Logging in - small tweak

Wolf_Lbh
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

As has been said above, tab is the standard key to jump to the next field of a form, and enter always submits the form. That is stock browser behaviour, and will not be changed.

It would be nice if when you hit "enter" in the username box instead of trying to log you in it took you to the password box, and when you hit "enter" in the password box, then it would try to log in.

Press tab

this is the standard

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Press tab

this is the standard

Not afaik. It has always been enter in the login box on any site I have used. Nice to know tab works though.

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

Not afaik. It has always been enter in the login box on any site I have used. Nice to know tab works though.

On a mac by any chance?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

On a mac by any chance?

Nope, I'm a strong opponent of mac products. (With the exception of their ipod shuffle 6th gen)

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

Nope, I'm a strong opponent of mac products. (With the exception of their ipod shuffle 6th gen)

I know on macs enter works for everything

for me no site has enter working to go to PW

I've never used software or website which would have enter as go to next field key. I know its used as such in some professional database software. But for Windows, Linux and majority of websites (all of them?) TAB is key to use for next field.

It would be counter-intuitive to change. Not only because majority of users are used to tabbing for next field. But if someone using screenreader or another accessibility software comes here, they get lost pretty quickly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As has been said above, tab is the standard key to jump to the next field of a form, and enter always submits the form. That is stock browser behaviour, and will not be changed.

HTTP/2 203

It's fine if you don't want to change it, but it isn't counter intuitive at all and worked great on every site/program I used it on. I for one am sad about this lack of progress.

20 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

It's fine if you don't want to change it, but it isn't counter intuitive at all and worked great on every site/program I used it on. I for one am sad about this lack of progress.

On the facebook, twitter, twitch and amazon login forms, as well as most others, pressing enter submits the form rather than going to the next field. On Steam, pressing enter in the username field does nothing.

In none of the sites that I tested just now did pressing enter advance to the next field.

HTTP/2 203

7 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

On the facebook, twitter, twitch and amazon login forms, as well as most others, pressing enter submits the form rather than going to the next field. On Steam, pressing enter in the username field does nothing.

In none of the sites that I tested just now did pressing enter advance to the next field.

But why would you want to submit just your username and fail the login 100% of the time? Clearly this should be improved upon.

Just now, Wolf_Lbh said:

But why would you want to submit just your username and fail the login 100% of the time? Clearly this should be improved upon.

That's why you don't press enter when in the username field...

It would be inconsistent if it went to the next field only if there were blank fields on the form, and inconsistency is widely regarded as poor UX design.

It is functioning in the same way as most other sites, which is browser stock behaviour. I don't really want to put in quite a bit of effort to override the browser stock behaviour, to make it non-standard and inconsistent.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

I'm starting to get curious about which software/websites have it switched like that. I've used PCs or Windows 95 and newer OS since 90s and its always been tab for next field.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

That's why you don't press enter when in the username field...

So it doesn't do anything useful and it never will? Excellent design!

55 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

So it doesn't do anything useful and it never will? Excellent design!

Well you use Enter to submit form. Rather than using Tab to jump yet another field. Its actually good design to have two buttons that do different things rather than having one button to do multiple things in same page.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv