NAS, what do you guys think of this build?(passive cooling)

So, im planning on building a nas, and heard passive cooling was the way to go. Only gonna be transcoding for 1 person maybe 2 (rarely) . Here is the build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BpYQFT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BpYQFT/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Alpine M1 - Passive Fanless CPU Cooler  ($10.49 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock AM1H-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($50.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $389.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-02 15:07 EST-0500

Feedback would be great! Thanks.

really nice price per performance ! for the same price you get an WD hdd storage box with only 3 sata ports... but with this ! you can go faaar beyond and even more !

Just now, OveratedCPU said:

really nice price per performance ! for the same price you get an WD hdd storage box with only 3 sata ports... but with this ! you can go faaar beyond and even more !

Thanks!

Since mechanical drives have moving parts, I've heard it's a good idea to have some airflow over them. Especially in a nas where the drives are so close together, I would imagine they would heat eachother lower the lifetime of the motor. Perhaps a super quiet fan just blowing over your drives is the way to go.

ASU

Just now, link955 said:

Thanks!

even cheaper than the premade nas stuff , really excellent research you have done ! :D id like to do one aswell but ... im saving up for my main rig to upgrade but send photos when finished in this board would like to see !

Just now, OveratedCPU said:

even cheaper than the premade nas stuff , really excellent research you have done ! :D id like to do one aswell but ... im saving up for my main rig to upgrade but send photos when finished in this board would like to see !

I will, Probably wont happen for a couple months, but i loving building stuff on pcpartpicker that i had to plan in advance.

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Since mechanical drives have moving parts, I've heard it's a good idea to have some airflow over them. Especially in a nas where the drives are so close together, I would imagine they would heat eachother lower the lifetime of the motor. Perhaps a super quiet fan just blowing over your drives is the way to go.

Thanks, that didn't really cross my mind. Probably will stick with 1 or 2  quiet fan in the case to have some airflow. 

I would say you should go with 4tb drives in a RAID 1 other than that you might want to look into more about passive cooling for that cpu and cooler combo. Such as TDP for the cpu and max dissipation for the cooler. Also the cooler might be passive but it might be expected that you have case airflow.

1 minute ago, KirbyTech said:

I would say you should go with 4tb drives in a RAID 1 other than that you might want to look into more about passive cooling for that cpu and cooler combo. Such as TDP for the cpu and max dissipation for the cooler. Also the cooler might be passive but it might be expected that you have case airflow.

the case was always gonna have airflow but a 1 or 2 more fans would defiantly help out the passive cooling. Thanks man. Also i will look into the 4tb hdd. (using smaller ones cuz cheaper and i can use up to 6 hdd in my case for a total of 12tb,)

Just now, link955 said:

the case was always gonna have airflow but a 1 or 2 more fans would defiantly help out the passive cooling. Thanks man. Also i will look into the 4tb hdd. (using smaller ones cuz cheaper and i can use up to 6 hdd in my case for a total of 12tb,)

Your best bang for your buck is 3tb drives in the proce per GB next best is 4tb drives so if you want cheap that is the way to go not 2tb drives.

13 minutes ago, KirbyTech said:

Your best bang for your buck is 3tb drives in the proce per GB next best is 4tb drives so if you want cheap that is the way to go not 2tb drives.

Which drives would you recommend? I saw this one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-7200RPM-Heavy-Duty-3-5-inch-Internal/dp/B00WYND26K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456950783&sr=8-3&keywords=3tb+nas+hard+drive  It says "heavy duty" and then NAS, so does that mean its rated for 24/7 use? or am i better off just getting some reds?

Just now, link955 said:

Which drives would you recommend? I saw this one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-7200RPM-Heavy-Duty-3-5-inch-Internal/dp/B00WYND26K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456950783&sr=8-3&keywords=3tb+nas+hard+drive  It says "heavy duty" and then NAS, so does that mean its rated for 24/7 use? or am i better off just getting some reds?

Go with either Red PRO (if more than 4 drive otherwise just normal reds) or Seagate enterprise drives are a great option too. I am doing a massive build out with the enterprise drives.

With some case airflow the CPU will be cooled well. But as already mentioned the drives are much more sensitive to heat than the CPU. Also they will use more power than the CPU.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil