Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Dackzy

Was this thread helpful?  

473 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

As I also said: today most motherboards have transparent sound and a dac job is to make the sound transparent and the amps job is to well amp the signal the dac sends out.

Oh okay, so getting something aftermarket will make no difference to the quality of the sound. But I would like to hear what youd recommend for amp/dac combos.

3 minutes ago, Chairstorm said:

Oh okay, so getting something aftermarket will make no difference to the quality of the sound. But I would like to hear what youd recommend for amp/dac combos.

Just look at the bottom and you will see everything I recommend

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The first post of course :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Chairstorm said:

Super simple breakdown:
Dac = Gets rid of artifacts in audio. If you have none... this does nothing. Also if you get a dac you will need to get an amp.
Amp = Makes sound louder. If your sound can go above what you are comfortable listening to without one... it just means it can go even louder now and you wouldn't use your headphones at that volume anyways. Also provides more power so headphones with a high impedance will require an amp to get a better signal. If possible avoid headphones that need an amp to do their job.

23 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Super simple breakdown:
Dac = Gets rid of artifacts in audio. If you have none... this does nothing. Also if you get a dac you will need to get an amp.
Amp = Makes sound louder. If your sound can go above what you are comfortable listening to without one... it just means it can go even louder now and you wouldn't use your headphones at that volume anyways. Also provides more power so headphones with a high impedance will require an amp to get a better signal. If possible avoid headphones that need an amp to do their job.

Yeah, but high impedence doesnt necicarily mean that,  sensitivity is more important.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 hours ago, spwath said:

Yeah, but high impedence doesnt necicarily mean that,  sensitivity is more important.

like I wrote in my post.

So the quality of sound is only ever affected by the headphones? the amp and dac do nothing to the headphones? Wow I thought that it would improve the way things sounded, like being able to hear more detail and improve the different things like bass and mids and such.

2 minutes ago, Chairstorm said:

So the quality of sound is only ever affected by the headphones? the amp and dac do nothing to the headphones? Wow I thought that it would improve the way things sounded, like being able to hear more detail and improve the different things like bass and mids and such.

Tube amps can help some headphones to get better sound by extending the bass and smoothen the over all sound a bit out, but there is a lot of headphones that doesn't like tube amps and they have a long burn in time before they will have the same sound all the time. Well the sound quality can change if you have one of the things I have mentioned wrong with your board, but if you have a motherboard that is 6 years or less old, with no audio problem a dac and amp is a waste.

Alright, thanks! I was about to drop some money on something I didn't need then. What will objectively improve the sound coming to my headphone from my computer then? a new sound card or something like that?

12 minutes ago, Chairstorm said:

Alright, thanks! I was about to drop some money on something I didn't need then. What will objectively improve the sound coming to my headphone from my computer then? a new sound card or something like that?

if you don't have any of the things I have listed, then you won't notice a difference and I would never recommend going for a sound card over an amp dac combo if you can.

nice post.

i would like to add something here as well. people really need to know the difference between better audio experience and "meh" kinda audio experience.

its all about how well you get your experience. IM NOT saying one should invest everything they have in audio gear, but when you buy a nice pair of headphones you should do should research and look for best source to power your phones WITHIN YOUR BUDGET!

and to have a better audio experience is not too expensive as some people here say in audio section. the funny thing is I see many people who have fancy headphones and fancy audio gear but they say they cant feel difference between them and mobo audio, thats either hypocritical or just medical issue

again pls dont take my comment in the wrong way, im not saying putting too much money (when you are on a budget) will make your ear dance, but its also not THAT expensive to get proper eargasm with good research and going for best combination for your headphones. (in simpler terms, dont buy $200 amp/dac to run your earpods for skype)

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

8 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

and to have a better audio experience is not too expensive as some people here say in audio section. the funny thing is I see many people who have fancy headphones and fancy audio gear but they say they cant feel difference between them and mobo audio, thats either hypocritical or just medical issue

If your motherboard has transparent sound and you get a dac and amp that is also transparrent then they should sound the same. Some headphones like the HE 400i and He 560 just wants all the power they can get and they will sound a little better if you give them more power, but this situation is really rare.To be 100% honest if I didn't get my O2 ODAC combo for 120€ I would just have gotten a amp. The thing you are refering to is most likly because people dont know what transparent sound sounds like and therefore they will notice a upgrade when they get a dac and amp.

