal thing but if the amp has hiss then it's a dealbreaker. I read online at headfi(yeap headfi,hence im asking to verify here :> ) that the magni 2 has hiss???? And the magni 2 uber solves that??? 

Reveal hidden contents

I personally think the bifrost is shit, I really hate how it sounds and I think it doesn't offer much detail. The Lyr 2 is pretty good for its price.

I know that the magni 2 could have a bit hiss, but I haven't heard a magni 2 uber have it. They are different both in power and how they sound, the mangi 2 uber is more analytical and lean.

The warmth thing really depends on what tube you put in the lyr 2, it can go from a bit warmer to a lot warmer, the stock tubes aren't really that warm sounding, but I would still say a good 15% warmer than a magni 2u and maybe a good 10% warmer than a magni 3, but that is from memory, so take that with a grain of salt.

What you should pick is really up to you.

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I personally think the bifrost is shit, I really hate how it sounds and I think it doesn't offer much detail. The Lyr 2 is pretty good for its price.

I know that the magni 2 could have a bit hiss, but I haven't heard a magni 2 uber have it. They are different both in power and how they sound, the mangi 2 uber is more analytical and lean.

The warmth thing really depends on what tube you put in the lyr 2, it can go from a bit warmer to a lot warmer, the stock tubes aren't really that warm sounding, but I would still say a good 15% warmer than a magni 2u and maybe a good 10% warmer than a magni 3, but that is from memory, so take that with a grain of salt.

What you should pick is really up to you.

Ok, i read up that the lyr is a hybrid? So i assume that I can have no tubes at all? And how would that sound?

More analytical and lean -> less soundstage? (excuse my lack of vocabs again :'3)

[Edit] The LISST tube is the one that makes it "solid state" 0_0

It's still 5% warmer then?

Alrightyyyyy. I'll give the lyrs a listen at the person's place and settle with that if not settle with the ubers cos i just hate hiss. I'm that guy xD

Thanks! Awesome thread :o

28 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

Ok, i read up that the lyr is a hybrid? So i assume that I can have no tubes at all? And how would that sound?

More analytical and lean -> less soundstage? (excuse my lack of vocabs again :'3)

[Edit] The LISST tube is the one that makes it "solid state" 0_0

It's still 5% warmer then?

Alrightyyyyy. I'll give the lyrs a listen at the person's place and settle with that if not settle with the ubers cos i just hate hiss. I'm that guy xD

Thanks! Awesome thread :o

No more analytical and lean does not mean smaller soundstage. The LISST tubes pretty much makes it like any normal solid state amp, but among the ones that lean a bit warm. 

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

No more analytical and lean does not mean smaller soundstage. The LISST tubes pretty much makes it like any normal solid state amp, but among the ones that lean a bit warm. 

Hmm ok, lean is abit hard to understand :P

How does the Jotunheims compare to the uber stacks?

Or even vali 2?

I swear, we need just a thread for the sake of comparing schiit products LOL