Tablet for media Consumption plus Productivity?

So, I've had my Nexus 7 for around 9 months now, and during that time I've thoroughly enjoyed it. It's brilliant for playing games, watching movies, reading the news or catching up on YouTube. I have recently started attending college however, and that's when I noticed it's limitations...

The 7 inch screen just isn't big enough for productivity purposes. Typing up and editing documents on it became more of a burden than bliss. I'm now selling it and wanting to replace it with a larger tablet, preferably 10 inches give or take.  

My first thought is an ipad 4. there's nothing you can go wrong with getting one, I already use iTunes for movies, music and tv shows and I know my way around the O.S. from using my brother's iPad mini. Productivity apps (word processors for example) seem to be in no short supply, with some very good options out there. 

Secondly I've been looking at the newly released Asus Transformer Pad TF701T. It's an android tablet with keyboard dock (which would be a dream compared to using the touch interface of a tablet. I tend to type much faster on a physical keyboard than I do a virtual one. Specs: Quad core Tegra 4 @ 1.9GHz w/ 72 core GPU. 2GB RAM, 17hr battery life. usb 3.0 port, plus many more features. 

(I'd have to wait a while for stock to hit the etailers for this one though.) http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF701T/#overview

Finally, the new Asus Transformer Book Trio. In tablet mode it runs android on an intel atom processor. In notebook mode it can be either android or fully-fledged windows 8.  http://www.zdnet.com/asus-bridges-android-and-windows-8-with-new-transformer-book-trio-7000020585/

Price isn't too much of a concern, but any other suggestions are welcome. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

As someone who is currently in university and has been using an ASUS ePad Transformer TF101 as a laptop replacement (my laptop called it quits last year), I'd have to say go with the Transformer Book. IMO the difference between an aftermarket wireless keyboard device and a dedicated keyboard dock + battery pack is night and day. As for the able itself, the battery life alone makes it worthwhile for a post-secondary student to look into (I go through a full days lectures, notes, media consumption four days a week with a full charge at night; 16 hours is more than enough). My only gripe is the processor that the TF101 comes with is showing its age, so thats one point you should prioritize (shouldnt be a problem with the above products being relatively new).

Not everyone has the money for a new laptop / ultrabook. If you can find one for a decent price, go for it. My TF101 cost me $250, factory refurbished and was suitable for what I needed it for.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

If you want to do anything productive, a tablet isn't exactly the best way to go. Just get a regular laptop/ultrabook.

I still want a tablet for the reasons outlined above. Media consumption, and all the roles that used to be filled by my N7. I'm not talking about heavy multitasking, just editing and typing the occasional document, but mostly taking class notes. One of the things pulling me to android is that Nexus Media Importer now includes the ability to write to an external drive.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

As someone who is currently in university and has been using an ASUS ePad Transformer TF101 as a laptop replacement (my laptop called it quits last year), I'd have to say go with the Transformer Book. IMO the difference between an aftermarket wireless keyboard device and a dedicated keyboard dock + battery pack is night and day. As for the able itself, the battery life alone makes it worthwhile for a post-secondary student to look into (I go through a full days lectures, notes, media consumption four days a week with a full charge at night; 16 hours is more than enough). My only gripe is the processor that the TF101 comes with is showing its age, so thats one point you should prioritize (shouldnt be a problem with the above products being relatively new).

Not everyone has the money for a new laptop / ultrabook. If you can find one for a decent price, go for it. My TF101 cost me $250, factory refurbished and was suitable for what I needed it for.

Money is the main reason I was looking at the Transformer pad line. They're as small as an ultrabook for a fraction of the price. 

I have to say the only option I'd accept for a productivity device is the Galaxy Note 10.1. The S-Pen is no gimmick - it has been phenomenally useful for me during my time at College so far and has functioned as a highly versatile and capable digital notepad, sketchbook, organiser and overall productivity device. S-Note is very competent.

It also has sufficient battery life to last you throughout a full day of College or School whilst using it pretty much nonstop.

If you require something to type on it functions perfectly for that too when provided with a Bluetooth keyboard. Very little delay, no random connection issues or keys dropped on me yet - and again, the in-built applications such as S-Note and the others available through the Google PlayStore (such as Moleskine Journal and Papyrus) allow you to keep highly-organised and functional notes on countless different subjects or tasks.

It's the only option in my eyes for productivity.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I have to say the only option I'd accept for a productivity device is the Galaxy Note 10.1. The S-Pen is no gimmick - it has been phenomenally useful for me during my time at College so far and has functioned as a highly versatile and capable digital notepad, sketchbook, organiser and overall productivity device. S-Note is very competent.

It also has sufficient battery life to last you throughout a full day of College or School whilst using it pretty much nonstop.

If you require something to type on it functions perfectly for that too when provided with a Bluetooth keyboard. Very little delay, no random connection issues or keys dropped on me yet - and again, the in-built applications such as S-Note and the others available through the Google PlayStore (such as Moleskine Journal and Papyrus) allow you to keep highly-organised and functional notes on countless different subjects or tasks.

It's the only option in my eyes for productivity.

Thank you for that. My friend actually uses one for College at the moment and speaks very highly of it. The Asus transformer line with the premium keyboard and long battery life are very attractive though.

Thank you for that. My friend actually uses one for College at the moment and speaks very highly of it. The Asus transformer line with the premium keyboard and long battery life are very attractive though.

Most welcome. :)

They do indeed look nice. But honestly, for productivity I'd still stick with the Note. The S-Pen has become something I find myself relying on almost every day.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Nexus 10, DAT PPI

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla