Best Telephoto Lens For 70D

So I have a Canon 70D and a 18-55 lens I am an aviation enthusiast and I really need a new telephoto lens. Any suggestions? If you didn't know the 70D is EF-S mount. I would like 70-300 or 55-250. I would prefer 70-300 unless you think the difference from 55-250 and 70-300 is very small.

Can't really say for sure, check out some online reviews on websites like this to see what people have to say:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com

When I think of telephotos, I think about 70-200 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8.  Cheap telephotos like the ones you are considering are.. meh.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Both will do, though not for any great shots. If you're standing at an airport gate you'll be fine.

If you want more versatility, save for a 100-400mm. It's a lot of money I know, but it will really be worth it. Then if you keep saving you'll be able to get a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter to go with it and you'll be able to read the in-flight menu ;)

As always, tell us your budget first.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

14 hours ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

So I have a Canon 70D and a 18-55 lens I am an aviation enthusiast and I really need a new telephoto lens. Any suggestions? If you didn't know the 70D is EF-S mount. I would like 70-300 or 55-250. I would prefer 70-300 unless you think the difference from 55-250 and 70-300 is very small.

budget? there are canon telephotos that range from $100 up to $10,000. Since you have a nice body, i would aim for a lens like the canon 70-200 f4 or 2.8. just notice that you are going to be shooting planes. I would get something a bit longer reach. Something like the sigma contemporary 150-600 will work great for shooting planes and its not very expensive for a super telephoto of its class.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Whichever telephoto lens you buy, look for one with fast and accurate AF.  While airplanes do not move in somewhat unpredictable patterns like birds, they are still moving and if you are waiting and trying to compose the shot of the airplane while it is in front of a certain background, fast accurate AF is necessary.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer