Why did the Wii U fail?

EmmaMay

Please can someone tell me why the Wii U failed, was it because of the controller, not enough multi platform games or something else

gimmie a sec

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

because it's just a wii with a crappy drone controller that lasts an hour on batteries.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

I think a lot of people were scared off by the huge controller with a screen thing, as cool as it was with some games it just seemed like a gimmick to me. I would have been happier with an upgraded N64 controller and better hardware in the console itself. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

6 minutes ago, EmmaMay said:

Please can someone tell me why the Wii U failed, was it because of the controller, not enough multi platform games or something else

-Many people did not realise it was a new console, because Wii and Wii U sound very similar, people did not realise it was some sort of new console
-The tablet controller put people off as they thought that was the only way to play
-Lack of 3rd party games, and lack of "blockbuster" titles

-Sub par "hardcore" games due to its lack of power - barely holds up to other next gen consoles, more like a ps3 power

-more people are interested in PC/Xbox/PS3 games like Skyrim, Fallout, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Uncharted, than they are in Mario, Zelza and JRPGs

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The Wii U is a failure in the conventional sense. However, it was a success for Nintendo in terms of adaptation, staying relevant, and proving games that are family-friendly, promote socializing, and include even more interaction than the original Wii. The console's sales numbers were hindered by the impending release of the "next generation" of consoles shortly thereafter, and they simply overshadowed it. A lot of people didn't understand that the Wii U was separate from the Wii, and it's not just a tablet controller. 

That being said, Nintendo has had major success with its first-party titles on the console, and the library for the Wii U is big, solely because of in-house games. 

People don't want to invest in a console if it doesn't have the games they want. Third party developers aren't going to develop for a console if there aren't enough people buying it. Third party developers wanted to wait to see the sales on the console and people wanted to wait to see the third party developers. As you that sort of a thing doesn't fix itself...kind of a negative feedback loop. I'm afraid nothing is going to change for nintendo unless they either make development so easy that it would be just stupid for third parties not to throw their games on the console or they bribe some key developers mega bucks make games for it.

Because console gaming runs in cycles, what's popular for one generation is often unpopular in the next. Mostly because people want something they missed out on in the generation prior. By the time the Wii U launched people had already enjoyed Nintendo's first party experience on the Wii. People were also ready for a console that actually delivered on the promise of HD gaming. The Wii U launched as another Nintendo box with the same games as the Wii and with only a minor upgrade in performance from the 360.

For people like me who always enjoyed the Wii as a secondary box specifically for Nintendo games? For the fans who brought Nintendo's consoles for those big franchises? It delivered. There's nothing particularly wrong with the hardware, there's nothing wrong with the GamePad as a concept. So I take issue with the idea that it's some kind of Virtual Boy 2.0 because it's not. The issue was that most people weren't in that boat. Most people wanted a user-friendly multi-platform box that could do things that the 360 couldn't. The writing was on the wall for the Wii U from day 1 because Nintendo weren't interested in making that product.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

The circlejerk on the Wii U failing is real.

The Wii U, from a sales standpoint, failed. From an install base standpoint, it still made cash just from its install base alone. Splatoon sold an assload of units for a console with only 10 million units. Mario Kart 8 pretty much sold to a 3:5 ratio with the console. Double Dash didn't sell that well IIRC. 

Think of the Wii U like the GameCube except that the Wii U got fucked over by third party developers.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Mostly poor marketing and sharing the "Wii" branding.  They could have literally called it anything else and I think it would have done better.  Hell at the E3 they revealed it they should have revealed the box itself rather than the controller.  All of what they did prior to it made no differentiation between it and its predecessor.  When the Nintendo fan/ consumer doesn't even know its a new console you failed to communicate as a business period.  Like many others have said its a great little system the exclusives are well polished and hell even the online features on the console are a vast improvement over the last generation.

Poor marketing (let's say a prayer for all the people sued by Nintendo for making lets plays)

Touchpad made it hard for 3th party game devs

The above caused no big titles aside from Nintendo themselves

High price for a family console

Etcetera

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Awful name, high price, game starved early on 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Costs too much for what it is, games cost too much for what they are, no Legend of Zelda at launch, no 3rd party support, no actual Metroid

It was missing the stuff Nintendo never includes anyway (like 3rd party support), but also the stuff people expect from Nintendo (like Zelda). I feel ripped off and I never even bought one :P 

Git Gud.

The Wii U failed because it launched without any major releases.

Splatoon, Mario Kart, Super Smash, Mario all came out much later than the release of the console. Hell "Zelda Wii U" doesn't even have a name yet let alone a release! You can't blame 3rd party devs for not working on games for the wii u when it had crap for a consumer base. I mean how many people honestly own just a wii u? I would estimate very very few. Perhaps a few more now given the fairly recent epic releases but those didn't come out until past the halfway point of the wii u's lifecycle so no dev in their right mind would start working on a game for an existing console when every other dev is starting on next gen games.

So in short the wii u didn't get 3rd party support because it didn't give 3rd parties any reason to support it, and didn't get mainstream appeal because it didn't release with many games that had it. Also it didn't have any decent controller until ages after it came out when they released the gamecube controller adapter for like $50 WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT IN!