WD Red Drives - where to buy

LinusTech

You need to start adding links to Amazon ex. from UK. There are peeps from Europe too...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Yeah it's scheduled to be released later. Maybe we should figure out a way to hide these from the new posts feed or something.

Yeah it's scheduled to be released later. Maybe we should figure out a way to hide these from the new posts feed or something.

you need to link it to us, so it can be only seen from here.

You need to start adding links to Amazon ex. from UK. There are peeps from Europe too...

Yeah :3

Video-editor, tutorialist and gamer.
#killedmywife @LinusTech
-- Find me on: YouTube | Facebook

I am running a Samsung 830 SSD 256GB (60GB/188GB partitions) for my OS and for often used games and applications like after effects and currently BF3.

On top of that I have a Samsung SpinPoint F3 for mass storage (games, applications, some documents and pictures, recording BF3 with Fraps)

And just to do Samsung another favour ^^ I have an external Samsung S2 Portable which was meant for mass storage in general but turned out to be used for downloads and recording some other games with fraps!

So basically one SSD for my OS and main apps and games... one internal HDD for general mass storage and one external HDD again for mass storage(that doesnt need to be that fast accesable as the stuff on the internal one)

I got only a 1Tb HDD Hitachi in my computer witch i can't stand listening the noise from it because i couldn't afford to buy an expencive and great preforming WD.

And on my older PC i have 80Gb WD Blue witch runs as good as new after 8 years...

I got 2 HDD, which i use for dual booting Mountain Lion and Windows 7/8 (i said 7 or 8 because i been running 8 for about 2 weeks but i am a huge windows 7 fan and have been using it since it came out switched from Windows XP to 7 b/c i did not like vista). Anyway here is how i currently have them configured.

1. A SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ 320GB (2 partitions) partition 1 (110GB) for Mountain Lion (used for storage and apps) and partition 2 (200GB) where i store project files, video renders, screen captures from camtasia or most of the time fraps and other file that i share b/n Windows and Mountain Lion.

2. Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB single partition with Windows 8. I use this HDD for apps, games, entertainment (music videos and audios), personal pictures and video, school documents and project files, tutorials, etc.

Incase you have not figured it out by now their is no raiding of any kind.

In addition to the 2 intenal HDD i have a WD My Passport 1TB USB 3.0 Black Portable Hard Drive for storage and when i want to take files with me to school or a friends house.

Why do i not have an SSD?

The answer is simple i can not aford them. SSDs cost a lot more in Ethiopia on account they are not easily found. They cost up to 60-50% more than what you would pay in US or canada.

Whay do i have 2x320GB HDD instead of a single 1TB or somethig along those lines?

Well i first had only the single WD 320 GB but i got the Samsung HDD from a friend when he changed HDD because WD only was not enough for strorage, windows, mac and apps.

Do i have a backup HDD?

No. And the reason is i just don't have storage capacity. I tried using the WD as a backup HD and the samsung as a boot drive for a while but i needed the additional storage of the samsung HD. Dual booting win 7 and Mac off of a single drive leaves me no storage to store edited video and original video after instlling apps and games even if i have no other files

My rig components consist of 1TB solid stage hybrid 2.5 internal drive, 3TB Western Digital Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, AMD Radeon 6870 and i7 3770k. My operating system is stationed in my 1TB hybrid. I didn't choose a solid state drive because of how expensive they are. I choose capacity over speed. If I were ever to get a SSD, it'll have to be 500GB and up, thus are most costly. So I have to postpone. This is just a temporary setup. I might just get a 10000rpm 1TB or a real SSD for my OS drive. Preparing to clone drives in the future. I choose the hybrid drive to try something new. At the time it looked very interesting. Now that I think about it... It was you Linus who encouraged me to buy it. You did a review on it! As you see, my current setup is sacrificing speed for more capacity. Which is perfectly fine with me, but without a doubt welcoming speed. So a new drive is always welcomed, hence I have a full tower. I use the 3TB for my gaming collection, 2TB for video & software collection and 1TB for OS, pending items, pictures and everything else. 

I have a Synology DS1512 with 4TB WD Reds currently.  The most important things for me are reliability, power efficiency, and low noise.  I do not run in a raid config, but mirror volume images to the cloud each night.  I've been very pleased with the Reds so far and plan to use them in the future.  Right now, the NAS is backing up 3 computers and it serving the household's media needs.  I don't why NAS hasn't quite caught on with the masses, its value is enormous in our household.

I use an intel 330 120GB SSD as an boot drive because I want the speed for the OS and some software.I use a WD cadiar blue as the backup hard drive for keeping other documents,videos and some less played games.I got another 2.5" HDD I taken out from my old laptop and use that use for keeping downloaded files and use that for my WAMP server.

I am using a smasung 128 gb ssd boot drive from 2010 that I tore out of my dad's old work laptop because it was free and a 2 tb drive I tore out of an external hard drive because it was free! By the way they are both really slow on the brink of crashing the hard drive is all ready broken and has a scratch or something....