Should I get a Fury X or a 980 Ti for 1080p gaming

Hi guys! Really need some input here. I have a 390x that I mainly use for 1080p gaming. I do not overclock (as I am scared to do so) and am looking to get a new card as the 390x just doesn't cut it. Along with my gpu, I have a fx 9590 cpu and 16gb of ram (you never know).

Now I'm looking to upgrade and can't decide between the GTX 980 Ti or the Fury X. One thing I noticed is that the Fury X has only 4gb of Vram and the 980 Ti has 6gb, my current gpu has 8gb. Would 4gb or 6gb even be enough? When I play rainbow six siege in the settings I have set everything to max and it says it is using more than 4gb so would the Fury X even comply? 

Anyways which card should I get and which brand should I buy it from (links would be appreciated)? And if I get a nvidia card, would it go good with my amd cpu? 

Well I would recommend a 980 ti for the more vram. 4gb should be enough, but 6gb would be better.

and an amd CPU and nvidia card should work fine. I'm not sure about SLI for that particular CPU though. You can look it up

980ti is just faster.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

First thing I would do is change out that CPU. Aim for a i5 and a H97. Should cost around $250-300.

If you're getting a 980Ti/Fury X, 1080p isn't really the suited resolution. Grab a R9 390 (can handle most games on Ultra at a solid 60FPS at 1080p) if your PSU can handle it, you might also want to upgrade it if it's a crap model. Should be around $300 (another $50 if you need to upgrade your PSU). So all in all, it should amount to $600-650, pretty much the price of the GTX 980Ti.

That's my advice. But to answer your question, the 980Ti wins. Wouldn't recommend it though with that CPU.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

What actually is stating the game is using more than 4GB of VRAM? The game itself or a program that monitors VRAM usage?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Why does a 390X not cut it for 1080p? Are you using a monitor that can do 120 or 144HZ ? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

1 minute ago, DavidGuba said:

Hi guys! Really need some input here. I have a 390x that I mainly for gaming. I do not overclock (as I am scared to do so) and am looking to get a new card as the 390x just doesn't cut it. Along with my gpu, I have a fx 9590 cpu by amd.

Now I'm looking to upgrade and can't decide between the GTX 980 Ti or the Fury X. One thing I noticed is that the Fury X has only 4gb of Vram and the 980 Ti has 6gb, my current gpu has 8gb. Would 4gb or 6gb even be enough? When I play rainbow six siege in the settings I have set everything to max and it says it is using more than 4gb so would the Fury X even comply? 

Anyways which card should I get and which brand should I buy it from? And if I get a nvidia card, would it go good with my amd cpu? 

AMD CPU + Nvidia GPU = no issues (the freedom of PC gaming)

And the 980ti (especially if you can get one with an aftermarket cooler) will be more powerful and definitely better suited for 1080p gaming. As you can see in this video: 

But a 650$ GPU for 1080p? Most of us would consider that insanely overkill. Personally i would wait, the next GPUs both from AMD and Nvidia will be releasing around summer times and if history repeats itself, the 1070 will be very close to the 980ti in performance for a lower price.

Yeah I was going to say a 390x should really be fine for 1080. . 
If you can afford a 980 TI, go for it. 

If you're going to keep your FX-9590, then I wouldn't suggest anything over a GTX 960, for fear of bottlenecking. If however, you are willing to upgrade your CPU to an Intel i5 or i7, then a GTX 980Ti is the best of the two cards you listed. Though both are more than fast enough for 1080p, unless you're attempting 144hz, where they'll find their best use.

24 minutes ago, DavidGuba said:

Hi guys! Really need some input here. I have a 390x that I mainly use for 1080p gaming. I do not overclock (as I am scared to do so) and am looking to get a new card as the 390x just doesn't cut it. Along with my gpu, I have a fx 9590 cpu and 16gb of ram (you never know).

Anyways which card should I get and which brand should I buy it from (links would be appreciated)? And if I get a nvidia card, would it go good with my amd cpu? 

for 1080p gaming?

i will tell you a secret though

dont compare the fury x and 980 ti

there is NOTHING on the market that competes with a 980 ti for gaming

not even a titan

not a quadro

nothing

19 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

980Ti, silent/quiet/cool/high overclocks.

Fury X is quieter and cooler than the majority of 980 Ti models.

390x doesn't cut it? then your CPU could be bottlenecking

you can't compare FuryX's 4GB VRAM vs 980ti's 6GB

980ti has GDDR5, Fury has HBM

4GB of HBM is more than enough even for 4K

but i still recommend 980ti because it's faster

or if you are looking at reference ones, then FuryX is better

4 hours ago, DavidGuba said:

There's a couple of things I have to ask. First I'm assuming since you're afraid to overclock your gfx card I'm assuming this means you're also running at stock speeds on your CPU. Then I have to say don't be afraid at overclocking at stock voltages. You can increase your speed without increasing temps or voltage without risking damaging your CPU. Why is this important? You can increase performance effectively for free. It won't be a massive overclock but anything really is better than nothing as long as you follow the steps up to the point of decreasing stability and then lowering the speed back down to the previous stable setting rather than going to the next step of bumping up the voltage.

Next, I would have to ask what settings you're using with regards to things like Ambient Occlusion(HBAO/SSAO) and Tesselation.these are settings which can dramatically impact performance with little benefit to the visuals or in the case of the level of tessellation actually make things look worse. Generally 16x tessellation is plenty. Certain games that Nvidia partnered with for optimization can set this absurdly high by default which is why AMD added the ability in Catalyst to change to AMD optimized settings or set them manually and actually override the application settings. Just go to the games profile in Catalyst under the "Gaming" tab set your Tesselation mode to Override Application settings and set your Maximum Tesselation level to x16. For example Crysis 2 notoriously did things where Tesselation did nothing but hurt performance by applying it to flat surfaces or by hiding Tesselated water from the nearby bay underneath the rest of the city that was still being rendered for no reason other than laziness.

