Personal Rig Update 2015 Part 5 - The Final Deployment

Linus (or anyone that knows), what are the Thunderbolt cards you used? Asus Thunderbolt EX II? I need those but Asus told me they are no longer being produced!

15 minutes ago, EdzioEditore said:

Linus (or anyone that knows), what are the Thunderbolt cards you used? Asus Thunderbolt EX II? I need those but Asus told me they are no longer being produced!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-ThunderboltEX-II-DUAL-PCI-e-2-Port-Thunderbolt2-2-Ports-DisplayPort-IN-/131696568675?hash=item1ea9ba2963:g:NEQAAOSwFqJWkOSY

CPU I7 8700k oc'd @ 5ghz Motherboard ASUS Z370 E RAM G.Skill Trident RGB 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mh GPU EVGA GTX 980ti SSC

Well, I enjoyed it, and the optics is not such a bad idea,,, might hide my next rig somewhere quiet!

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

1 minute ago, L00bs4n00bs said:

While i appreciate your help, i've found those, ebay, amazon, etc, but i need / have to buy then from a retailer, i work with IT so building a rig and selling it with parts that come from a ebay website is kinda iffy for me...

2 minutes ago, EdzioEditore said:

While i appreciate your help, i've found those, ebay, amazon, etc, but i need / have to buy then from a retailer, i work with IT so building a rig and selling it with parts that come from a ebay website is kinda iffy for me...

sorry it was the scan ebay shop, im a bit of an ebay feind

scan are a very big and legit retailer

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-thunderboltex-ii-dual-pci-e-2-port-thunderbolt2-2-ports-displayport-in

CPU I7 8700k oc'd @ 5ghz Motherboard ASUS Z370 E RAM G.Skill Trident RGB 16gb (2x8) ddr4 3000mh GPU EVGA GTX 980ti SSC

So is he going to get a Louver Door for that closet or is he going to go Full Linus, get a circular saw, a bunch of clamps and 2by4s for a fence system and plunge cut slots himself?

3 minutes ago, L00bs4n00bs said:

sorry it was the scan ebay shop, im a bit of an ebay feind

scan are a very big and legit retailer

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-thunderboltex-ii-dual-pci-e-2-port-thunderbolt2-2-ports-displayport-in

As a warning for that, looking into it you need to have a thunderbolt motherboard port (Im assuming the expansion card must then literally just be a hub? Not sure what travels through the pci side of things?) And they only specifically identify compatability with certain ASUS boards.

Thought this would be the way to go but im back on the hunt for a solution that works with the tech in my old rig to 'stream' across the house.

I have to be honest I liked the look of Linus' wife's PC more. I wish he didn't cover it up. 

Also, he needs to complete that set up with a rack mountable switch!

I'm actually pretty interested in exactly what server rack he chose to go with. It's not mentioned in any of the build guides, and perhaps it is nothing special to those who work with server hardware regularly, but it was interesting to me, as I almost always see the much taller and more imposing server racks when featured in build guides.

This is exactly the kind of home PC build though that I hope can become more standard as things move forward. Imagine putting this in the basement of a home where it gets some natural cooling and lives quietly next to the washing machine, while every room has a thunderbolt or equivalent drop in the wall so you can plug into the appropriate rig below, or into a VM via something like unRaid.

1 hour ago, b1uew01f said:

As a warning for that, looking into it you need to have a thunderbolt motherboard port (Im assuming the expansion card must then literally just be a hub? Not sure what travels through the pci side of things?) And they only specifically identify compatability with certain ASUS boards.

Thought this would be the way to go but im back on the hunt for a solution that works with the tech in my old rig to 'stream' across the house.

Its a strange solution for a very peculiar client.

He has a Asus Z97 and a Mac Screen that only takes Thunderbolt....so i have to have the thunderbolt pci to send the gpu signal to it and THEN send it to the screen...

Yes i know, there are better screens, and better options (a wide screen with HDMI or display port would do it, since the its a 780 Strix OC) but he wanted that Mac Screen....

What are the limitations of a setup like this? Can the thunderbolt connection handle 4K? How is the GPU outputting to a thunderbolt connection?

1 hour ago, CoryS said:

What are the limitations of a setup like this? Can the thunderbolt connection handle 4K? How is the GPU outputting to a thunderbolt connection?

The Thunderbolt port/cable can output anything it can receive over DisplayPort.  The Thunderbolt AIC has a port where you plug in the DP output from the GPU.  This is why there is that short cable that looks like it goes from one PCIe device to another on that back of Linus's rig.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

1 minute ago, RazrLeaf said:

The Thunderbolt port/cable can output anything it can receive over DisplayPort.  The Thunderbolt AIC has a port where you plug in the DP output from the GPU.  This is why there is that short cable that looks like it goes from one PCIe device to another on that back of Linus's rig.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Does that mean it is limited to one GPU accelerated monitor? 

38 minutes ago, CoryS said:

Ahh, that makes more sense. Does that mean it is limited to one GPU accelerated monitor? 

you can get multiplel port ones like this

What CPU cooler is in Yvonne's PC ? Looks kind of awesome, need that for my white build. 

First of all I really liked the video; but I am asking myself whether this constant background music is going to be a permanent thing, because I find it rather annoying and distracting from the actual content.

This might have been answered in a previous vid but I can't find it: what is the rack you're using?

Saw it and I was like... Didn't this happen 2 months ago? Only to remember it was not yet installed. :)

The setup was cool! The wires running through the table and them power bricks brought some cringes though. :P 

7 hours ago, 509Vince said:

LiftLinus.jpeg

I never realized how funny that looks until I see it like this... he could literally fit inside that enclosure :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Linus,

Have you thought about heat dissipation within the closet itself ?  Possibly cut in a return air vent as high as you can or have an electrician install a super quiet bathroom exhaust fan?

Can anyone tell me what monitor Linus is using at home? That thing looks like a beast!