18 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

If your motherboard has transparent sound and you get a dac and amp that is also transparrent then they should sound the same. Some headphones like the HE 400i and He 560 just wants all the power they can get and they will sound a little better if you give them more power, but this situation is really rare.To be 100% honest if I didn't get my O2 ODAC combo for 120€ I would just have gotten a amp. The thing you are refering to is most likly because people dont know what transparent sound sounds like and therefore they will notice a upgrade when they get a dac and amp.

you are right, and im also adding to that as well. 

audio being transparent is not just one aspect of powering some decent headphones. as you have pointed out, Planars, usually tend to perform better with more power, and so do some of the top tier dynamic cans. 

and i also got O2 ODAC combo from JDS Labs, and the reason of its existence is to provide the most clean, uncolored sound with more than enough oomph for most of the headphones in the market. especially for the people who are on a budget. 

my point here was, that i have literally seen people power their HD 650 with onboard audio where they have to crank volume to max and they are not satisfied with their audio, not knowing that they can get many times better audio if they invest just a little in good amp.

im just recommending people to get the proper combo for their headphones. u can never expect to run say, HE560, from motherboard and listen to them with their full potential. you WILL need a proper source to power them, do go for extreme, but dont power them from ur onboard audio. 

investing a little in good amp would benefit you in long term.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

33 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

you are right, and im also adding to that as well. 

audio being transparent is not just one aspect of powering some decent headphones. as you have pointed out, Planars, usually tend to perform better with more power, and so do some of the top tier dynamic cans. 

and i also got O2 ODAC combo from JDS Labs, and the reason of its existence is to provide the most clean, uncolored sound with more than enough oomph for most of the headphones in the market. especially for the people who are on a budget. 

my point here was, that i have literally seen people power their HD 650 with onboard audio where they have to crank volume to max and they are not satisfied with their audio, not knowing that they can get many times better audio if they invest just a little in good amp.

im just recommending people to get the proper combo for their headphones. u can never expect to run say, HE560, from motherboard and listen to them with their full potential. you WILL need a proper source to power them, do go for extreme, but dont power them from ur onboard audio. 

investing a little in good amp would benefit you in long term.

As I said if you cant power your headphones probably you should get a amp and motherboards like the Asus Formula line up has really good amps on them so they can power HD 600 and HD 650 (I have tried it on my formula VI). Most people wont need a amp other than the one they have one their onboard and I would not recomend as you can see an amp under 100$ since then you get into what motherboards have.

1 minute ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Oh lord.

I know right xD 

I have a question, I want to hook up my Audioengine A5+ to a DAC. My friend is willing to sell me a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for cheap and was wondering if it would make a good DAC for my A5+, or would I have better results by getting let say a Schiit Modi 2 or a Audioengine D1. Can the DAC on the Scarlett Solo compare to the DAC's from the Schiit, and Audioengine? 

7 minutes ago, DennyBoy said:

I have a question, I want to hook up my Audioengine A5+ to a DAC. My friend is willing to sell me a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for cheap and was wondering if it would make a good DAC for my A5+, or would I have better results by getting let say a Schiit Modi 2 or a Audioengine D1. Can the DAC on the Scarlett Solo compare to the DAC's from the Schiit, and Audioengine? 

Or you could save money and just not buy a DAC.  If you don't have noise problems, don't get one.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

Or you could save money and just not buy a DAC.  If you don't have noise problems, don't get one.

Getting a DAC wont increase my audio quality to much? Besides that, does the Scarlett Solo make for a good DAC? It also has a headphone jack as a bonus too + mic inputs if i decide to get a nicer mic down the road. Like how does it compare to the Schiit Modi 2 and D1?

1 hour ago, DennyBoy said:

Getting a DAC wont increase my audio quality to much? Besides that, does the Scarlett Solo make for a good DAC? It also has a headphone jack as a bonus too + mic inputs if i decide to get a nicer mic down the road. Like how does it compare to the Schiit Modi 2 and D1?

Theres this misconception that DACs at entry-level price points increase quality.  They don't, similar DACs are found on your onboard.  Since you like the connectivity of the Scarlett so much, I can't convince you to not buy it.  The Modi is just a DAC, and the D1 isn't exactly the best value for money.

Are you producing content? If you are then for sure get the Scarlett, but if you aren't, just stick to USB mics and get a headphone amp that has line-level outs for your A5+.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 hour ago, Pomfinator said:

Theres this misconception that DACs at entry-level price points increase quality.  They don't, similar DACs are found on your onboard.  Since you like the connectivity of the Scarlett so much, I can't convince you to not buy it.  The Modi is just a DAC, and the D1 isn't exactly the best value for money.

Are you producing content? If you are then for sure get the Scarlett, but if you aren't, just stick to USB mics and get a headphone amp that has line-level outs for your A5+.

Thanks for taking this :)

I wont bite if you ask stupid questions because there are none.

Or will I?

On 3/14/2016 at 6:26 AM, Dackzy said:

As I said if you cant power your headphones probably you should get a amp and motherboards like the Asus Formula line up has really good amps on them so they can power HD 600 and HD 650 (I have tried it on my formula VI). Most people wont need a amp other than the one they have one their onboard and I would not recomend as you can see an amp under 100$ since then you get into what motherboards have.

Jesus, how have you been able to trial such a large variety of headphones with your computer?! o.O

8 hours ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Jesus, how have you been able to trial such a large variety of headphones with your computer?! o.O

I know people who owns the headphones, one of my friends has 20+ headphones.