I would argue that if you're gaming at 1080p your 390X is fully capable of doing this if you tweak your settings and that a better upgrade would be to buy a more powerful Intel CPU at higher stock speeds if you're absolutely unwilling to overclock rather than going and spending another $600+ on a graphics card right now especially with more powerful cards coming this year and the 390X not being that old of a card. Of course this means buying a new motherboard as well. I would go with an Intel Haswell 4790K for higher stock clocks and also so you can re-use your DDR3 RAM rather than having to also buy DDR4 by upgrading to Intel Skylake 6700K unless you're willing to pay that extra expense.

I would agree that your 390X is likely being bottlenecked by your AMD CPU and this will be guaranteed to be the case if you simply upgrade to a 980Ti or Fury X and the reason this is an issue is because you're paying extra for a card that you won't be able to take full advantage of because it's being neutered by your AMD CPU which is likely already happening to your 390X. If I had to say which card it more powerful it's the 980Ti, but again I would upgrade your CPU+Motherboard for better performance at 1080p before upgrading your Graphics card again.

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

First thing I would do is change out that CPU. Aim for a i5 and a H97. Should cost around $250-300.

If you're getting a 980Ti/Fury X, 1080p isn't really the suited resolution. Grab a R9 390 (can handle most games on Ultra at a solid 60FPS at 1080p) if your PSU can handle it, you might also want to upgrade it if it's a crap model. Should be around $300 (another $50 if you need to upgrade your PSU). So all in all, it should amount to $600-650, pretty much the price of the GTX 980Ti.

That's my advice. But to answer your question, the 980Ti wins. Wouldn't recommend it though with that CPU.

Wow so much bad info in one post. Unbelievable. He already has a 390x, read the post. Switching from AMD to intel would cost way more than 250-300. That's the cost of the CPU, with no cooler. That doesn't factor in motherboard cost. 

I've noticed in most benchmarks Nvidia does well in lower resolutions like 1080p and below for their top tier cards 970 and above while AMD does well 1440p and above on their top tier cards 390 and above, but the 980 Ti is a beast though at 4k. Most likely due to the large VRAM and memory bandwidth those AMD cards have even if the Maxwell architecture has delta compression technologies. I'd get a 980 Ti if I were you, especially EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI for great overclockability.

2 minutes ago, Psykomantis00 said:

Wow so much bad info in one post. Unbelievable. He already has a 390x, read the post. Switching from AMD to intel would cost way more than 250-300. That's the cost of the CPU, with no cooler. That doesn't factor in motherboard cost. 

My bad on the GPU part.

An i5 4460 and H97? About $170 and a $80 mobo equals to $250. Don't know why you're complaining about that.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

My bad on the GPU part.

An i5 4460 and H97? About $170 and a $80 mobo equals to $250. Don't know why you're complaining about that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117302&cm_re=4460-_-19-117-302-_-Product

If he upgrades to the latest intel platform there is no way he's beating that budget. Even if he goes 1150 he's still coming in above that budget. It's just a poor number. 

FX CPU + 980Ti for 1080p gaming... hmmm...

Try a GTX 970 and if that "doesn't cut it", get a decent CPU.

PS, I know the 390X is faster than a GTX 970.

Scratch that... just get a decent CPU.  The 390X is great for 99% (a few GameWorks games cripple it)  of games on the market.  Your FX 9XXX is a piece of junk.

Just now, Psykomantis00 said:

The cpu you mentioned isn't for sale anymore on newegg. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117302&cm_re=4460-_-19-117-302-_-Product

If he upgrades to the latest intel platform there is no way he's beating that budget. Even if he goes 1150 he's still coming in above that budget. It's just a poor number. 

Ahem...Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4460-1150-BX80646I54460/dp/B00JIJUBAS

Not really. Like I said, i5 + H97 is close to $250. I honestly don't see why a R9 390X can't handle 1080p.

Spoiler

like many have said, the 390x is perfectly fine for 1080p gaming, your CPU is the bottleneck,.If you get a I5 you will noticed a big improvement in performance....

No point in getting a 980ti or furyX you will still get slow downs in area's that require the CPU is expected to bare the brunt of the load,

Moving over to a intel CPU will be a more effective remedy than upgrading your graphics card.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

You have a 390X... Just wait for polaris or pascal.

And the first thing I'd do is switch to intel. Get a 4690K, 4790K, 6600K, or 6700K build and get the most out of your 390X.

As to Fury X vs 980 Ti, 980 Ti wins majority of the time. Sure there is a few games where Fury X wins, but 980 Ti (non-reference) overall is just faster, especially when overclocked (which is incredibly easy nowdays for GPU)

Got myself a fury x with the G2460PF 144hz 1080p Monitor.

Im gonna keep this machine as secondairy anyways,

When the new intel chip arrives, in 2017, then i might buy a secondairy PC with 4k 120hz along with the new GPU's.

I'm probably not gonna wait for pascal/polaris to upgrade.

Might aswell wait a few year(s) and go with volta/....

Thanks guys extremely for all the amazing feedback, It comes down to the conclusion that my cpu is bottlenecking, I will try to overclock it and see if that helps because buying a new motherboard and intel cpu is going to be expensive. I don't even know why I thought about getting a new graphics card when 1) Im only doing 60hz 1080p gaming and 2) I only recently (past 4 months) got the 390x. 

Thanks again for all the feedback, I appreciate it. For the person that asked, Rainbow Six Siege tells you how much Vram your settings are using based on what you set up.

why would you need to upgrade from an r9 390 if you are playing at 1080p? 390 is really designed for 1440p.