Why is my IP address blacklisted?

djdelarosa25
Go to solution Solved by Marsi,

So today, I tried to make an account for AnandTech's website, but it showed me that my IP address was banned. Strange, since I never even made an account there before.

So I went to a website named BIOS Mods, and proceeded to make an account. After the verification process, it showed me this (picture below)

It seems like my IP is blacklisted, for some unknown reason. My PC is malware-free, I can guarantee that.

How can I "un-blacklist" my IP address?

1111.PNG

Probably IPs in your IP range were marked as spam bot addresses and such and the asshats blacklisted the entire range

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, revsilverspine said:

Probably IPs in your IP range were marked as spam bot addresses and such and the asshats blacklisted the entire range

Damn. What can I do? Will changing my IP address remedy this?

Just now, djdelarosa25 said:

Damn. What can I do? Will changing my IP address remedy this?

Unless your IP range changes when you change your IP, there's not much you can do past contacting the admins of the specific forums asking them to allow account creation (if they'll even let you). Or you could just use a proxy

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

This happened to me quit a few times. I contacted the admins of each forum and told them about the issue, and some of them unbanned the IP, others said...well, they said tough. You can try to contact the admin/s of the forum and see if they will fix the issue for you.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Did you check the two links provided to you in the email you screenshotted? These are the lists that the site you tried to join referrences. One or both of those should have details about what got your IP on the blacklist, and how to get it removed. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

Did you check the two links provided to you in the email you screenshotted? These are the lists that the site you tried to join referrences. One or both of those should have details about what got your IP on the blacklist, and how to get it removed. 

The first link shows that I've been blacklisted by an engine called myWOT, but it doesn't provide details on how to remove the blacklist. The second link just shows details about my IP address.

So then the next step is to look up myWOT and see what they say about the blacklist entry. You hade to fix the issue at the source, getting forum moderators to override their system is not addressing the real issue.

it looks like you should start here: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/How_To_Check_For_Blacklisting

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

If you are on a dynamic IP, you can simply release the DHCP, then turn the modem off for a few minutes, usually that will get you a different IP.

Issues like this become more common as various websites take to banning IPs without thinking about if they are dynamic or not.

2 hours ago, Razor512 said:

If you are on a dynamic IP, you can simply release the DHCP, then turn the modem off for a few minutes, usually that will get you a different IP.

Issues like this become more common as various websites take to banning IPs without thinking about if they are dynamic or not.

Doesn't work if they ban a range of IP's. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Razor512 said:

This doesn't work on all/most ISP's. Instead change the WAN MAC address and reboot the modem. This doesn't work with gateways though. 

Who is your ISP?

It is pretty rare for an IP range to be blocked, it is more common in situations such as if you have an otherwise good forum that is English only but a ton of spambots from Russia keep spamming you, in that case, you can block entire IP ranges, other than that, it is rare, as a ban outside of cases like this may mean also banning many legit users.

For example, if a ton of comcast users were infected and their systems were flooding these forums with spam, then the admins decided to ban the entire IP range registered to comcast, how many users do you think will be blocked from coming to this site?

I have had cases where after a reset of my ONT (verizon fios), I ended up with an IP that was banned on 4chan, but a quick 5 minute reset,got me another IP which allowed access.

Things like this happen, you get an idiot that does something stupid and gets an IP ban, the dynamic nature of it causes someone else to eventually get it, and now they they take the consequences of the actions.

It is like moving to a new house and all of a sudden also getting the criminal record of the previous tenant of the home.